Sunday, March 31, 2013

~~~"I've Wanted A Mink"~~~

Down at the river again for today's post !!
I have been trying to get photo's of the Mink family that lives there for some time, but I usually see then running the bank on the other side of the river!!
On one of my walks in mid-March I had the opportunity to see one on this tiny island!! He was catching fresh water clams cracking them with his teeth!!  I took photo's, but the sun went behind a cloud,making more shadow then there already was, so a bit disappointing!! 
So these are some I took of which a lot went in the trash!  Some blur as you will see because the river bank has a lot of these red colored bushes, and dried grasses that obscured the view!!

Here I think he had spotted me ...Long and slender carnivores little critter!!

Of into the water he went...all approximately 2 feet-2 pounds of him!!

"The dive" 
 I thought that was it!!

"Bottoms Up"
I loved this when I found it in the downloads!

When he surfaced he was coming right toward me..
"Yikes:.. I had read that they can be vicious little critters that will 
snatch a meal much larger then they are!!

When he popped up over the bank, I was thinking maybe I better run for cover   ; ) 

But no worries...I think he was thinking the same thing I was,  : )
because he ran of on the ice near the edge of the river!!

Then he stopped, and turned around ..Oh great ; )!!

Maybe not sure which way to go... 

A quick bound,and  of he went in his first direction !!

Hope to get another chance, but they are harder to spot when the snow is gone!!
It is mostly gone now, and I don't really want any more soooo.... 
I will be satisfied with these  : )

25 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, these are GREAT! the one where he stopped couldn't be any better! nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures. In that one picture he seems to be giving you a look that says,stay off my turf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT magical captures in the wild! Really impressive. I am glad you kept your verve and kept shooting. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great photos you got of the little guy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant shots. I really enjoyed these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots . A special moment indeed

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH wow, Cool shots and sighting of the mink. They are cute critters. Have a great day, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great series was provided by Mink, enjoyed all the pictures.

    Ottar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some nice shooting GG, shame it wasn't a gun you were using. We have these animals in the wild now unfortunately, they were not introduced and are not native. They were being bred in Mink Farms and so called 'Protesters' released them into the wild. What the idiots did not appear to realise or even care was that they have caused a lot of damage and killed off many of our resident mammals and ground nesting birds now that they are in the wild. At least country people are allowed to hunt and kill them which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bardzo dobre zdjęcia. Nie jest łatwo to uchwycić. Pozdrowienia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Teresa... : )


    Thanks Ruth.. : )

    Thanks Arija...lol : )


    Thanks Terry..: )


    Thanks Adrian..glad you enjoyed : )


    Thanks Deb's...where you been hiding yourself : )


    Thanks Eileen... : )


    Thanks Ottar ... : )


    Thanks Roy (I think anyway) Yes I know about the supposed problems that the releasing of the Mink has caused Maine had some very large Mink and Fox farms years ago, and the same similar situation as you described happened here, but my understanding is that a lot of them died of not being able to make it in the wild! It is a rare occasion to see one in the wild here!
    The situation there may be worse,but we have more problems with Weasel, Fishers,and Raccoon then any other predators on domestic animal and birds here in Maine!! The Mink is a meal for many raptors and animals such as the Coyote and Fox and Fishers!!
    Can we can agree to
    disagree my friend??? ; )


    Thanks Tojav...: )

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great sequence Grace, lovely photos. I love the 'bottoms up' one and the one where it pops up over the bank :-)

    As Roy says they are a problem over here though. Not their fault of course but the fault of us humans...as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jan...I like to just keep clicking and seeing the results, always get some cute ones : )
    I agree..the fault of humans as
    usual :( !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't be getting greedy! I think you got some great shots and had a great opportunity! Not much around here of interest at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, those are fantastic photos Grace, beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope this lone mink doesn't bring too many friends around cause some folks might be thinking of a fur coat...for themselves. Looks like your photo subject was just as frightened of humans as you might have been of him/her, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful images Grace... we have minks locally but they are trying to eradicate them as they are not a natural species to the UK... escapees from fur farms years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just incredible and I am so glad you shared them with us...I have never seen minks in the wild....The full face shot is amazing; I think you might want to frame that one....

    I am glad he decided not to have you for lunch....

    ReplyDelete
  19. We will just have to disagree then.
    They are certainly after many years still causing a great deal of damage to nature, as are most of the 'Protesters' who are still causing damage to our welfare system by drawing benefits rather than working.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos of an unusual animal for most of us! Love the tail in the air shot :-) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos. I've only seen these a few times in my life--and then only a glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You got some great shots there Grace, especially that one where the mink just stood still looking at you. Couldn't believe its own eyes I guess. I'm well and truly gripped cos I've never seen a mink, never even bought Sue one either.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful encounter and fantastic set of pictures. i love the one with only the tail out of the water... Looks like a submarine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. First time on your blog for a long, long time. You have soooo many pics to look at. Love the barns and also the mink. Keep shooting. Luv ya, Sis

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Sis..took me a bit to figure where you left the comment!!
    Glad you came by and you liked my photos!! I really enjoy doing this!!

    ReplyDelete