Monday, March 25, 2013

~~~The Last Post~~of Orr's and Bailey's Island that is !!


Our chilly beach walk digging through piles of shells, looking for sea glass "of which my daughter found two green pieces, me none, and Debbie who commented she would have kept looking and not missed the one I found only in the downloaded  shots " she is determined when it comes to sea glass!!  ( Debbie's blog link is in previous post on Saturday's ( Part ll )
We piled back in the truck ( if you saw that you remember she is a pick up girl ; }) !!  Got the heat cranked up, thawed out the grandsons sock-less feet.. "love that kid" : ), and moved  on!!

This is the dead end street looking at another angle area of Mackerel Cove!!
Good thing there is a sign or you could just drive out over the edge ; )!!
The photo is a bit blurry, but this is about the time My daughter said  ""Mom beside your window"!!
Me "What" ..She "Mockingbird "!! Yes this is where we saw, and got the shots
of the Mockingbird that I posted on last Tuesday's WBW and it's time again so 
check out Wild Bird Wednesday, and add your bird shot's

 Lobster boat heading into the cove to dock!!
I can't imagine how cold that job is!! 

The ever present Herring Gull , in either first or second year plumage!!

Adult Herring Gull 
Scavenger's and ever present at the beach,just waiting
 for you to move away from your lunch, or sometimes not move,  to snatch 
your lunch  from you!!  ; }

Very much photographed is this shack!! 
 It is a focal spot on any search of Casco Bay region!!

Camouflage duck !!
Mrs.Mallard is hard to spot in this setting

This is on a bit of beach  showing at low tide at the end of the road ..
can't go any more !! 


This is known mostly as Lands End at the tip of Bailey's Island!!

Halfway Rock Lighthouse !!
Supposedly it is 12 miles of shore ..don't quote me on that!

Bronze Monument sit's on the top of a ledge 
at the tip in dedication to all lobster men who make this there living!

This is where we reverse direction,and head back home 
Hope you enjoyed!!


18 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures! This looks like a nice play to stay or to live! ;-)

    Greetings from the Netherlands,
    DzjieDzjee

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really moving series Grace. The lobsters their do they have big claws like ours?
    The ones down in Florida and the Caribbean seemed clawless to me.
    I love looking at harbours and what is left of the serious work that went on in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE that shack! so colorful and full of character! love the gulls, too. and the lighthouse in the distance. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently GG, years ago Lighthouse Keepers use to have to row to it from Portland (11 miles).

    ReplyDelete
  5. you got some wonderful images grace!

    love the shack and all the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Gert Hans .. : }


    Thanks Adrian...yes they do have the big claws, my favorite part actually, sweet and tender!!

    Thanks Teresa... That shack is sure colorful!! ; )

    Thanks Roy... Is that 11 nautical miles? You get your row boat over here, you row I'll ride, and we will check that out haha!! : )


    Thanks Debbie...: }

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos again ! It is hard making a living as a fisherman , my uncle did it for 50 years ! Thanks for sharing this lovely trip with us. Have a good evening !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shack, balancing on the rocks, and Herring Gulls, singing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing more of your day and I especially loved that old shack...

    Thank you for showing us this area...I always love getting to see places that are new to me...You really have some great shots...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Grace. Another great set of images from your road trip. I could (would!) spend hours photographing that colouful shack, it's a beauty!!

    It would appear that your fisherman, just like ours, are experiencing hard times at the moment.

    And Grace, please will you buy that poor kid some bloody socks!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so lucky ... we have lots of sea glass that washes up on the beach in front of our house. Hubby is getting worried that the house is becoming run over with too much sea glass!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat old shack. I admire what the lobster men and fishermen off the New England coast endure. I'd never make the grade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grace, lovely series of images from your trip. The shack with the beautiful colors is my favorite. But, I also love the gulls and the mallard. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nautical or Imperial, it didn't say. Speed boat would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Grace, I've just caught up with the first part of your adventure as well as this and it sounds and looks like you had a great time and got some great photos too. I think the shells would have fascinated me more than the glass. I used to love collecting shells when on holidays at the seaside as a child. That little shack was intriguing, it looked like one good shove and it would pitch into the water ;-) In the first Mallard photo it took me a while to find her at first!! I think camouflage is really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. (i think with the time change, i've noticed his WBW opens at about 10 a.m. central time, now - used to be 9.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Elaine...: )

    Thanks Bob..you liked my music : )

    Thanks Nancy...Glad you enjoyed : )


    Thanks Trevor...that place has been photographed many times, it will fall soon I think by the looks!!
    Ya socks...sure lol!! : )


    Thanks Reena...You lucky Girl..I know a place up that way, in Winterport I need to go there!! : )


    Thanks John..ya It's a tough
    life : )


    Thanks Eileen..The shack is a winner! : )



    ReplyDelete
  18. Roy...We are talking this side of the pond ; )
    The Imperial Or Admiralty mile was measured in knots and has no meaning here since it was no longer used after 1970!! Thus we are back to the
    Us nautical 11 miles compared to the UK equal being 10.993 nautical miles !!
    How about you swim out to the lighthouse..I am sure there is a device that can be worn that measure distance!


    Thanks Jan...Yes I agree one shove, who knows my shot might be one of the last taken lol!! : )


    Thansk T ...I wait and see

    ReplyDelete