I Imagine you all are tired of seeing my snow, but you have to admit it is beautiful...or not say how you feel about it : ) !! Being retired, and not having to worry about getting out in it does make it easier to take !!
Then just this week I saw a story on the local and world news, about a little girl with cancer that wanted to see snow, so the Make a Wish Foundation made it possible for her to come to Maine !! That little girl was so excited sliding, tubing, riding in a dog sled, making a snowman... it just makes you realize the things we take for granted that we complain and grumble about everyday !!
So here we are back with more photo's from this past Sunday's storm!!
During the storm the Red Squirrel had no problem getting to the seeds,
he just made a tunnel : )
I know more Bluebirds, but I have to tell you about my latest mealy worm feeder invention !!
It seems the Starlings got wind of how good the worms are, and where chasing of the Bluebirds!!
So I made this 16 inch long 6x6 inch box, which has open ends with a half door that flips up
so I can put in seed and clean it !! : )
Drilled holes just a little bigger then a bird house for them would have,
added a branch for landing, and "Walla" your done!!
They took to it right away..3 can be inside at the same time!!
(Trevor..I have a rough draft) ; )
"Ya" I know you have seen my feeder line up before, but did you notice this new one in the middle!
I bought a package of 4 plastic dinner plates on the mark down shelf for 50 cents at good old
Wally-World (aka Wal-Mart) had an empty 32.oz container that peanuts came in
(which I ate.. not the squirrels) A bolt, nut and a hook from the garage stash..
got myself a cheap feeder!!
I love when your clicking away and something like the Goldfinch to the left shows up...
suspended in time !!
Okay now to the left... here is my other home made feeder
using the other two plates and a 2 liter soda bottle ""I really like that is is green to : )""lol
"Bingo" cheap feeder #2! Something has to be cheap ..it is not cheap to feed the birds!
I'll leave you with these lovely scenes from the back yard after the storm!! : )
beautiful, thick snows! wow! love all the goldfinches at your feeders - and love that you make 'em yourself. the bluebirds are really happy with you, too!
ReplyDeletep.s. your squirrel is adorable!
ReplyDeleteLike seeing how thick the snow piled on top of the feeders. Very clever of your regarding the bluebird feeder as too your other home-made feeders.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, Wow! is there no end to your talents? I'm sure, given how much bird feeders cost, there's a few quid..'o alright!...bucks to be made there..I can see a new cottage industry starting up in your neighbourhood soon!
ReplyDeleteGreat images of the birds on the feeders, and of the snow, although it looks much better when it's in your yard than if it were in mine!!...[;o)
Your creativity is amazing.All three feeders look great and it seems that the birds love them.With that many birds around you had better find cheap ways to make feeders.Now if only the cost of the feed was cheap as well.I love the last several snow scene.This shows the beauty of winter,and there is a lot of it.
ReplyDeleteReally super photos GG.
ReplyDeleteLove the Bluebird and the mass 'Eat in'.
Thanks Teresa..ya lot of bird traffic
ReplyDeletehere : )
Thanks John...That storm different have any wind so it piled up pretty good : )
Thanks Trevor...I don't know about that, but it keeps me out of trouble : )
Thanks Ruth...Put out the seeds in anything and the birds don't
care : )
Thanks Roy...glad your not getting tired of seeing the Bluebirds and snow : )
WoW grace, standing room, or should i say hoovering room only at your feeders.
ReplyDeletethe home made ones are so clever and look store bought in the pictures!! you one handy girl!!
the untouched snow with the pretty sunlight and shadows are magical!!
Your garden looks like a fairy tale! Absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lot of birds come to your free take-away! Probably more expensive than feeding a dog.
Isn't it satisfying to see then well fell though? So many little souls relying on your generosity and ingenuity in feeder construction. I bet your bluebirds love you to bits.
Grammie at the feeders in snow, the title of my new record. Lots of them, cheers Grace.
ReplyDeleteWow, get that snow! Looks harmless enough from where I'm sitting right now next to a warm radiator, but all your pictures are superb today Grace, even down to the squirrel hiding from you under the snow. I'm impressed once again by your spirit of invention in devising that feeder for the Bluebirds, super job. Boy you must have been hungry eating a 32oz container all to yourself - hope you didn't damage your molars. I counted over 40 birds in that one picture - great job keeping all those little fellas alive through the winter.
ReplyDeleteGrace, love the neat meal worm feeder for the bluebirds. And your other homemade feeders are great too. Looks like they are very popular with all those Goldies. All the birds must love your yard and feeder set-up. Great photos! Happy Sunday!
ReplyDeleteNice group of pictures- I especially like the squirrel - they seem to always find a way to the seed.
ReplyDeleteIt does look beautiful Grace but I bet it's a pain in the neck after a while..
ReplyDeleteThe shots of your feeders really made me smile.
Thanks Debbie...a fresh snow cover is magical!! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks you Arija...I enjoy being able to do this ...feeding a dog just may be cheaper : )
Thanks Bob..I'll be looking for it to be released lol : )
Thanks Phil...you should be impressed...and no I didn't eat those peanuts all at once I had that bottle since before Christmas : )
Thanks Eileen.. Yes I have a big crew of Goldies all the time : )
Thanks John...They are survivors those little devils : )
Thanks Andrew..glad I made you smile : )
As usual, a varied and great posts from you, nice and interesting pictures.
ReplyDeleteOttar
Grace, you are one resourceful New Englander that's for sure as those homemade feeders look wonderful and so colorful and obviously attract a large group. WOW on the oldfinches as I have only seen a couple here. I get lots of cardinals and juncos instead.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are so right that too many folks take things for granted and grumble more than they should.
I've never seen so many birds at once like that. So beautiful. Love your snow photos and the little squirrel is adorable.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos of your snow! Good work on the homemade feeders--all the birds care about is if they can get to the grub!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how I got so far behind! I've missed a lot of great stuff you posted. Love all those birds in the snow. That squirrel is just so cute :-) Would love to see it tunneling. I like your arbor with the snow and the tree. Lovely!
ReplyDelete