Tuesday, March 12, 2013

~~~River Ducks~~~


I walk to the river near by can be a find or no find when it comes seeing ducks!!   The problem is they hear me coming walking on the paved road, so before I get to the bridge they are moving out!!
On this day the  Male Common Mergansers where near the bridge, and of course they swam of quickly up river so a shot just enough to know who they are!!

Swimming up river!!

On the other side three Males swimming down river!!


I heard a splash of water, and out from under the bridge came the Mrs. Merganser, and as you can see 
looks much different than the male!!
I like the way the  feather on her sides seem to blend with the water!!

Heading up along the river I came across Mr. and Mrs. Mallard !!
They are ducks you usual can find here!
The Mrs. using those big webbed feet like snowshoes 
to walk on the snow! : )


The Mr. taking a stroll along the edge of the river 
with his snowshoes on!!

Then a together shot ..well a little distant from each other
.maybe a disagreement going on!!


linking to Wild Bird Wednesday

23 comments:

  1. the mallards in the snow made me smile. i always like those goofy mergansers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of the ducks and the ripples on the water are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mrs. Merganser with her unruly hair...Wonder what she's been up to?

    Your shots are beautiful with the ducks walking on the snow...Pretty contrast.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos ! That's usually what happens to me near the river here as soon as they see or hear me their gone . Oh well one day ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the Mergansers, they have a pretty "do". Great shots of the Mallards with their bright orange legs and feet. Thanks for sharing, Grace. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to imagine what a tough time ducks must have walking on ice and snow!
    Very nice post and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a treat grace, you got some really beautiful images!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mergansers will not sit still for us photographers. Still, you got some some good parting shots. The mallards on the snow, how good is that. Thanks Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to sneak up on them GG. {:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Teresa : )


    Thanks Mick ..: )


    Thanks Nancy....ya she has unruly hair poor thing : )!!

    Thanks Elaine...Ya they sure in tune with there surroundings! : )


    Thanks Eileen... : )


    Thank You Hans..: )


    Thanks Wally...amazing the weather that ducks can live in! : )


    Thanks Debbie.. : )


    Thanks Larry...yes they are : )


    Thanks Roy...I wore my sneakers ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Mallard on the snow with it's reflection in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great duck series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Grace, You'll have to practice creeping up behind them on tipee toes!!
    Great shots of Mrs. M in the water and the other Mrs. M in her snow shoes!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos Grace, and yes it is hard to take good shots before they start hearing us but you got some great ones here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful set of pictures and I've been seeing common mergansers all winter too
    But I've to admit that your little fellow in your header is splendid ;-) Love it very much...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Mergansers, yours is perfect, cheers Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice! I like the reflection in the water of the bright orange legs of the Mr.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great set of pictures. Their feet do look bright in the snow.

    I dont thin we should be any more upset by hawks than be a blade of grass - they are both just as natural.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love 'ducking'. I remember the first time my brother-in-law brought me to the river with his scope - I was so amazed at all the different species. With the naked eye, they all just looked like ducks! Great series of photos!! Thanks for visiting my blog!! Happy day, karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just doing some catch up reading. It is amazing how it can be winter and then, almost overnight, the melt is on ... and the birds are back enforce. We have geese back but no ducks.

    I had to laugh at watching for the snow to fall off of the top branches. I've watched it kerplunk but never thought to take a picture of it falling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful ducks! I don't usually get to see mergansers anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the mallards reflections in the water. Such a cute pair!

    ReplyDelete