Tuesday, April 2, 2013

~~~American Bald Eagle~~~

Little did I know when I left the house on Sunday afternoon to take my walk that within 25 ft after leaving my driveway the first thing I 'd see would be a Bald Eagle circling over my neighbors house !
"Darn it" If your thinking she didn't take a camera..yup your right !!!  I had walked the day before with the camera, and didn't see a thing..no birds, ducks,squirrels,..null..nada...,so what do you think I did?  Well of course I made a bee line back to the house for the camera!!
By the time I got back out there, and found it,it was farther away than I had hoped!!

"American Bald Eagle"
   
These are the only two I could get before he circled down behind the tree line at the river!!

When he came back into sight it had another with it.. 
They where  far of, but I tryed anyway!!
These next very poor cropped cropped, and more cropped   : ) photo's I am showing only
because I was fascinated with there in flight behavior, so beautiful..and did 
I ever wish they where closer!!







They where so synchronized...like seeing double !!
I can't explain the beauty of watching them soar together...
it just took my breathe away !!  
Probably a good thing they where so far of I might have passed out ; )!!




I am showing this for the view of the top side of wing of a most likely
 third year immature bird!!
It will be mature and of breeding age at about four to five years ,and at which time it 
will have the white head, and tail with dark colored wings!!
Both male and female look alike, with the exception that the female is a larger bird!!



"The American Bald Eagle"
Because of  it's long life, great strength, and it's majestic look, 
it became the official bird emblem of the United States in 1782!!

Did you know that Bald Eagles aren't bald ? 
At one time bald meant white !!




Linking to "Wild Bird Wednesday"

28 comments:

  1. so incredibly impressive! i'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great flight photos, well done!
    Happy WBW to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos ! I am the same , when I take my camera not much to photograph when I don't take it there is lots to photograph lol wonder why that is ? Murphy's law I suppose lol Good thing you were able to capture them most of the time it is to late when we run in to get our cameras ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got great pictures and then to watch this interaction,now that's special. The second eagle is an immature as both male and female mature birds have the white head and tail.BTW,they only get the full white head and tail at about 4 years of age.Just an interesting little bit of info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnificent birds and I'm glad you went back for your camera. I once watched Ospreys flying in synchronization and that was great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splended set of photos, they mst have been hard to keep in focus.


    peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a site to see these great beautiful birds in person....Special gift for you that day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive photos Grace and such an exciting episode. I would have loved to be in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice! I got some flight photos of our local Bald Eagles this morning. It is such a thrill when they wheel about and provide such an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic Grace! I still get so excited to see a bald eagle. What a fantastic moment to see two flying together. j&s

    ReplyDelete
  12. It doesn't matter that they are cropped and enlarged! This is a fascinating series of shots! Well done Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First rule: Never, never leave your camera behind when you go for a walk! That being said, you still got some good shots and you were fortunate enough to watch the show. I love your crocus in the header. They don't grow here, unless you force them in a pot, so it's a treat for me to see them. Our snow is just starting to melt, so there's nothing popping up yet anyway. I loved your series on the mink and the reflections! I get a little behind on my blog reading and you pop up with several lovely posts! Fortunately they don't have an expiration date.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Grace..What a great sight to see, not one but two, of these stunning birds soaring and displaying almost over your house!...it's a good job you had your camera close to hand (!!!???!!!) and were able to take these shots to share with us!...cropped or not, they still bring us (especially us on the other side of the pond) a good insight into this great bird's behaviour!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is nothing wrong with a bit of cropping. We have all seen sky before.
    They are magical birds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...glad you went back for the camera! They do look very synchronized. A nice ballet performance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love them--especially the photos of the eagles in flight together. I know if I leave the house without a camera, I always end up regretting it! I think you got some wonderful photos in spite of having to go back for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Teresa.. : )


    Thanks Hans....: )


    Thanks Elaine... I guess we all do that ...: )

    Thanks Ruth...yes I didn't think about that!! : )


    Thanks Mick...Osprey's must have been lovely too!! : )


    Thanks Peter...I just keep moving,and clicking ,and hoping for the best.. : )

    Thanks Nancy..yes very special : )


    Thanks Denise...it is thrilling...what size shoe do you ware hahaha ; )

    Thanks Ken..that is great .... : )


    Thanks J&S... I bet you do..: )


    Thanks Katie..I appreciate hearing that... : )


    Thanks Karen...: )


    Thanks you Elaine.... I will follow rule #1 from now
    on ; )...Long winters there, but it is a lovely place to live hope things start pooping up soon!! : )

    Thanks Trevor..I appreciate that coming from you..your photos are always great!! It is nice to be able to see what goes on in nature on your side of the pond too,and I don't even have to leave my
    chair ; )


    Thanks Adrian...Good point, and yes that are beautiful!!


    Thanks Mary....Me too,although I wish I hadn't left without it! : )


    Thanks Kateri...I have to find a way to take it out when gardening without harming it's when I see a lot of birds, but my hands are usually dirty : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mink and now Bald Eagle. I'm getting mightily impressed - except with you not having the camera first time around. I'll bet those little legs of yours ran like heck across the porch to grab the camera when you saw those beauties? Nice fly past they performed for you GG and nice shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice shots, Grace, just for the beauty of the eagle's flight. Thanks for the info too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what an exciting moment. i am both jealous and very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just being able to watch such a magnificent bird soar is reward all of its own.
    To have captured the event to share with others is something special.
    Thank you!

    - Wally

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thats some yard bird! Most people are happy with a few finches - or in may case parrots! - but eagles? Thats remarkable.

    Nice set of pictures.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW- Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice- I have a hard time with flying birds- always take your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cropped or not, this is a marvelous souvenir and surely a beautiful experience which we can truly feel through the text and pictures. A pure marvel this post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post Grace! I love reading what you have to say. It is well written and always a bit humoristic, and I like that.
    You were lucky to see those two together; even cropped we can see the beauty of their flight together, so nice.
    Thanks for sharing these special moments!
    Have a great weekend,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's awesome! I've only ever seen a bald eagle a couple of times, you did well to capture them.

    ReplyDelete