It is that time of year again when the Maple tree releases that watery substance called sap that is boiled down to make a deep golden syrup ,that is quite costly !!
There is also a great interest in the sap by the Black Capped Chickadee!! For years now I have seen them drinking sap from the Maple tree on my lawn ,but couldn't get a good picture !!
When I was walking the other day I came across a Chickadee flitting about in a small Maple by the edge of the road!! He was drinking sap that was running down the tree, and didn't seem to care about my presences!!
linking to Wild Bird Wednesday
There is also a great interest in the sap by the Black Capped Chickadee!! For years now I have seen them drinking sap from the Maple tree on my lawn ,but couldn't get a good picture !!
When I was walking the other day I came across a Chickadee flitting about in a small Maple by the edge of the road!! He was drinking sap that was running down the tree, and didn't seem to care about my presences!!
There was some broken bark leaking sap probably done by the snowplows blades
throwing rocks or nicking it !!
He seemed to have a point of interest though with a good run, and was
having a good go at it !!
If you have ever tasted the sap, you probably know that it taste like water
with just a hint of sweetness to it , and it seems he was getting his sugar fix!!
I think he saw me,because he moved to another place!!
So I left him be and went on my way !!
I love Maple syrup....It's great on porridge. Lucky little bird.
ReplyDeleteHow neat to have your own maple syrup tree, as I had my dear old Log Cabin this morning ;) Your pictures are delightful, such a sweet little bird and as Adrian said, a very lucky one.
ReplyDeleteYou caught me on the hop Grace! I missed two of your posts :-( but have just enjoyed catching up with them. I was very impressed with your home made feeders, what a great idea!
ReplyDeleteLove all the Black Capped Chickadee photos on this and the last post. They are vey much like our Marsh, Willow and Coal Tits. Interesting behaviour with the Maple syrup.
When you were waiting for the snow to fall I was wondering if you were suddenly going to shin up the tree and get a photo from the other angle ;-)
Forgot to say, beautiful photos throughout!!
ReplyDeleteGrace, it is wonderful that you noticed the Chickadee drinking the maple sap. He/She does look like they were enjoying this treat. Great captures!
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos ! Yes this past weekend here in Ontario they had our Maple sirup festival for the opening season ! Have a good day !
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, What, no pancakes and ice cream?
ReplyDeleteExcellent series of images, well spotted...[;o)
Looks like he was having his fill before others found the treat....
ReplyDeleteThese are great pictures. Birds really like that sap.
ReplyDeleteLovely shots of a sweet little bird GG.
ReplyDeleteMy heavens, you get some incredible shots! These are great. I didn't know birds like maple sap. Yup, I've seen a lot of tapped maple trees around here lately.
ReplyDeleteYUMMM I bet its delicious. I LOVE these shots Grace!!
ReplyDeletehow cool! wouldn't have expected that from a chickadee. :)
ReplyDeleteThats a great set of pictures - never heard of this type of bird (which we dont get in Australia, but were common in the UK) drinking sap.
ReplyDeleteCheers and thanks for linking to WBW.
Stewart M - Melbourne
You sure did get some good snaps of this cutie!! You will easily recognize him during the summer, he's sure to be a bit chubbier then the other chickadees!!
ReplyDeleteA wonderful post Grace and what a lovely little bird... beautiful images.
ReplyDeleteWell we all need our sugar fix Grace, even me as sweet as can be. Trouble is i'm still waiting for that jar of home made cookies you promised me some while back. I'll bet you went and gave them to someone else - the guy who fixed your door or the postman who handed over my Christmas parcel to you? Only kidding my little chickadeedee.
ReplyDeleteGrace, now if that chickadee had a mini plate of pancakes to go with the syrup he would surely have been a happy fellow. (Hope that Phil gets his cookkies soon.)
ReplyDeleteHad not seen that before- thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteFun photos - that bird is certainly getting his maple fix! And to answer your question, the tall thing in my third photo is a windsock for the people who jump off that mountain in their hang gliders and paragliders (I can't imagine hiking up the trail with that much gear, let alone throwing myself off a perfectly good mountain).
ReplyDeleteHi Grace. Great shots of the Chickadee getting its sugar fix. He sure seems to be enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your Chickadee!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photographs.
I wonder if he is actually scooping up insects which have been attracted by the sap?
He may have been watching his Sapsucker friends!
Either way, looks like he's enjoying himself!
simply beautifully captured shots...lovely!
ReplyDeletethat's cool. I've not seen them do that!
ReplyDeleteWhat's all this talk of Dorothy Grace? is she a friend of yours? I want you to know I am not a friend of Dorothy's, just in case you were trying to find out.
ReplyDeleteNeat! I didn't know that chickadees would drink sap. Wonderful photos of this!
ReplyDelete