During the storm we had this past Sunday four Blue Jays came down on the deck looking for seeds!!.... "No" that is not unusual, but I do have a hard time to get photos of them,because I find them quite skittish!!
I had been taking shots through the window of other birds, so I was ready when they landed, but in no time three flew of with the one below staying behind searching for food!!
The colors of blue against the snow is beautiful!!
Came up with a beak cover in snow!!
I thought something was unusual looking with it here!!
Them more so here!!
Then "oh my" the poor guy has a strange length to it's upper beak !!
If you are familiar with the Blue Jay did you notice it right off???
This is what they usually look like !
I did a Google search: This happens when the keratin layer of the beak becomes overgrown causing a
elongated beak usually the upper,or other deformities!! Check this link for more info it is very interesting http://birds.audubon.org/faq/what-would-cause-deformed-beak
Hi Grace, Beautiful colours and markings they have. That long bill didn't seem to hamper it any, it looks like it may be a distinct advantage for digging out those seeds that are buried deep in the snow!...[;o)
ReplyDeletewow! very large beak!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos ! We have lots here and they are pigs and push the other birdies around for food ! I put peanuts out for them and they just hoard and gorge ! Did you know Blue jays can mimic other bird calls like the hawk or an Eagle sound ? they do this to get the other birds away from the food so they can feed ! It is a sloppy slushy mess here with heavy wet snow and rain ! Have a good day !
ReplyDeleteglad you got some nice photos of them, they are a pretty bird.
ReplyDeleteHe looks healthy otherwise. I was going to say,I've heard of sticking your head in the sand,but never in the snow.:)
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely birds your Blue Jays are! I have seen other members of the Crow family with elongated beaks here in the U.K., just 'our' Rooks or Carrion Crows, perhaps it is a problem with this genus of bird?
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES
Brilliant pictures of the Blue Jays, what a beautiful bird even when they have a larger beak.
ReplyDeleteNot only is it long its kinda curved too...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful shots Grace, they are one of my favorite birds!!
The beak does seem longer and curvy! It seems to be eating well and not bothered by the weird beak. Grace, great shots of your Jays!
ReplyDeleteYou have taken some really great shots here GG.
ReplyDeleteThanks Trevor..you have a good
ReplyDeletepoint lol : }
Thanks Teresa : )
Thanks Elaine..Ya they are piggish, but they don't come to much!! : )
Thanks Terry.. :)
Thanks Ruth... : )
Thanks John ... : )
Thanks Bob...There colors are great!! : )
Thanks Sondra.. yes that to : )
Thanks Eileen ..He does look healthy : )
Thanks Roy...appreciated...even with snow?? : )
Our chickadees here in Alaska get the elongated beaks, and sometimes they get very long and curl around quite dramatically. I've had them several times at my feeders for several winters now. Seems like they disappear as the winter goes further along. I think the beaks just keep growing and they just aren't able to get enough food to survive. Lots of theories about the cause but no definitive answer yet.
ReplyDeleteThey are wonderful birds. Awful weather for them.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace, Wonderful birds, cousins to our Sibirian Jay which we have here.
ReplyDeleteBlue Jays are great looking birds - and the one with the extra beak looks like he's doing OK.
ReplyDeleteCheers and thanks for linking to WBW.
Stewart M - Melbourne
This is a new and exciting bird for me, great pictures you got in the snow!
ReplyDeleteOttar
Poor guys and gals all blue because they have to dig down in that snow to find the food you buried Grace. Now if you had gotten on your wellies then out there with a very shovel, a big strong brush for an hour or two you could have made a good clear spot for the Blue Jays. Unless of course it just snows quicker than you can move the damn stuff. Anyway what the heck, those are pretty good photos. Hey it was cold today, -5 at dawn but we had sun fairly soon after. Roll on Spring for both of us chilled out dudes.
ReplyDeleteMake them work a bit for their treats, Grace. Around here, the blue jays will take over the feeder and not share well. Still I do like their colors so won't shoo them off as I do the starlings and grackles.
ReplyDeleteOh MY! What a sight to see! It sure does look strange. Makes me want to capture the bird and file the beak back to normal!
ReplyDeleteLovely images.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds to see Grace and how much snow!
ReplyDeleteWhat great shots of a cold-looking bird. I never would have noticed the upper beak, but after you point it out it's obvious!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post! I've never seen a blue jay with such a beak but I noticed it right away in the first picture, I knew there was something different. This is because I see them every day and I am used to their physiognomy. Great pictures and nice discovery. Thanks for sharing this.
Have a nice weekend,
Louise
Lovely photos of your Blue Jay Grace. Whenever I've seen them on blogs over there I think how pretty they are. I've read articles about this sort of beak deformity, it seems to have become more prevalent lately or maybe people are just noticing and reporting it more. Around 32!!! different species have been noted with it over here including members of the tit family and Robins.
ReplyDeleteI hope that snow goes soon Grace, make sure you keep warm and safe :-)
Poor bird! A white-breasted nuthatch with a super elongated beak is present here in central Ohio this winter. There's starting to be a lot of research on this because it is becoming so much more prevalent. Some of the documented birds' beaks are so disturbing. Hoping we figure out what's causing this asap!
ReplyDeleteInteresting capture! I have not seen that on any of my blue jays! Wonder if it interferes with eating?
ReplyDeleteWoW, they do look beautiful in the snow!! i put out shelled peanuts for my blue jays and believe me they will do anything for peanuts, including posing for pictures. plus they always take their time because they are big hogs!!
ReplyDeletenow i will be checking all my blue jay's beaks!!
I have never seen a bird with a beak like that, found this very interesting. Thanks Grace!
ReplyDeleteI didn't notice it at first...how odd it looks! I had a house finch with an odd beak this year...maybe it was the same problem, only it seemed to be the lower half that was big and odd shaped.
ReplyDelete