I was very intensely approaching the flower it seemed to prefer when I saw a large shadow swoop across the lawn ...no.. not a butterfly ...a Turkey Vulture!!
Of course eyes to the sky now and not prepared for that...I clicked away anyway!!
Turkey Vulture!!!
Red bald head and a beak that can rip the toughest animal hide!!
They have a keen since of smell, and are attracted to
a decaying animal in the early stages by a gas that is omitted!! "yuck"
I wondered if I was dead and didn't know it ...lol...or what was dead near me!!
They have a long wingspan ...I read 6ft ...is that possible
that's 5 inches taller than me !!
There flight is a silent soaring with a slight rocking back and forth motion
as they circle and area over forest or open fields
foraging for food!!
I was a little surprised when I say this shot with his head turned
completely to one side ...was he looking at me ....eeeks!
They are here from early spring until late fall, and I see them on a daily
basis, but never this close ....
There is about 5 out over the woods and fields around my area, and I
do like to watch them soar !!
There is a lot of information I didn't know about them !!
They have been called natures garbage collectors, but serve a very important
role in keeping down disease in animals, and birds!

Wow wow wow wow... Not the one you expected but one fantastic one anyway..... Iðve seen them, or one in Chile and I found it very impressive, cause I was watching over a cliff, birds on the beach, and this guy just felw above my head with a big big noise!!! I would have love to get pictures like yours thought ;-) Splendid set of pictures you got there!
ReplyDeleteI second that Wow wow wow!
ReplyDeleteWhat a stunning bird to see over your garden and so lucky you had the camera to hand. Nature can be so kind to us sometimes..xx
Fantasic photos. We have a lot of these scavengers here as well. Have a wonderful eve.
ReplyDeletei do like these guys and their black vulture cousins. :)
ReplyDeletei love your pictures. i think it is a lovely, necessary bird that is graceful in flight.
ReplyDeletethese teach us once again, never leave home without your camera!!
Amazing photos of the turkey vulture. I don't think I've ever seen one, but no doubt they've been around these parts....
ReplyDeleteThey are beautiful the Turkey Vulture. Oh yes, Neil Young just carry on producing better and better, he is a genius.
ReplyDeleteAgain Fantastic photos.
ReplyDeleteThey are awesome birds to watch as they soar around the sky. Wonderful photos.
ReplyDeleteWow what a wingspan and to have it circling over you. Both thrilling and scary. If you are typing, then you are alive so point that fellow yonder-way as you be breathin'. A little southern talk for-ya.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures. I think these guys are gorgeous in flight.
ReplyDeleteThey have a necessary purpose, the clean up crew. As ugly as they are close up you have captured their beauty in flight. I think they are amazing birds and you showed part of that with your photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks Grace.
Grace......Gotcha ADD!!!!
ReplyDeleteBetter the Vulture than an old Butterfly. It's beautiful.
What a fabulous post Grace. Made me tingle. I am in awe of such birds and find them so magical.
ReplyDeleteI often stand in the fields and watch Red Kites soar in the skies above......they bewitch me.
Tku for sharing this moment in time with us.
HI Chris...You are way to kind , but I'll take the compliment..; } thanks sweetie!!
ReplyDeleteHi Andrew...very kind of you, and I thank so very much!!
Hi Elaine...thank you !!
Hi Teresa...Thanks so much!!
Hi Debbie..thanks ...I loved yours to not where you would ususlly find one!! : }}
Hi Jean ...maybe your area has no road kill..lol..living in Maine you must have some ; }
Thanks !!
HI Bob...Thanks my friend...
Oh ya for sure!!
Hi Elaine & Ken...Thnak you so much!!!
Hi elleeninmd...Thank you !!
Hi Tammy ...no he didn't get me lol!!!
Thanks so much!!
Hi Ruth ...amazing fellar for sure..
Thank you!!
Hi Larry ...yes only a face a mother could love, but a lovely in flight!!
Thanks!!
Hi Adrian...Careful there..you have got me beat there..you have the worst case going..lol. ; }
Thanks my friend!!
HI Cheryl...Oh I agree with you there for sure!!
Thank you very much my good friend!!
wow, that was an impressing bird. Lucky you had the camera with you. We don´t have it here in Sweden so nice to read about and see your pictures !
ReplyDeleteHi Lasse...I thank you so much, for you comment!! : }}
ReplyDeleteThat must have been a great sight to see. That's one BIG bird!
ReplyDeleteHi keith...They are very large...I love seeing them, but the sure have an ugly head lol!!
ReplyDeleteThanks !!
What a grand set of images!! Heck of a garden you must have, too. I enjoyed my tour through all your lovely posts-- wonderful blog site!
ReplyDeleteHI Stan...thanks for coming by..I am so glad you enjoyed the tour through my post...thanks so much I appreciate that !!!
ReplyDeleteWell I just had to take a look at the Turkey Vultures didn't I? Highly surprised to see it was over your garden checking out the garbage - don't you put it out for the collectors once a week like we do rather than leave it there? Enjoy your time on the sheep ranch Grace and take lots of pictures of those woolly things for us.
ReplyDeletegreat turkey vulture shots!! poor birds...everyone always gives them such a hard time...huh?!! i see them flying overhead all the time...wondering when and where they'll find a dead something...in the road probably.
ReplyDeleteanyway...your pic's are great!!~ i can never seem to get good bird shots...not unless they're sitting still!!
They are magnificent in flight. The pictures are fantastic. Grace, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHow fantastic!
ReplyDeleteGrace your captures of this magnificent bird are beautiful!!
What an amazing sight to see soaring above your head :-)
bless you..Trish
That's a great vulture photo! I've never seen the wings that close. I'm not quick enough with flying shots to get much. They may be ugly birds, but they do clean up the things we would rather not.
ReplyDelete