Monday, September 12, 2011

~~~Still Looking For Butterflies~~~

As long as they remain I am going to be on the look out for the butterflies, for in very short time they will be gone , and sorely missed !

The hay fields on either side of my property where  mowed and bailed in mid July and have grown over a foot and a half tall!
Even the flowers of early summer have grown back and are having another go round with Purple Clover, Queen Ann's Lace that have grown half there usual height, and Yellow Hawkweed  that the Sulphur butterflies love!
When I look out over the fields the Sulphur's ( basic..there is a large variety of this species)   are just everywhere loving the covering of  Yellow Hawkweed,  perhaps there yellow coloring blends with this flower and it is a protection from birds looking for a meal!!

I know one thing they  they move  fast......just when you think you have one in your lens  it is gone!!

















Another frequent flier to the fields,
one from the Crescent or Fritillary Families!!




Try to enjoy some things left of the summer
today!!







26 comments:

  1. We've had mostly rain lately but whenever we get a sunny day in between I walk to 'my special park' and check if the butterflies are still there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you are still enjoying butterflies Grace...
    Not much flying over here at the moment... the tail end of Katia has arrived!
    Hope alls well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Grace, these pictures are very beautiful. You rightly say, how difficult it can be photograph butterflies. Their erratic flight patterns. They kind of look like two petals tied together, floating helter-skelter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to say it but your weather forecast (for the UK at least)was spot on Grace and I have been unable to do any birding or creepy crawly spotting like you have in that autumn sunshine. Is that another job you do in your spare time, weather forecasting? I like that Sulphur thingy, really yellow like it says on the tin. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. you were able to get some good bokeh in these shots too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Dawn...thanks for coming by!
    I don't know your weather there,but I hope you have plenty of time left to enjoy them!


    Hi Andrew..yes, I heard that your having some of the remnants of that storm..missed us!!
    Hope all goes well!
    Thanks



    HI Season...I love your butterfly decription ..: }
    Thanks you very much!!


    Hey Phil...well if I could get payed I might consider it...,but I think I will keep my storm reading ball a secret!! hahaha!!
    Thanks for your comment on the yellow thingy!!
    It was 85f here today, bright blue skies ..just mentioning ; }

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots GG, they yellow one especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI teresa...Thank you!!



    Hi Keith..thanks...I am enjoying them!!



    Hey Roy...Thanks....glad you liked!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have captured great pictures of the Sulphurs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have such difficulty capturing these guys ... great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful captures of butterflies. I too am hoping to photograph a monarch, have seen two in the past two days in the field along the trail I walk. But no one seems to want to stop for a bit and let me take their photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been trying to capture butterflies (images, not the net thing) all summer with no luck at all. I think they sense the instant just before i get the shot framed and in focus then just disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ruth...thanks you!!


    Hi Renna...they are quick and very flighty .. patients and a lot of trash images lol
    Thanks!!


    Hi Cheryl...so nice to hear from you...hope you are well..

    Thanks so much...good luck getting the Monarch in you focus!!


    Hi Chip...haha maybe you should net them..then you could get the shots!
    I know what you mean.. I know they sense your presence!!
    Thanks you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just commented on Mary's butterflies and now I see you have a flutter of them yourself. I told Mary she either had a lot of patience or a long lens to get such flighty, flitty things in close up focus. I can't seem to get near them at all before they lead me a merry dance. I've given up on them and so enjoy your pics instead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Grace,

    It has been a pleasure coming to visit your butterflies during these summer months. Sadly, this year, I have had few in the garden.
    The last two winters and this wet summer has done them no favours......

    The sulpher is beautiful. They are one of my favourites. I just love the colouration.
    Yours does indeed blend in beautifully with her surroundings.

    Bless the butterflies :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful butterflies. They are hard work unless you catch them early in the morning when they are drying their wings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful! This is the time of year for sulphurs and such to abound. I hope to take more shots today. You got some great ones! the ones I saw were in such a dense mass of flowers, I could hardly get a clear shot. Love that last shot...made me laugh! I get so many edge shots I want to scream sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Cicero...thanks you...
    They take patience( which I don't always have) lol



    Hi Cheryl...thanks my friend..glad you have enjoyed them....maybe your year next year..last summer we didn't see a lot of them!!

    Grace


    Hi Adrian...thanks..yes busy little bugger : }}



    Hi Mary...thanks so much ...it is nice to still have them around isn't it!! I wonder how much longer?? : {

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Grace,
    That yellow butterfly is a stunner! I don`t blame you for still looking for butterflies when you have these beauties to search for!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the fritillary group, it contains so colorful butterflies!!! This yellow one you got is sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome... My faves are #3 and #6. They are always a treat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your comments about black walnuts, Grace. I'm glad you enjoyed my description. However, it was all true!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooooohhhhh these are wonderful. such beautiful shades of green and yellow!!

    i'm in new jersey, my hummers appear in mid april, i have not seen then for about a week now!!

    i had an abundance of hummers this year.....my special blend!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Chris..Thanks so much Sweetie!!


    Hi Larry...thanks so much...soon snow will be flying..: {

    Hi Scott...hahaha...that was to funny!!thanks !!

    Hi Debbie...thanks for coming by...glad you enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete