Saturday, July 30, 2011

Part 3...."I Fell In Love With The Kestrel Family" More Babies???

As I said in Part 2 babies 3&4 will not be in the family album because of my multitasking efforts!!
I always told my teenage daughters that  "you can't bake cookies and talk on the phone at the same time without  them getting burnt ".  Should have taking my own advise..oh well!!

I had been so intrigued in taken photos I hadn't taken  the time to inform myself on the Kestrel !!
So I'm thinking thats it...., no more pop up babies!!
The next day the rapid shrill vocal call of  ~klee,klee, klee,`and a swoop up to the cavity hole happened!!


Male Kestrel! with lunch?
Hmmm...


I am confused ...I looked up some info...
If a few eggs don't make it, a few more can be layed !!
Male feeds the female while setting!!

Well I gave up on statics and just focused with the camera : }
Thanks to Wikipedia and All About Birds....but your confusing me here!!

One think that was interesting though is the back of the males head which appears
to have a false eye look ...debatable, but it could be a protection mechanization
from predators.


He is a beauty !!!



Over a span of a week one..then.. two I was so excited
 to see those peering little faces, and at the end of the day another little head
came out of the tissue box!! : }

I didn't see these guys when the left,but they must have been the spoiled, ones because
they stay in the tree.....for some time!  At night they gathered at cavity hole and some went inside!
You might recognize this from your last to leave home...they come back to roost and eat!! : }

I contacted my good friend "Phil the bird bander" at ( Another Bird Blog) and he
said this is not unusual behavior for them to do this ..Thanks Phil!!


One of them in the tree waiting for his next meal!!



This is one of them begging to be feed !!

Getting more vocal about it ...I wish I could tell you how loud it was around here lol !!

Really acting like he was starving, and letting the whole world know!!

They are gone now ...it is so quite, and I miss them ..  : {
I do here there calls in the near by fields and woods, and now and then see them soaring and
hovering to pounce on a meal!!

Well I do have a few odds and ends I am posting tomorrow if your interested !

Hope you enjoyed!!

26 comments:

  1. I'll have to look back through your posts............wonderful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the blues on that male are just spectacular. even the babies are so beautifully colored out already! love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say the same thing about the back of the bird, it looks like he has a face with big eyes. I love the coloring of the bird too.

    You did an amazing job! I guess you feel like an empty nester too.

    HOPE they will come back and nest there again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky to have captured all these wonderful images.I would gladly put up with the noise,is I had these nesting in my back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These images are spectacular! Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More great shots GG.
    Your Kestrel is far more colourful than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Adrian...thanks very much..I miss them, It was a wonderful experience!! I love living in the country!!

    Hi Teresa..thanks...yes the male has that lovely gray-blue on his wings it is specticular, and the young leave the nest almost fully looking like the adults!!


    Hi Tammy... I would love them to come back to nest again...I do feel like an empty nester!!
    The male is nicely marked isn't he!!
    Thanks so much!!


    Hi Ruth..I got so if I didn't hear those babies when I got up in the morning I had to go see if they where there ..the minute they heard the door they would start..then I was happy . : }
    Thank you so much!!

    Hi Lois...thnaks...glad you enjoyed!!

    Hey Roy...Thanks so very much...
    They are beauties...everything is better over here ; } : }} ( just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fancy having a Kestrel family with you. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, we have a great musical trend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say you had a very successful visit from the kestrels. Isn't that back view, with what appear to be false eyes, intriguing!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bob...yes we do....lol
    Thanks so much ..I sure enjoyed having them right under my nose so to speak!!

    Hi Jean...oh I have had a great time with these guy,
    but I haven't done everything I should have gotten done!!
    Thanks...love those false eyes..yes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Grace,
    Lovely photo`s of a simply stunning bird! Our Kestrel in the U.K. is an attractive bird, but yours knocks spots of it! Great shot of the youngster begging!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific shots Grace, all that colour on those birds! I hate to admit it but I think your Kestrel may be a touch more delightful than our boring, staid old UK Common Kestrel. Now then, I bet you never thought I'd say that. Is that baking ready yet? And make sure the paint is dry before I sit down on that porch of yours LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI John...thanks so much...I appreciate your kind words!!
    They are wonderful bird in flight,but can't get them in time!!



    Hey Phil...thanks my friend...Made in the USA...of course it is more delightful lol...
    No I would never thought you'd say that!!!
    There has been a nice breeze here today great for drying paint and baking..so where all set!!
    I hope people don't believe this conversation lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lucky gal to witness all this drama

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic photos !You captured them well. Always interested in your posts and photos ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful images of your beautiful birds Grace and a lovely read...
    and yes I have really enjoyed my visit as always... xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grace,

    Such a beautiful post. Kestrals are exquisite birds of prey. I love to see them hover above my little copse.

    Some wonderful images Grace, they tell a story.....a story of summer and the wonders of nature.

    Tku for sharing.....have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grammie G, the posts were enjoyable and the photos so wonderful to see. Thanks for neglecting your other chores to take time to watch, take photos and share with all of us. Maybe we should all volunteer to come and help out with those chores?

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Cicero..yes indeed thanks!!


    Hi Elaine ...thats so much ..very nice of you to say!!


    Hi Andrew...I am so glad you enjoyed..it was so much fun...now on to some unknown opportunity to fall in front of me.lol


    HI Cheryl...I was happy to share and couldn't hardly wait to..
    Thanks so much you are a very kind friend! ♥ : }
    Grace


    Hi Beatrice...I may take you up on that...when should i expect you all! haha!!
    Thanks you so much!!! : }

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW excellent shots of your Kestrel family!! So that must be a favorite spot of theirs Expect them back again next yr eh?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sondra...I would love to think so?
    Thanks very much !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, wow...wonderful photos! What an opportunity! They are such gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! How wonderful to see all this happen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful series! I am going to link to this on The Great Kestrel Count report that I post in a couple of days. I love your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete