I have never seen a dove nest before,but thought that this was a odd place to build one. Pieces of nesting material was hanging through the lattice of the arbor and I wondered how this was going to work!!
I had pulled weeds in the rose garden the day before and they weaved it all together and came up with a decent nest after all!!
A little untidy,but did the trick!!
This is May 31...
Under the protection of rambling rose briers, and
clematis vines and flowers,sits Mom waiting...
She and I had a few conversations during this time
....well I did all the talking!!
June 11th I saw the eggs for the first time!!
Two pure white eggs...guessing about 1 inch long ...
just what all about birds site said!!
They look pretty safe under all that cover!!
This is exciting...I feel like a Grandma.. : }
June 21..found the eggs had hatched and I don't know exactly
when,but the incubation period is 14 days!!
Mom has them all tucked up under her!!
June 27th Mom and babies pose for the family album!!
So darn precious !
On June 30th I went to check on them , and they where gone
I was so disappointed that I had missed it!!
An adult Dove was pacing around the rose garden so I looked around
and then ...there they where!!
I was so happy to get to see them again !!
A closer look ...so cute .!!
I enjoyed so much having the opportunity to watch this all happen right in eye sight
of my bedroom window and the back deck...
and of course thanks goes to my 6ft rickety step ladder that I stood on with
camera in hand... : }
July 1st
It seems love is in the air...looks like round two is happening !!
July 4th... Momma was setting on the same nest ..tidied up a bit!!
I will have photos to share...
you know how Grammie's are!! : }
A beautiful account with a happy ending GG. Thanks for posting this.
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful, Grace!
ReplyDeleteThe doves are so gorgeous and I loved watching their story unfold through your lovely photos :-)
What blessings you find around your home!
love in Jesus..Trish
Congratulations! She seemed like such a sitting duck there, but guess she knew best : ) Nice shots as always!!!
ReplyDeleteYou got such amazing photos of the nest, the eggs, the babies, but best of all, the official family portrait. That one's an award-winner. Loved this post, Grace.
ReplyDeleteHey Roy..I could hardly wait to post this, and share..
ReplyDeleteThank you very much!!
Hi Trish...I have enjoyed so many happenings this year...I don't know if it is just me being more observent or there coming to me for photos.. LOL
Thanks for you lovely comment
Blessing to you ...Grace
Hi Jean...I really thought it would be dangerous right in the open like that...but I guess they know best ...maybe they thought I could protect then..lol!
Thanks Jean ps ...sorry forgot to call you back!!
Hi Jean...I love that photo too...it is always so exciting when you download them and see the results!
Thanks so much for you nice comment!!
How Cool is this!!!?? I can't believe the photos you took and how you were able to catch this family of doves so well... you are quite the photographer!! Miss you lots and hope all is going well for you!
ReplyDeleteHI Tracey...alllis well ...been visiting family alot!!
ReplyDeleteThank you...I just love doing this ..I think I might even hang bu my toes to get a photo hahaha!!!
I will be coming back to this post again and again. What wonderful events to happen in your own backyard. The pictures are amazing - home, love, children, parents. Mama dove looks so kind and motherly, and it is so loving that you spent time talking to her...grammie. Thanks for sharing this beautiful experience with us! I have a feeling, you were eager to do so.
ReplyDeleteAnd I was very glad to read in your last post, that you spent the weekend with your daughter. Wishing you all much happiness!
What a lovely family!!
ReplyDeleteA fantastic post Grace.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful nature documentary with your superb images.
It must have been a lovely few weeks watching everything unfold in front of you.
Many thanks for sharing...
Wow.This is fantastic.Not only did you get to watch this once,but now for the second time.Perhaps this time you will get to see them fledge.
ReplyDeleteHi Seasons...thank you so much for that kind comment.
ReplyDeleteYes I was eager.. and you are so welcome!!
Had a great time with family too...thanks for your best wishes same to you!!
Hi Andrew...I enjoyed this so much..these experiences are so rewarding!! : }
I was very happy to share and you are so very welcome...
Hi Ruth...thanks you ...and yes... I might get that chance this time!!
What a really delightful post! It told such a happy story but had twists and turns along the way. The photos are beautiful, my favourite is definitely proud Mum and babies in the nest :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Grace, I really enjoyed that!
aww this was a great post..YOU got some amazing photos of your babies...MY wrens were not as co-operative they spooked at every move-and they disappeared and I didnt get to say GOODBYE--drat. Cant wait to see the next batch of Doves
ReplyDeleteHi Sondra...thanks so much !!
ReplyDeleteWrens are pretty shy ...I am surprised that they nested where they did for you...great stuff!!
You got a good story there Grace, and great pictures too, from egg to chick and the bits in between. Those dove babes do grow quick don't they? Take care climbing those step ladders or you might end up in a plaster cast then you won't be going anywhere for a while.
ReplyDeleteGood morning Mourning Dove, (I had to put it in). Lovely photography Grace.
ReplyDeleteHi Phil..thanks I appreciate that!!
ReplyDeleteI keep thinking someday I will break my neck or ther neighbors will have me commited to the mental ward!! hahaha!!
Hi Bob...lol cute. : }
Thanks your very kind!!
these are just beautiful! i had never seen a young dove until this year, and i just love their coloration and wing scallops. thanks for explaining how you got those top-of-the-arbor shots too! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post! What a blessing to experience!
ReplyDeleteIf this had been one of my stories it probably would have ended with two little piles of feathers. I knew you wouldn't let that happen.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely series of shots to accompany a lovely story.
ReplyDeleteThe picture of the mum and babies, is a beauty.
Hi Teresa...lol..your welcome now you know how it is done hahaha!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much...Grace
Hi Kathryn..I feel very privilged to have experienced this!!
Thanks you!!
HI Steve...you would do all you could and you know i lol...
Thanks Grace
Hi Keith....thank you for your kind comment!!
My favorite photo too!!
Wonderful series of pictures, Grace!
ReplyDeleteA pair nested in a birdfeeder attached to an office window once, I got to see the eggs and infants up very close. It's astonishing how fast they grow!
Love the photo story. Weren't you a fortunate gal to be able to capture that sequence.
ReplyDeleteI love this! What great captures you got of the whole story. I have never figured out where the doves nest around here. she had a lovely place to nest.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jain ...Cicero and Mary sorry I haven't been back here to check comments....thank you all so much!!
ReplyDeletePrecious! I have Mourning Doves, but have never found their nest. I wonder......
ReplyDelete