Friday, July 22, 2011

Wildflower~~~ of July!

It has been a good summer for Wild flowers, even saw some I haven't seen before.  That makes me wonder how did they get there ?
I am just happy that I can enjoy everyday something in nature I have seen or not seen before!!

A week ago I took a short walk to the river,and around the area of my home, and there was so much at the time and so quickly some have already gone by...the heat that we are having right now isn't helping either ..(if I could just figure out a way to save some of this 100 degree temp's for next winter) lol

So it was nice to be able to photograph these beauties while they where  in there prime!!


Summer Bouquet!!!
Queen Ann Lace & Milk Weed
with Black Eyed Susans & a few Yarrow !! 



Yarrow in back & Roadside Bromegrass I think?  in front!
I really like the color and frilly lace look of this grass!!




Purple Crown Vetch & Brown Eyed Susan!




Fritillary? enjoying some Crown Vetch!



Dogbane...low growing shrub with these tainty pink flowers!!


Curly Dock ...I like it when it is a this pinkish red shade of color
as it continues to become the mature brown shade!!





The tiny little pink flower I have never seen before
It is on the bank of the river!!
It is Deptford Pink ( common name)!!



Swamp Candle
or Yellow Loosestrife
A new one for me this year ..A large patch 
of it is growing in a wet area near the woods in back
of my home, and it never was there before ..I hope it's there next year!!


Birdsfoot Trefoil
A real pretty little plant!!


Not such a good shot of Blue Toadflax!!
The flower is a tiny bit bigger than a pencil eraser.
The plant is about 1ft to 2ft tall!!



Yellow plant is the Common St. Johns Wort!



Had to get a bird in here !!
While walking this
Red Winged Blackbird 
asked if I would
take his photograph!! lol

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

34 comments:

  1. Very pretty wild flowers. :) They are quite nice this year. The black bird seems to be telling you what he thinks about the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goodness, you've got your own English garden growing wild there! just beautiful with all the different colors and mixes. thanks for i.d.ing the curly dock. we have that here and i've never known the name. it used to make my mother-in-law wheeze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all those wild flowers.God plants the best gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some beautiful images Grace. There is nothing prettier than wildflowers in their glory days.

    The little pink flower we would call maiden pink. It looks the same as ours, as far as I can tell. I suspect, you have another name for it.

    I grow birdsfoot trefoil and the St. Johns Wort in my garden. I love them both.

    Have a lovely weekend Grace....hope it cools a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely, Grace. I esp. love Swamp Candles!! They grow on my property, but aren't out quite yet. Thanks for the wonderful series of beautiful photographs. A great way to begin my day!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful wildflowers Grace so colourful. Your local countryside is lovely to see.
    ps I hope things are getting a bit cooler for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grammie,
    Such lovely photo`s of the beauty of your countryside!
    Glad to see you got the picture of the Blackbird ;)
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lois...The blackbird...your! probably right lol !
    Thank you!!

    Hi Teresa..the Curly Dock I often cut a few atocks and use for a winter bouquet, but I imagine it my be food for some birds too!!
    Thank you ever so much!!

    Hi Ruth...I will say Amen to that . : } thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Cheryl...the pink flower I went back and forth on ...both are in the dianthus family...I took another look..even pull a couple out of my trash lol...The Pink Maiden is all pink with a dark red like cresent line on the inner petal with jaggered outter edges...the Deptford is pink with tiny white spots on them and a white center...the petal are oval shape and have on a couple of larger jaggered pieces..??? that's what I went by!! It is also called Pink grass!!
    Thanks my friend...I woke to a rain shower this morning slight surprise ..it didn't make it better it is sticky out yuck!!



    Hi Karen...so glad I got you of to a great start.lol
    My first time to see the S Candle !!
    You are welcome and thanks!!


    Hi Andrew...thanks so very much...I am very passionate about wildflowers..have been all my life!
    Mom always had a bouquet every day .. except in winter lol
    It is still very warm supposed to have some relief today..right now it is lightly raining..,but it is very humid.. yuck
    ♥ Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI John ...have seen you around...thanks for dropping by!!
    Thank you... and the Blackbird I couldn't resist!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tku Grace for such a detailed explanation........
    you learn something everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...you really do have a great variety right now. I like that Dogbane...very pretty! All the colors together are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary...amazing how we work so hard to put just the right colors shapes and sizes in our gardens,but the creator just scattered them out there and they are gorgeous together!! : }}

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO ya'll got the heat too? YUK its awful...I dislike Summer in the south and now its in the north too..oh well-GREAT wildflower walk with you Grace you are very good with your ID's I did recognize a few and thanks for the name on that bromegrass I love that stuff...But it doesnt usually turn pink here till later when fall begins to arrive. STAY COOL when you can!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sondra...yes we'all got that southern heat ya'all sent on up!! lol
    Rained a bit this morning just made the humidity worse yuk yuk !!
    Sun is out and it is 92 degrees...oh well it could be winter and snow!!
    Thank ya very much..stay out of the hot sun!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  16. The wildflowers are enjoying the summers, telling by the way they are blooming all around. Are you too, even though it is about a 100 degrees? Of all the beautiful pictures, I pick Curly Dock as my favorite...don't have to have a reason...its simplicty perhaps. You have chosen your flowers, butterfly, and bird well. Thanks, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You really did get a great display of wild flowers this year. Beautiful!

    We've had overall a wetter and cooler year while the rest of the country swelters. I like cooler better than heat wave so I am not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Seasons...thanks for your lovely comment.
    Thank goodness a cool front is moving through for a few days of relief ...low humity and 85 degress sounds like a dream to me!! lol
    The Curly dock it a favorite of mine to don't know why either ..
    Grace



    Hi Cicero...much nicer today..cool front ...aww still 85 but will take it!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely Vetch, always make a nice photo GG.
    It also makes a change to see Yellow Loosetrife.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grarammie G. Your wildflower pictures are great!I did not know of Deptford Pinks, but saw some in my yard today! Thanks for your mention and naming of it. Also, from your comment. Yes, I used to know Houlton, Maine. I lived close at one time. I often took my kids to Saturday afternoon movies there! I loved the carvings of potato scenes on the walls of Macdonald's there. And I loved shopping for fsbric at McLsughlins there. Thanks for your visit to my blog.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Roy..thanks ...Vetch has been one of my all time favorite wildflower...and the Loosestrife was a delightful new find!!


    Hi Ann...thanks for coming by and your lovely comment.
    We already have two coinsidental connections...small world!!
    Happy to provide a ID for you and tickled to hear of our connection to Houlton...and the walk on memory lane!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely selection of wild flowers Grace.
    The Summer Bouquet is a beautiful shot.
    Good to see a lot of flowers there that I recognise from over here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty! I miss a lot of summer wildflowers because I can't bear the heat. It's nice to look at them from the comfort of my air conditioned office. Thanks for doing the legwork! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice photos and helpful that yu also described them for us, Grace. The wildflowers in our backyard meadow are still doing OK, but a couple of good downpours would really help out after lkast week's blistering heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are beautiful images, especially the one with the Blackbird sitting and chirping.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely photos you have there, looks like you have some perfect places to photography. The heat is making me stay in. We have had it simce late May.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You know your weeds/plants better than I do Grace. Curly Dock,is that what we call redshank or lady's thumb? Me, I think I had better stick to birds as they are much easier, I even like Red-winged Blackbirds and their superb tunes coming from the reeds. These kestrels sure are slow in coming,I'm getting a bit fed up now - are you just stringing me along?

    ReplyDelete
  28. And are you finding wild raspberries where you've never seen them growing until this year? We are and others in this area have said the same thing.

    You identified so many wild flowers here that I've seen for years but never before knew by name. You're a regular walking flower encyclopedia!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, I just wrote on Phil's Bird Blog and happened to see where you had to have your best friend cat put down today. I am so sorry. We have a new kitten, 14 and 9 year old cats. Got to love our favorites. Blessings~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Grace. A super selection of natures colourful palette. Hope you are managing to stay cool. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed your photos very much. You have helped me identify some new flowers I have spotted here this summer as well. I think Mother Nature's bouquets are just as beautiful as any floral shops. We have a couple of "new" flowers here this year and raspberries are growing where we have never had any before.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great series of wild flower photos Grace. Colors galore. The Red Winged Black Bird, a fine closing shot.

    ReplyDelete
  33. HI Folks Jain,Beatice,& Tammy thanks, and I hope you get some heat relief soon!!

    Thanks Bob, Phil, Frank and I like the Blackbirds when they flare that red band!!

    Thanks Cheryl, and Jean, no i hadn't noticed the raspberries but will have a look sure wish I had a wild raspberry pie lol.

    Hi Larry ...thank so much for coming by and for you kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely meadow flowers! What a cheerful post!

    ReplyDelete