Thursday, July 28, 2011

Part 1 of ...."I Fell In Love With The Kestrel Family" or "What did I do this Summer"

Somewhere around the middle of May is when, on a  daily basis the frantic vocal calls and the chase in pursuit of a bird about the size of a Mourning Dove, started taking place in my front yard.

 Robins, Red Winged Blackbirds,Grackles and a few other" defenders of the near by nests where all involved in this  annoyance , so I decided I was going to find out what was going on!!
I was very upset when I saw this bird with a baby bird !!  Well then it was me and the annoying group trying to chase this bird away !!

As I stepped outside one one morning during the first week of June, I caught a fleeting look at this bird fly up into the branches of a tree in the front yard!!
Little did I realize that this bird  would turn out to be the American Kestrel that was nesting in a cavity of a large branch of the Weeping Willow tree that is hanging out over my driveway in the front yard!!

Well now you can just about guess what I did for much of the month of June and July....yup ...I parked myself with the camera pointed at that hole in the tree!!

American Kestrel (Falcon Sparverius) female
June 26th
This is the first decent photo I was able to get (many in the trash lol).
 They move quick, dropping of a mouse into the cavity like a fast food delivery!!  
At this point I believe they are feeding there young!
They lay 3 to 7 eggs, 24 to 27 hours apart with a 30 day incubation period mostly done
by the female , and hatching takes place over a period of 3 to 4 days!! 
If my math is right "which is questionable" this would means that it was that last week in
may that these eggs where layed ....no wonder the poor bird was so vocal with the shrill rapid
call ~~ klee~.klee ~klee !!!

Another quick delivery !!




Drop!


And of for another tasty meal !!



July 6th


July 6th
My first sight of two babies...this is when I fell in love!!

Hmm.. okay my math is questionable...June 26 to July 6 ???

July 6th
I came outside and saw this little one had a Ooops moment!!
Missed the first fledge..darn!
Now I am confused ...30 day incubation...28 to 31 days before wings develope
and they leave the nest!!
??

Made his way down into the inner branches of the Cedar tree!!



And like... remove one tissues and and another pops up there is two again!!

Don't you just love the convenience of the lower hole. : }


Not sure ,but I think this is a "this is how you do it junior"


And I think this is what junior thought of it... : }
I'll staying here, bring home the mice!!
Tomorrow:  Junior takes the plunge!!





14 comments:

  1. oh, they are such beauties! i'd be entranced too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fascinating.I would not have gotten any work done during a time like this.Who am I kidding? I seldom get much work done. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW !! I think I would be in love with those babies too. I would never get any work done for watching.

    I see you got a Poop Shot... now that is fast on the button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW awesome is that???? I have NEVER gotten a decent Kestrel photo...as long as your car is moving they will sit on that wire but YOU just pull up and stop and off they go..SWEET photos of the 2 young in the cavity...cant wait to See JR make his maiden Voyage

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful bird to see and lovely images...
    The poop shot seems to be in fashion at the moment Grace...
    A lovely post.. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Th Kestrel is so handsome, gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teresa...thanks so much!!


    Hi Ruth...thanks, and for the laugh...I didn't get much done either!!

    Hi Lois..Thanks so much!!


    Hi Tammy thanks ...that's why I am so far behind on my outside work this year! lol Poop lol


    Hi Sondra...thanks ...I have had so much enjoyment watching them ...couldn't believe being able to watch them!!


    Hi Andrew...thanks...to get a poop shot you got to be quick on the trigger lol !!


    Hi Bob...thanks...real beauties they are!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Grace and now I realise why you hung onto all those Kestrel pictures. You took so darned many when you should have been painting the fence, mowing the grass and baking cakes for your UK visitors. Joking apart if those kestrels had made a home in my garden I think I would have camped out in a tent nearby.
    Now they have gone are you going to clean out the home in readiness for next year's guests - could be an owl next time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply very beautiful! And the way you tell this whole story is funny and vivid. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Phil...Well I finally did it : }
    I don't care what got done or not LOL
    Thanks!!

    Hi Seasons...Thanks.. glad you enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace; These Kestrel photos are totally amazing! awesome! Even to get a distant kestrel shot is quite an acievement, but the entire family!!! Wow! Lucky you!. Thank you for posting and sharing them. I haven't gotten any kestrel photos yet this summer, although I know of one stretch of a power line where I sometimes can castch a glimpse of one before it takes off as my vechile approaches it! Bravo!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! This is a great series. How fantastic to see them. I don't blame junior for not wanting to leave that nice safe hole as long as someone is willing to deliver lunch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary...hahaha!! little bugger!!
    Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete