Thursday, January 5, 2012

~~~The Way To Start The New Year~~~

 The first day of the new year was a lovely sunny day after the miserable freezing rain of the last day of the old year melted away as the temperature rose !!   I looked around at the Christmas decoration I had intended to take down..sort of a New Year's tradition I (had)  ...who cares there not going anywhere and I went for a walk instead.. which I haven't taken time to do for some time!!

The sky was so blue , and the sun felt warm...until I had walked to far and found my hands getting cold ... in my rush to get out I had forgotten to stick a pair of gloves in my pocket!!   It is miserable trying to take photo's with gloves on ....you didn't think I left the camera home did you??


On the  dead tree top near the river was the male Hairy Woodpecker!
I sometimes forget which one of the Woodpeckers it is ...
so my way to remember.. the Hairy has long head..long bill and is larger
then the Downy!!


He stopped long enough for me to get a shot against
that bright blue sky!!


He got to the top hammering away , but a stiff breeze
left him a little unkempt!!


At the river I stopped at the bridge hoping there might be some
open water, on a chance of seeing the ducks....no such luck
here, but the color of the sky gave the ice a lovely hue!!


As I started walking on the road that parallels mine I spotted the Eastern Blue Birds
It was nice to see that they where still around, and finding insects to feed on!!



There was two of them an they would pop down.. pick up an insect 
then back to there perch !!
The sun was right in my face so it was not great for taken photos so
I stayed and watched then for a bit ! 

Looking downhill toward the river!!




Here is the Downy Woodpecker...it could have cared less about my presence !!
Short head,short bill, and smaller...
I think this is a female...the red cap wasn't visable!!


Maybe he does care... I'm getting the look!!

It was a nice start to 2012!!

26 comments:

  1. Looks like a perfect day for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the shot of the skim of ice across the water. we get the downys here but never the hairys. nice to see them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed taking that walk with you, and maybe now I've finally learned how to distinguish the hairy from the downy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos ! I took photos of the Downey Woodpecker the other day. I use the little black gloves the one size fits all you can get from the dollar store they are remarkably warm and they are great for using the camera with almost like a second skin if you will lol ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb shots of the Woodpecker GG.
    I really like the one of the frozen river to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Odd that such a pretty looking woodpecker would get tagged with a name like Hairy. Maybe Feathery Woodpecker but Hairy?
    Funny too is everytime I open up your blog the cursive writing must be throwing the translator for a loop as it identifies the wording as Afrikaans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth..Thanks you so much !!


    Hi Teresa..thanks...the two are confusing!!

    Hi Jean...maybe we will take one together someday for real...glad I could teach the teacher something : }!!


    Hi Elaine...thanks and thanks for the glove tip!! : }


    Hey Roy...thanks...glad you liked !!


    Hi John...are you serious about the cursive??...I can never tell with you !!
    Yes poor Hairy...I wonder where he got that from !
    Thanks ..I think!! ; }

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots of your woodpeckers Grace--and it sure seemed warm and pleasant in those photos...SURE has been a werid winter so far eh?
    had a cute little downy on my suet the other day...always enjoy seeing them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. winter is wonderful for unobstructed views of our cute little feathered friends!! no leaves and clear views make for some awesome captures!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winter walks are lovely. I love the color of the wintery sky - if there is some blue showing that is. Very icy here of late making for slippery walks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wunderbare Naturaufnahmen, danke!!!

    Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz

    Hans-Peter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Grace. A nice winters walk you had?
    Lovely pictures of the Woodpeckers. (we've got a 'Hairy' that hangs out around here too!...lol)
    The frozen river looks good too, ice skating maybe?
    And good to see that the 'Blue Birds are still around...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great walk! Enjoy the "warmer" weather and sunshine while you can, the house work can wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful birds, the woodpeckers and blue birds. Nice photography.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fun day out in nature. Love your woodpecker shots especially.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely day! I'm glad I stopped by and joined you. Your photos are excellent. I like the cursive writing on your blog. Gives it a more 'personal look'. Have a happy new year!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grace, I have had that happen to me too with no notification of new posts by someone I follow. Sometimes Blogger tells me I am following NO ONE. I just shut the works down, restart and usually it is okay. No, the writing is not difficult to read, I just thought it funny that it fooled the computer. Sorry I had to answer your e-mail this way but your e-mail comes in as a noreply-comment.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super collection of photos Grace, and always love those birds. I'm glad you explained the difference between a Hairy and A Downy Woodpecker as I would be hard pressed to know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Sondra...it is a weird winter for sure!!

    Thanks Debbie...one advantage to winter anyway : }


    Hi Cicero...you be careful on that ice...look who's telling who lol
    Thanks


    Hans-Peter...thank you so very much!! : }


    Hi Trevor...Ice skating ...not for awhile, and certainly not this gal!!
    Thanks my friend!!



    Hi Kathyrn...House work is always there your right
    Thanks!!


    Hi Bob...Nice to see you back..thanks!!


    Thanks so much Scott!!


    Hi Karen..I am glad you came by and mentioned the cursive ..I was wondering if people liked it or not!!
    Thanks : }}


    Hi John...hahaha!! Well we got that straightened out!!
    My email is not on there to be seen!
    Thanks my friend!!


    Hi Denise..I couldn't figure them out either, but this has helped me ..it has to be simple..; }
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I get the downys here but never the bluebirds! Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Grace... What a wonderful walk and lovely images of your beautiful woodpeckers..
    The frozen river shows just how cold it is.many thanks for sharing your lovely countryside.
    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. as to my blog...i have a huge love/hate relationship with my squirrels!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Grace,

    A lovely start to 2012.

    What beautiful countryside you have around you.

    Your woodpecker is very similar to our Greater Spotted Woodpecker.
    I have them in the garden, but as soon as I raise the camera, they are gone :)
    I find photographing birds very frustrating.


    I love the stretch of ice......it is also nice to see the winter silhouette of the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a way to start the year! I really do like the Hairy Woodpecker, but I will have to admire them from your photos as I doubt that I will ever see one in real life!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  25. Grace, your photos are wonderful. I love both the woodies and the bluebirds. Lovely shot of the river. Great post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely walk. I can't believe you have bluebirds. I was up in Maine on Saturday. I found a huge flock of turkeys in turner, Maine right on Rt. 4!. I looked for other birds throughout Androscoggin and Franklin counties but only came up with a few species.

    ReplyDelete