Sunday, January 15, 2012

~~~Who is.. And Who Isn't ..Coming For Lunch~~~

Up until last Thursday's storm , (which is another post to come) the birds that where at the feeders had all but disappeared!
I have had a bunch of Gray Squirrels that had been at the feeders giving me grief chewing holes in the plastic spilling seeds everywhere , getting covers off the tops..yes I know if you feed they will come...,but I hate seeing them chase (literally the birds from the feeders)!


"Greed"..will get you no where, but in a "tight spot", that you won't be
able to back out of!!
This is what I got up to on the morning of Jan. 6Th!
Yes he was alive and eating away..I snapped this photo and went about preparing for company to arrive around noon... got the chicken stew started in the crock pot (which later got dumplings added to it near time for my guests to arrive) Yum!!    I checked to see what greedy was up to, and it looked like he was backing out so went about my business..check again and he had tryed to turn and his head was in his stomach area and he couldn't complete it and was stuck...."oh I needed this like a hole in the head"...I go out take the feeder down, lay it on its side hoping he would get out!!   Of course not...so to the garage get my portable power drill,  take of the top piece, and tip the feeder on it's side ..little did I know the whole inside sleeve would come out Squirrel and all..lol..he started to run between my legs ...I screamed , and he jumped of the side of the deck 10ft of the ground..lol : }}

My Guest are very special people ...they are fellow blogger of mine: the very first blogger I get to meet in person except for a couple who live near here !
 Grenville and Beatrice (fictitious names lol) of The Frog and the Penguin blog from the state of insanity...ooops I meant to say Virginia ; } !! They where in Hew Hampshire checking on houses ...,and the rest of the story is we had a wonderful time eating chicken stew and dumplings, talking, eating : } laughing, eating fresh home made gingersnap cookies  "B. ate more than her share : }"...it was all to short, I hated to see them leave, wonderful people..love you both... I felt so comfortable with them, like I had know them all my life!!
B. was disappointed that there wasn't any birds ..she wanted some photos ...G. was happy as a lark because there was some snow ( barely ) on the ground ..you just wait G, if you move to N.H. you will have your share ; }   LOL

I'll share tomorrow what I found could be on of the reason for the lack of birds at the feeders!!

A note to Adrian, and Hans-Peter....I can not leave a comment on your posts ..when I click on comment it goes to a blank page!! Sorry!!

24 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, this made me bust out laughing!!! SOOOO glad you got him freed! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That squirrel got himself into a tight spot.Do you hint he learned a lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, I have the same problems here with the piggy squirrels. My hubby says I am keeping all the neighborhood squirrels well fed. I'm sorry but I had to laugh at picturing you with the squirrel stuck in the feeder. I would made my hubby take it down and rescue the squirrel. Great post, I wish you a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your squirrel story made me laugh! Squirrels are very single minded when they are after food and will go to great lengths to get it.

    I'm glad that Grenville and Beatrice finally managed to meet up with you, and your dinner sounds wonderful. I would have ate more than my share of the gingersnaps too. We enjoyed a delightful dinner with them last fall in New Hampshire. It's nice to be able to put faces to people you have met through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is just the cutes thing, i so wish we had these little critters here!!!

    Blessings Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. That squirrel was lucky that you were willing to rescue him! ;) Some might have taken the opportunity to dispose of an old feeder and buy a new one. No, I couldn't do that, either, no matter how upset I was at the squirrel. Perhaps that one has learned his lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squirrels are a nightmare here too Grace. I used to get worked up about them and spent a fortune on squirrel proof feeders (that aren`t), but in the end I am just putting up with them, the birds still seem to get enough food!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got him out...he was at least not hungry any more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's one hysterical squirrel story!!!!!
    glad you had a nice visit with your bloggie friends...have a great week grace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace,

    You are so kind rescuing squirrel from the feeder. So funny you screamed and he jumped.....hysterical. You are such fun Grace.

    Glad you met some blogging friends and enjoyed their company. Lunch sounds fabulous.

    Have a fun week Grace, and watch out for those pesky squirrels :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funnier than the squirrel, ha ha ha. I am glad you freed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grace, this is a fun post, visiting fellow bloggers and the squirrel story. I have the same problem with squirrels but they entertain me so much I don't usually mind them. I've bought bird feed that is supposed to be only tasty to birds. It seems to be working as I don't have them hanging off the bird feeders any more. I still feed the squirrels though because they just make me laugh, but the biggest laugh today was reading your story - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow! Can't believe that poor bugger got stuck. Good thing for you! :)

    We agree on your food comments! There are so may unnecessary additives in processed food and it is so much more fun, and healthy to prepare our own! I do understand about living alone and perhaps not always feeling inspired to cook. This is where leftovers work super well, isn't it?! Since we are the only two humans in the house we tend to have leftovers for days and that's what helps get us through the week with work.

    Ok, off to painting. More on that later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Teresa...I thought it was funny until I saw he wasn't getting out lol!!

    Hi Ruth...no way ...they are presistant..lol thanks!!



    Hi Eileen...one or two not bad ,but I have up to 5...thanks!!


    Hi Elaine...you have to laugh..lol
    Yes I enjoyed meeting then and hopefully others...thanks!!

    Heidi..I will mail you some lol I hope the kids liked it!!
    thanks!


    Lois...I guess I am the come to the rescue kind to..of course he will be bad lol!!
    Thanks!


    Hi John...I have to agree..that is about it ..lol
    Thanks


    Lasse thanks I think he got his share : }}


    HI Laura..Glad you got a kick out it lol Thanks!!


    Cheryl there isn't a dull moment.. He startled me I didn't expect that : } Thanks!!


    Bob you liked that didn't you lol!!


    Denise they are so funny ...but there are times ...yes it was nice to meet them blogging fun!!
    Thanks



    J&S..what poor bugger he got himself into that one lol...
    Thanks I did enjoy your veggie post!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. FUNNY FUNNY... Those squirrels and their appetites often times get them in trouble. Glad to hear all worked out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! What a story! I'm glad you were able to save the squirrel. How funny! Poor thing was probably so frightened of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  17. squirrels and pwer drills not good bed fellows..lol what a pain they can be glad he didnt kill his fool self I had one commit suicide under my van while driving home...I tired every way I could without flippin the ditch to avoid him but this time He didnt make it, I gave him a decent burial and said some words and hope for foregiveness...
    GREAT to visit a blog friend I bet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome capture, pun intended!!

    my squirrels have been crazy lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too funny about the squirrel but it serves it right! Glad a good time was had by all with Beatrice and Grenville ... always, always fun to meet up with fellow bloggers. Too bad you were so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grace, I've noticed one thing here, while you're in the warm preparing for a sumptuous feast that poor old Squirrel has had to resort to getting the last offerings from a almost empty feeder! I reckon your priorities need a bit of a looking at here and you should be out there in the cold topping up those feeders!!

    Only joking of course! That was a great rescue, Who was more scared you or it?

    Glad you enjoyed your meal (in the warm!!) with your new friends.

    Hmmm...I wonder if Chicken Stew would travel okay by airmail?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very humanitarian gesture. No worries about the comments....that's blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a very silly Grey Squirrel, I wonder if he has learnt his lesson. Its nice to meet other Bloggers GG.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Larry ...what do with and what do we do without them lol


    Thanks Mary..


    Sondra..your comment always crack me up ..lol thanks


    Thanks Debbie


    Thanks Ciciero...I know huh!!


    Hi Trevor...I never thought it that way lol...thanks chicken stew air mail...hmmm!!


    Thanks Adrian...aren't I kind lol


    Hey Roy..I doubt that very much,although i haven't seen many squirrels tis week : }
    It is nice..there are a few I really would love to meet!! : ]

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Grace, sorry we missed seeing that stuck squirrel, but glad you wore the gloves before trying to free it. Yes, lunch was delicious and those gingersnaps were sooo good. Can you send some through cyberspace and snow for Grenville too? Yes, we often feel we are from that state - insanity, or at least that's what we think when folks call us "crazy."

    ReplyDelete