Wednesday, January 18, 2012

~~~Snow Is Here To Stay~~~

Last Thursday 8 inches of snow fell which changed to freezing rain!!   That freezing rain formed a crust on the snow ...then later in the day it just poured down rain!  I have never in my life seen rain bouncing and running across the top of a crusty snow...or yes forgot that I heard thunder a few times to ..a real crazy day which ended with the sun coming out !!
With all this going on there didn't seem to be anything that was going to keep the backyard birds from flocking in for some easy pickings!!
Here are  some photos of the little guys who braved the storm!


Chickadee....Peek-a-boo...

 
Downy Woodpecker...


Tufted Titmouse...I just love there eyes.....

 
White Breasted Nuthatch...
You can see the rain in this one!!


 

Chickadee got himself a chunk of suet...

American  Goldfinch ... in there winter colors...
I counted 20 one the deck at the same time...

Storm clouds pulling away!!

 


Nice ending to the day!

This storm is still on the ground ..I think we have seen the last of the bare
ground for a few months ....I think I'll get my snowshoes out...!!!

26 comments:

  1. Hey Grace where we're all those beautiful and colorful birds the day we visited. Guess we should have been there when it was storming outside...great shots and my favorite is the tufted titmouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you got some awesome shots!! we get the same birds here and they are always abundant when it snows!!

    i always see big groups of the goldfinches in winter but the rest of the year i never see a group, just 1 or 2, here and there!!

    no snow here yet....dare i say i am missing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great set of images. I am envious of your snow. The weather here is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots Grace. It looks like you had four seasons of weather in one day? And I thought it was just the English weather that couldn't make up its mind!

    It didn't seem to bother the birds though...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning, Grace! The weather seems to be crazy, like a yo-yo. I just love your cute yardbirds. My favorites are the cute nuthatches and the downy woodie. You did have a beautiful ending, the sky looks gorgeous. Wonderful post and photos, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't get the amount of snow or rain that you got. I love the little tufted titmice, too. They're one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I love looking at your photos.. you have such a gift. Miss seeing you, but always thinking about you and how your doing. Don't be a stranger and know that you are in my prayers always.. have a great rest of the week, Grace.. take care and hope to see you soon.... love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, those images are beautiful, but, the Tufted Titmouse is my favourite, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww you found winter!! Great selection at the feeders for you...hope you get a warm up now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These birds look even more beautiful after the storm. Have to admire their courage, and how they work hard to fill their needs. Also, impressive pictures of the departing storm clouds. God gives us so much evidence of his magnificence. Grace, thanks for sharing them in your pictures and words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a crazy mess of weather! glad you are helping the birds through it. these are great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots .... it looks like all my visitors flew over to your place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of great shots here GG, especially the second "Downy".
    Back in training for the Winter Olympics then.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful birds Grace..
    No snow here but plenty of rain.. Fingers crossed I have got away with it this year after two really cold winters.

    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great report from your country, and glad the little ones braved the storm !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely shots of some lovely birds Grace. I am extremely jealous that you get such stunners in your back garden!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful shots. Sounds like it might have been treacherous out there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grace. Well at least the birds seem at home despite the changeable weather. Take care when you start tramping in the snow. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi B.Maybe the next time..
    Thanks!!


    Debbie...thanks so much!!


    Thanks Adrian..I'm willing to share!!


    Trevor...Thanks...when it snows I stay home for lunch, but the birds go out to eat!!


    Thanks so much Eileen


    Jean ..cute little bugger aren't they !!thanks!

    Tracey..thanks...hope to see you soon!!


    THanks Bob...


    Sondra...thanks..don't you want some snow ; ]


    Seasons...nice to see you here again..thank you so much!!


    Teresa..thanks


    Thanks Reena..lol


    Hey Roy...thanks ...Olympics.. I don't think so lol! :}}



    Andrew...thanks so much ..!:}


    Lasse...thanks glad you liked : }



    John thanks, but you have me bet by a long way!!


    Ruth...I sure you know that kind of weather...thanks : }


    Thanks Frank...I will be careful : }

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did get a crazy mix of weather! Such a nice variety of birds at your feeders. I'm much more limited here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Grace, I can see the rain, snow and the ice and not much sunshine, but as you say those little birdies couldn't wait to come and see you. I brought you back a cactus plant from Spain for you to sit on when you take your photographs but also to remind you of me - your UK pain in the you know what.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A right mix of weather Grace, and it certainly brought a mix of birds with it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Elaine..thanks I am sure you know all about this kind of weather : }

    Hey Phil... I appreciate you thinking of me while you where away.."like a hole in the head you did "LOL You can sit on that cactus yourself..."you UK pain in the butt"; ]

    ReplyDelete
  24. Keith...they haven't stopped coming either..thanks for coming by!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Grace,
    What a wonderful selection of birds and your photography is so lovely. You are becoming quite a professional with that camera of yours.

    The weather is crazy isn't it. I am gardening in a jumper today. At the beginning of the week I had icicles on the water feature. What a mixed up weather pattern we are having at the moment.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow...so many beautiful wintery bird shots!!! i'm sure they don't stray very far from your feeders!
    good for you!! for taking care of their winter needs! AND for the fantastic bird pictures!!

    ReplyDelete