If you follow my blog you may remember at Christmas I had used the Red Winter Berry branches in my outside arrangement and said that the birds would feed of them during the winter this is one of those times!!
This is a container with one of those arrangement .....I brought it in back and sat it in the
rose garden and they found it .. : }
He has a berry in his mouth here ..unfortunately it was cloudy and late day so more than half the
shots didn't come out well...I was able to lighten a few ..I think I need Photo shop???
I wish I had been able to get the red "wax droplets"color on the back edge of the wings!!
"Hey" I was happy to get these, and was able to enter a count of
22 Cedar Waxwings to ebird!!
On Tuesday again late day I was doing a few things outside and I heard them singing away !
I went for the camera and started looking around !
They was about 10 of them sitting in a apple tree near by !!
I just started walking toward them and clicking just encase they flew, and I got fairly close before they
spooked and where of !
With these I had a problem with them being in bright late afternoon
sun, as you can see above!!
"Hey" I was just glad to see them again!!
The best way to tell the Cedar from the Bohemian is the under tail
which you can see here is white and the Bohemian is a rusty orange like color!
I believe the Bohemian is larger?
I think he is thinging "time to take flight"!!

i love these birds! thanks for the crawling, periscope description! loved that too!!!
ReplyDeleteOh how exciting. I have only seen pictures of them.. Someday. Your shots are beautiful with all the berries surrounding the birds.
ReplyDeleteOh, I love cedar waxwings! We will, I hope, have several pay a visit to the berries on our crabapple tree before long. They're a beautiful bird.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds, the nicest that I've seen. Brilliant photos and good comments.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and great shots! I had a flock of Cedar Waxwings descend in my yard last week and devour what was left of berries. Amazing sight!
ReplyDeleteWow. Great waxwing sightings! They are such beautiful, artistic birds! (I am a friend of Valerie's, by the way. Love your blog!)
ReplyDeleteThe last two shots are exceptional. As for Photoshop,yes,you want that. I have it and love it.
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Grace... beautiful birds to see and fantastic images...
ReplyDeleteI have a lovely image of you crawling across the floor sneaking up on them.
Hugs xx
I like these birds. I like too that you were able to tell the person on the phone to hold on a moment. You do have your priorities don't you?
ReplyDeletehaha....funny what gets us excited in these our golden years. i have only seen these once in my yard and i had about the same reaction when i saw them!!
ReplyDeleteawesome captures!!
p.s....i usually just hang up on peeps!
They are lovely birds GG and you got some great shots.
ReplyDeleteI observed and photographed some last winter for the first time. Trouble is you don't see them very often anyway, but its great when they turn up like that.
How neat! And, I have stopped phone conversations for many things, too. Sometimes I tell the person on the other end what it is all about, sometimes I don't - they'd think I'm a real goof ball. They would probably be right! ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa...anything to get the shot...lol
ReplyDeleteThanks Muffy ..hope you get a chance someday!!
Hi Jean...keep an eye out they will be in a neighborhood near you anytime now!!lol Thanks!!
Hi Bob...thanks my friend...: }
Kathyrn..thanks so much....yes they can clean in no time!! : }
Sparkplug...I knew that sounded familar when I saw that ; }!!
Thanks so much for your comment!!
Ruth thanks so much!!
Andrew...thanks... lol...anything to get the shot lol..hope that doesn't stick in your mind haha!!
John...yes I do ; } ,but I was polite about it though lol!!
Thanks!
Debbie..lol...thanks so much!!
Hey Roy...thanks so much for taking time to come by...
You can't wait for a better opportunity with these birds, it may never happen again!
Hi Lois...for sure if it doesn't interest them ...you are a goof ball and that makes two of us lol!!
ReplyDeleteThanks
YAHOO..they are gorgeous!! You got some great shots too. Thats a good idea to bring the berries to the house!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome photos of the birds!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely wonderful shots. The second to last is my favorite. Cedar waxwings have amazing colors, you captured what they have to offer. Thanks Grace.
ReplyDeleteWow! you've captured a great set of images of these beautiful birds Grace.
ReplyDeleteIt's good that you were well prepared, with camera to hand, and were able to put your tracking skills to good use across the bedroom floor!!
After mega amounts of Waxwings appeared here in the UK last winter there's been very few reported seen this winter!
A great post Grace...[;o)
HI Grae,
ReplyDeleteEnvy is not a word that I particularly like or use but today I am envious.
I adore waxwings and live in hope that one day they may just visit my garden for the berries.
They are lovely birds.....
Great images and tku for sharing them with us. Made my Sunday.
Love your writings....Ha! Can imagine you crawling across the floor etc etc.....
Beautiful! We had our first ever flock come through last week. We only saw them that one time and I couldn't get any decent shots, but I was thrilled. GLad you were able to capture the moment.
ReplyDeleteThe "birding bug" is going around (Phil, Bob, and the like) and these beautiful Cedar Waxwings obliged. Wow, gorgeous pictures of one of my favorite birds! Grace, thanks as always for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting Grace! And your periscope etc. description had me laughing out loud, I could absolutely see it!!
ReplyDeleteThe Bohemians came here in droves last Winter.... And I didn't see one of them... :-(
Great photos, beautiful with the berries, what a treat for you...and for us!
What a great bunch of visitors to have Grace. Lovely looking birds.
ReplyDeleteWe had lots of their cousins here last year.
Fantastic shots, Grace! They come through here just once or twice a year, it's always a treat!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous, simply gorgeous! Wow I'm terribly jealous. Well done on this observation and pictures...
ReplyDeletewow...what beautiful birds!! gorgeous pictures!
ReplyDeleteand thanks for the funny periscope image...
oooohhhhh i just LOVE your new picture!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Sue..thanks for coming by and your comment!!: }
ReplyDeleteSeasons..thanks so much ..glad you enjoyed!!
Jan...thanks... like my description huh!!lol
Keith..thanks so much ...I remember how excited you where about there cousins!! ; }
Hi Jain...thnaks..hope you see yours soon!!
Hi Chris...thank you so much ..coming from you that means alot : }
Laura...thanks...like my visuals huh!! : } lol
Hi Debbie....thanks : }
I'm jsut coming back to enjoy that! Pfff... that's beautiful... I love the one staring down at you ;-) Love it!
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous! We have no crab apples this year so I have no waxwings stopping by to brighten the winter for me :-( Lucky you! They are such gorgeous birds.
ReplyDeleteFantastic shots of the Waxwings. Another beautiful birds. They do love the berries. Wonderful photos, Grace!
ReplyDeleteOutstanding shots!! I have not seen my bandit birds is what I call them...They are normally here this time of year. My bushes are loaded with berries just waiting for them.
ReplyDeleteNow if you had not been on the phone but had had your head down in the washing basket . . . Oh, perish the thought!
ReplyDeleteSo nice of you to have saved the berries from the general ravaging from the bushes so now you could get these splendid photos.