Thursday, January 12, 2012

~~~Following Up On Tuesday's Post~~~~

It is Thursday ...snowing like crazy out there, and I think this snow will be staying on the ground... not like the ones that barely covered the ground and melted within a day as the few snow falls we have had so far!!
It has been since Tuesday that I posted ... hmmm...I said I would be following up on that post ...so it is about time I get with it!!


This is at Two Light in Cape Elizabeth Maine...ya.. I know you only see one!
We where down hill from it on the ledges  so I was
looking up in that direction, so only one was visable!!
The ledges where we were  ..love a good crashing wave!!

Some Harlequin Ducks bobbing in the surf just of the rocks

Female Iders bobbing in the surf !


We left here freezing so the next photos where taking from the truck, to give us time to warm up!!

Surf gleaming ...Purple Sandpiper perhaps!!

Sea Gull's.... surfing the surf!!
And a want to be surfer ...lol...
Ya.. he has a wet suit ..but I wouldn't want my face to
hit that water as many times as he fell..brrrr !! 

Portland Head Light ...Cape Elizabeth Maine...the light tower was first
lite in 1791,and is the oldest light house in Maine!!

 Plaque along the pathway.. 

Ram Island ledge light sets in Casco Bay ..built in 1902..
  viewable from Portland head light !!

I would love to be able to do posts on all
60 light houses that dot the Maine coast!!
Of course see what there is for shore birds too!!





19 comments:

  1. Great series of images Grace, are any of the lighthouses manned or are they all automated? I look forward to that (detailed) post on all sixty...hahaha!

    You didn't fancy a bit of surfing then?

    Take care in the snow!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Cape Elizabeth. Perhaps I will get to visit one day this year. I would love to see the harlequins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be fun to visit and photograph every Maine lighthouse, wouldn't it! Some day I want to take a guided tour in the Scarborough Marshes. There must be so many interesting birds and other creatures living there. Great photos, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to visit...
    I would love to live on the coast Grace and your lovely images have just confirmed those dreams..
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb pictures is the first light made of iron? It's a beauty. We have a Ram Head here...it's just outside Plymouth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks beautiful, but no way i'd be surfing! eek! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful light houses! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, it does look cold! I have a fascination with light houses. I was amazed by how many I saw when I visited Kathie (Kathiebirds). I have never been to the NE Coast before then. Don't see that many so close together on the West Coast. I would like to see Harlequin ducks too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Trevor...hahaha don't hold your breathe!!
    The lighthouses are automated now!!


    Hi Katie...lovely area Cape Elizabeth...you need to check it out..thanks!!


    Hi Jean..thanks...you need to go take a look, but not right now lol!!


    Thanks Andrew....the Maine coast is a photographers dream....


    Hi Adrian...thank you so much!!


    Thanks Teresa..come on be a sport!!


    Thanks so much Lois!!


    Hi Kathyrn...Looks like you need to take a trip..lol..thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely series of photos! When we were in Maine in October we stopped at the Portland Head Light and also saw the Ram Island Ledge Light. We managed to see several lighthouses while we were in Maine, but spent a good portion of our time there up near Presque Isle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful lighthouse and beach photos. Interesting ducks! It doesn't look cold there...are these older? I guess I better go back and read Tuesday's post :-) I'm behind as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is it about lighthouses?... they are so legendary like they carry within them untold stories of the past both good and ill. That surfer looks like a bronze statue, not as wacky a comment as you may think we Brits love putting art on the beach. What a daft bunch we are

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT pictures Grace!!!!
    and i LOVE your icy header!!

    BBbbbbbbrrrrrr.....that surfer is chilling me to the bone!

    happy saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Elaine...thanks ...I actually grew up just this side of Presque Isle..Houlton..next timeyour in Maine we need to visit!!


    Hi Mary...the day before Christmas these where taken...
    Thanks!!

    Hi Deb...now that I look at him he does look bronzed ; }
    Intrique is the word for light houses conjures up ghost and things ; ]
    Thanks so much!!


    Hi laura...Some people are pretty numb..he probably didn't feel a thing !! : }}
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Grace, I enjoyed this post and I love the lighthouses. It would be neat to see all the lighthouses In Maine. And of course I love your birds, the coastal birds are neat like the scotors and eiders and the harlequins. Great photos, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful pictures...
    the crashing waves is the best. but the view of the lighthouse in the island is very beautiful. amazing that it was made in 1902 when the technology was not developed...

    ReplyDelete
  17. An interesting post GG, perhaps the "Surfer" for want of a better description, was in training.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grace, beautiful shots of the coast and surf and here I was expecting to see all that snow from your backyard view...what a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Eileen ..I glad you enjoyed!!
    Nothing like a few hours at the ocean side to rejuvenate!!
    Thanks


    Thank you so much: Jyothisethu


    Hey Roy : }} thank you...the surfer dude..I not sure about that you may be right,,but I think he is nuts...would you do that in Maine in winter????


    Hi B...Well we have a crust covered landscape, ice and it is 8avove at 2:00 in the safternoon..brr!
    The sunshining on the snow is blinding!!

    ReplyDelete