Tuesday, January 10, 2012

~~~"Coastal Birding With My Daughter"~~~

A post I should have gotten done by now, but better late than never works for me!!
While visiting my Daughter for the Christmas holiday we had the chance to do some birding at some of her favorite coastal spots!! 
It was a beauty of a day as headed to Scarborough Marsh for our first stop!!  As we pulled into the parking lot we could see people walking the trail that passes through the marsh !!  We said wow they are dressed like it is 10 degrees...( it really was around 40 and sunny )!!
It was a very high tide with a breeze that had a real bite to it !!  We surely wasn't dressed for this stop, but "we went forth like troopers", cameras in hand...got some photos , and at about 600ft out on the trail "we turned tail and beat feet to the warmth of the truck "!!

Here are some photos from that stop!!

The Black Duck!!


Common Loon (winter plumage or juvenile)
aka in the UK ..Northern Diver ?



This next stop I'm not sure of the name of this harbour , but we where not out side long here either !!




The Long Tailed Duck ...my first time to see one
I counted over thirty  that where out in the bay  using binoculars
I tryed to get one with the tail visable ...
 but they where on the move!!


A quick stop at a tidal inlet we heard a Belted Kingfisher male.. letting
us know we where not welcome, but a chance for photos!!


Enough for this post..have more so another post to follow!!

15 comments:

  1. you saw some neat ones i've never seen (black duck, long-tail)! brrr! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Grace,

    I love to be by water. Sharing with daughter is perfect.

    I am not very up on water fowl, so cannot help you with the duck UK version :)

    I love the image of the little boat sat on the water. Reminds me of when I was in India and went out in one of a similar size. The water kept coming over the edge, by the time we got back to the beach I was soaked...Ha!

    Look forward to your next post......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful outing! I'm glad you found my blog and I'll be back to see more of your photos of your lovely part of the world. We certainly enjoyed our visit to Maine in October. In so many ways it's much like Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite is the Loon, a beautiful bird, yet, they all are brilliant. Keep it up Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vehicles make great bird hides GG. Nice photos all the same even though you must have been shivering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter lives in a lovely area, and I enjoyed all these photos, thanks so much Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow the belted kingfisher is a wonderful bird, but heye, give me back my long-tailed duck ;-) Beautiful stop you did with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Teresa...Thanks so much!!


    Hi Cheryl...Was that a bad reminder...I hope no!!
    Thanks



    Hi Elaine..thanks for coming by, I do like your blog..and I would love to visit Alaska some day!!


    Hi Bob ..Thanks my jamming friend!!


    Hey Roy...ride around with the heater on, and the windows rolled down...works for me!!
    Thanks!


    Hi Denise...Thanks you ..we love the ocean!!


    Hi Chris...Thanks, no you have to share hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great day out........It can be chilly on the mildest of days. The birds don't seem to mind though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a lovely family...and your shots are magnificent!
    Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing better than a nice bracing walk Grace!!...lol

    And a nice set of photos to document your outing...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got some good birds there Grace.
    So that's where our 'diver' went ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you had a wonderful day out Grace...
    Wonderful to see all your lovely wildlife..

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow..you saw some great birds! I wish I could see a loon sometime...so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grace, I must have missed this post. Great sighting of the ducks and the kingfisher is always a cool sighting. Great birds and photos. Looks like a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete