During the storm ...I counted a group of 22 Robins, 15 Starlings, 1 Northern Yellow Shafted Flicker, and 2 Bluebirds!! There schedule seems to be of by about 5 to 6 weeks, which is when they usually arrive for the summer!!!
The winter berries that where in my last post I had taken from the container and placed on top of one of the arbors...well they where completely gobbled up in no time flat!!
The Bluebirds managed to get some and the most exciting of all "A Northern Yellow Shafted Flicker"
in the mix feeding on the berries!!
It wasn't the kind of day I like to take photos,but if it hadn't been a lousy day the birds might not have been there ..so I did my sub-marine thing again.. this post is the "Flicker"!!!!!!
Northern Yellow Shafted Flicker ( male)!
Mainly feed on ground insects, berries, and suet at feeders!!
Got one!!!
The red on the back of his head looks almost like a heart shape!!
And another!!
Lousy weather "huh" !!
Of he flew and I haven't seen him since!!
I have never seen one in the winter and I don't know how unusual it is for them to be here in
winter!! I used to see them in the summer, but in recent years no so much, and never
have been this close to one : }}}}}}}} !!!
Next post will be the Robins !!!
ooh, you got some great shots! showing off all of his yellow! :)
ReplyDeleteHe's a beautiful bird. I have never seen one, except in pictures. Your pictures are awesome.
ReplyDeleteWOW! WOW! WOW! What a great catch! Terrific photos Grace.
ReplyDeleteOh wow.You got amazing shots of this one.
ReplyDeleteOh, wowee, what a wonderful bird Grace. Our weather Down Under has been just as odd, extreme heat alternating with cold so you get your long johns out, followed by another heat wave. Nature is confused, autumn leaves on the poplars and Naked Ladies (BElladonna lilies) flowering in mid-summer rather than presaging autumn rains by two weeks. One used to be able to tell the time by them, now everything seems upside down.
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty bird, Grace!
ReplyDeleteI love all it's different markings.
Our weather in Australia is just "wrong" at the moment lol!
It should be hot-very hot! But I'm sitting here in a warm fleecy top and my thick winter tights!
Some of our trees and vines are shedding or colouring up for Autumn already.
There's always something interesting going on outdoors, as you know all too well, lol!
Beautiful photos, dear friend.
Be blessed! love..Trish
Dear Grace, nice shots of the flicker! Lovely that you caught the underside of the wings! I checked on eBird and saw that other people are reporting Northern Flickers in Maine right now with 1 report being by Marshal Illiff, one of the eBird reviewers for my area. It seems that NOFL's can be seen in Maine year round but there are fewer sightings in winter and fewer sightings inland. Most are along the coast. Some of this is due to population density and some due to the fact that there are fewer observers inland. In fact, you are the furthest inland report in the last 30 days! In fact, the 4th week in January has the least fewest reports of this species throughout the year, so good thing you not only reported it but photographed it! Good job! Well done! and Keep up the good work! You can copy and past the link to this post and put it in your eBird report if you want to. You can also embed photos in your list but I have not tried to do that yet. They have instructions on their homepage.
ReplyDeleteIf you would like to check on this or any other bird sightings yourself, go to eBird and click on the "View and Explore Data" tab. From there you can click on a number of options but to view Maine's report, select "Maine" from the lists of states, then click "the entire region" or whatever else you want, then click continue. from there it will bring up a bar chart of all the species seen in Maine throughout the year. As you scroll down the list you will see a little button next to each species name which says, "map." If you click on the map it will show you where the species has been seen in the state with the most recent sightings as red pins on the map. If you click on the pins it will show you the date and who submitted the sighting. Give it a try and have fun. I can get lost in "Exploring Data!" I did eBird for over 2 years before I even knew that my name was coming up all over the map! LOL!!!
Hi Grace, I love your Flicker. Beautiful photos with the Flicker and the berries. He does have the pretty colors with the red and yellow, just a beautiful bird. Great photos, have a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteImpossible to miss such a beautiful bird. I wonder if the bird knows, how well 'decorated' he is or how WE feel when we look at it! Happy, of course. All the pictures are great, but the last one is special. Thanks Grace.
ReplyDeletePrzepiękna seria zdjęć z ptakiem. Gratuluję i pozdrawiam. *** Beautiful series of photos of the bird. Congratulations and best regards.
ReplyDeleteNice pictures of the flicker Grace. I remember them from my time in Long Point when they migrated north in large numbers. Talking of numbers, I'm impressed with your counting skills lately, but dont forget to use both hands or you will only get to five. No goofing around now and keep blogging.
ReplyDeleteYou've gotten some beautiful shots of the Flicker. We see them in the summer , never in the winter....but I guess that's all changeable the way our weather has been.
ReplyDeleteI would love to see a flicker here. I did see one at a friend's in Cape Elizabeth on Thanksgiving Day.
ReplyDeleteDo you ever share your photos with the Maine Audubon Society? I bet they would love to see them, honestly.
Drop my jaw, WOW these captures are awesome. The berries match the colors on its head.
ReplyDeleteIts is strange weather all over the country.
you got some awesome shots! I've not had one of these guys visit me ...
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog, Grace and I thought I would return the compliment. How glad I did!
ReplyDeleteIt seems as if everybody's weather is awry at the moment. We are having the first cold days of winter - up until yesterday we had only had one frost this year instead of every day.
The flicker photos are terrific. They look like a cross between our woodpeckers and a mistle thrush. I've never seen one before now but love them.
Johnson
You got some great shots showing off his lovely yellow and other markings. I may have to plant one of those bushes.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great looking bird Grace! Looks a bit like a type of Woodpecker?! Very envios of you getting this in your garden!
ReplyDeleteJ
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES
What a wonderful bird to see Grace.
ReplyDeleteA newbie for me so many thanks for sharing your wonderful images..
I hope you are keeping well? it's getting quite cold here at the moment but all ifs scrape a bit of frost of the windscreen in the morning..
Fantastic shots! The berries really add to your photos. I love the ones with the berries in the mouth. We get the Northern Flicker here too. I haven't seen them too often but it's exciting when you do.
ReplyDeleteOH you lucky duckie!! Im gonna get me a berry branch and put by my window after seeing the great results you have received. Fantastic shots girl...!!! NOW if you can get a Snowy Owl to come in...I see they are invading the norhtern tier of the lower 48 you got a shot at seeing one!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for dropping by and leaving your sweet comments. I hope you'll be back....
Your photographs of the flicker are awesome...I can't believe you were able to get so close...They must have been very hungry....We have them in North Carolina but I have not heard of anyone seeing any recently.....
I can't wait to see the Robins.....
Hi Teresa...Thank ya girl! : }
ReplyDeleteThanks Muffy : }
Larry thanks so much ..just a bit of luck..: }
Thanks Ruth!!: }
Arija...thanks so much ..I have to keep remembering your heading into a differnt season than us : }
Hi Trish...It is nice to hear from you..thank you so much..like Arija above she is in Austriala and says the weather is crazy!!
Thanks so much Katie...and for your help with the ebird problem!! : }
Eileen...Thanks so much ..he is a beauty : }
Thanks so much Seasons..I glad you enjoyed!! : }
Giga..thanks for your lovely comment and stopping by!! : }
Hey Phil...thanks my good friend...no worry about counting...I do most from inside and I like to be in my bare feet..lol yup I can use my toes too!! ; }
Thanks so much Sue...: }
Jean..thanks so much ..I may do that : }
Tammy ...drop my jaw I like that..lol
Thanks so much!! : }
Thanks Reena..are you still in the paradise? : }
Hi Johnson...thanks for coming by and your kind comment... : }
Mary..yup... and plant it right under your window lol!!
Thanks so much!! : }
John thanks so much...it is in the woodpecker family ...I am envious of you to : }
Hi Andrew...Just plain luck on this one thanks so much : }
I am doing ok thanks for asking!
Hi Elaine...I heard from my nephew that it was -50 up your way ..hope your keeping warm..thanks !! : ]
Oh Sondra...what a hoot you are..If I see and get a shot of a Snowy you will hear me shouting from here ; }lol
Thanks so much GIRL!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFabulous shots GG.
ReplyDeleteThat is one unusual name for a bird.{:)
HI Nancy...thank you so...I took the photo from in side or he would have been gone!! ; }
ReplyDeleteHey Roy...Glad to hear from you ...thanks ever so much!
The Flicker is in the Wood pecker family!! : }
Hi Grace, you got some beautiful photos of your visitor. It really is a lovely and most striking bird. Glad you pointed out the red spot, I thought at first it was one if the berries.
ReplyDeletewhat a show off and i am jealous!!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteHe is just gorgeous, and doesn't he just look stunning amongst the berries.
I love the image of him taking flight. Treasure the moment my friend.
We are expecting snow tonight and it has been bitterly cold for the last few days.
The easterly wind has nearly cut me in half at times :(
Wowee, I've never seen the Northern Yellow Shafted Flicker, it is wonderful. My favourites are numbers 1 & 6, they are beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteHe's a beauty; and great captures of him.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Jan..lol yes I didn't think of that!!
ReplyDeleteLOL thanks Debbie..I think ; }
Hi Cheryl...thanks my friend ..oh I hope not for your garden sake!!
Hi Bob..wowee...thanks you so much!! : }
Thanks so much Keith !! : }
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Jan..lol yes I didn't think of that!!
ReplyDeleteLOL thanks Debbie..I think ; }
Hi Cheryl...thanks my friend ..oh I hope not for your garden sake!!
Hi Bob..wowee...thanks you so much!! : }
Thanks so much Keith !! : }
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletei LOVE LOVE LOVE this bird!! we don't have them down here...at least i've never seen one!!
ReplyDeletebeautiful pictures...especially that last ACTION shot!! wow!!
Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! I love this set of pictures, it is wonderful!
ReplyDelete