Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"Should Have Stayed Home" (I Do Need The Exercise Though)

Yesterday morning I decided that the camera and I should go for a walk and see what we could see..after all we had been stuck in the garage all summer  intent on catching every move the Kestrels had made !!
It was still a little cooler than the rest of the day was predicted to be, so off we went!!

Two hours later after poking and searching for some interest photos...especially looking for butterflies and birds I returned home without !!

Wouldn't you know as soon as I started to cross the lawn a butterfly flew up onto a cedar tree right in front of me.  He was a bit high up  and with the almost noon sun  made it a bit hard to get a good photo , and of course he wouldn't open his wings fully so this is what I got!!



I had no idea what is was ...I'm sure he has been around,but just never seen it before!!


After a little checking I came up with..
"Question Mark"..no I still wasn't wondering ..thats what it is !!
"Polygonia Interrogationis"
You can bet I am going to be on the look out for this fellow,and try for an
open wing shot!!  I want to see that rim of pale blue wide open...it is lovely!!
And I am not leaving home to do it ...you won't believe the things that
happen for me right in my own little paradise!!




A few  photos from my walk that I did like !!



"Meadowsweet"




Spiders web covered with dew...I love the way it shimmers
in the sunlight!!



"Spotted Knapweed"



There seem to be a bit of a Question...pun intended to which butterfly I have posted.
This is just one of the things I went by...I called the rime edge a blue but it is refered to violet!
It appears in most photo I looked at as the under wings closed tight and the color of a rusty
color as my photos shows so...????
I think so far the girls have it!!



 

29 comments:

  1. I think your butterfly is a Comma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing shots of the butterfly GG, it looks similar in shape to our "Comma" Species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your butterfly is beautiful. That image of the spider web is very cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do love those leafwing butterfly types! love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where Dorothy in the "Oz" movie, "I wont go wandering any farther than my own back yard". There is something to it.

    I love that butterfly, how awesome is that the baby blue trim. Awesome shots on your walk, love the lacy web.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, that's a tough call on your butterfly. I would say a Question Mark, too!! Hope it returns so you can get a more conclusive picture!!! Some of my best pictures are from my own property! Murphy's Law!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are great ! I do that go out and walk and look for stuff to photograph ! Sometimes ya find things and sometimes ya dont thats a photographers way and will ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go with Question Mark also since you mentioned the Bluish outline of the wing..in my butterfly field guide it mentions this for he question mark..the largest of the Angle Wings--SUPER image too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Adrian...boy I hate to disagree with the experts, but I think I am right!! ???? :?
    thanks for coming by !!


    Hey Roy...It is close...I have added photos on the end of my post to show the difference...like I told Adrain I don't want to disagree with the experts...I am certainly not one!!
    Thanks so much!!


    Hi Lois...thanks so much : }


    Hi Teresa...I love the paper cut out look to : }}
    Thanks!!


    Hi Tammy ...funny girl you...: }
    Thanks so much ...maybe it's the grass is always greener on the other side thing...maybe something there that you can't get at home : }}
    Thanks so very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Karen...I did some more digging this morning and I am still positive to..added some info this morning on the bottom of my post!! Thanks for the vote on my ID ... : }}
    I hope I see it again..on my own property!!! lol


    Hi Elaine...thanks ..yes that the play of the cards lol.



    Hi Sondra...Thanks...and for your vote of ID too....I think the blush violet gives it away plus the photo I added this morning shows other reasons!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVE it when things turn out like that! Super!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know my butterflies real well,so no argument from me.I do hope it shows up again and gives you an open wing display.

    ReplyDelete
  13. " "Should Have Stayed Home" (I Do Need The Exercise Though)" Ah, how many times I've said that as I laid on the ground waiting for the rescue squad and watching the vultures circling overhead after falling on my can and/or face during one of my adventures. At least I've gotten very good at protecting the camera and lens on the way down. Bumps, bruises and contusions heal. New camera gear is expensive!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Grace,
    Lovely photo`s! I don`t know what sort of butterfly it is, but whatever species, it looks a beauty!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is unmistakably beauty, the Comma Butterfly is precious. The second, it is not the Comma, it's possibly a fritillary, I think.
    Santana, I have more than 3 albums, which I endeavor to play them at sometime. This one was from their album (Welcome).

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Kerri...Me to... thanks so much!!

    Hi Ruth...thanks ...I'm watching!!


    Hi Chip...so isn't a stay at the hospital lol

    Hi John..thank you , I hope to find him again with wings open wide!!

    Hi Bob Thanks...happy listening! :}}

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Grace.
    I agree with your ID you have shown all the evidence.
    It's a beautiful butterfly and your wild flowers are also wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Andrew..Thanks so very much...
    and for agreeing your a Sweet ♥
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the meadowsweet (and the bee) and the spider web.

    ReplyDelete
  22. HI Larry...Hey thanks so much ...hope your having a good nature week! : }

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Grace
    We only get Comma over here so can not comment but nice shot either way, keep clicking.......Steve

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI Steve..thanks so very much...I will keep clicking!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Grace,
    sometimes the best finds are at home; for instance, your lovely , magnificent Kestrel photos. I have been taking pictures all day of an ever elusive Redstart in our trees. Interestingly enough I consider taking a picture of a rainsoaked spiderweb. Your is lovely. thanks for stopping by.
    Ann, I am also a grammie G

    ReplyDelete
  26. HI Ann...Thanks so much...
    I hope you sneak up on that Redstart .lol
    You mean there are two of us : }}
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Grace. Nice piece of dective work AND you had it right from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely! Your Question Mark has a lot more light on it than mine did, which I'm sure makes the colors look somewhat different. The ones I see always look pretty much like what I shot.

    ReplyDelete