This is a Viceroy butterfly...
How do I know that you might ask, it looks very much
like the Monarch?
Even at a good distance away I could see that single black
bar; that runs across the bars running down the wing, near the bottom !!
I learned this , after many years of mistaking them for Monarch's
I had done a post on what I thought was a Monarch only to be corrected by a
fellow blogger ..my daughter ..shoot!! : }
Why he is on the berries of the Honeysuckle I don't know !!
He sure had a great time going all around through them!
I couldn't find anything that said they would eat berries!!
Maybe my daughter knows why??? : }
hmmmm...maybe he's just resting...after all...they do so much flying around, i guess the bright smooth red berry looked like the perfect place to catch his breath! :)
ReplyDeleteare those fritillaries in your header picture?? we have the gulf fritillary here...so many of them on my yellow lantana right now!!
beautiful picture!!
Well darn me, another post and this one isn't in my RH column either. Grace I think you are just posting too fast and too frequent so Blogger can't keep up with you. I like the butterfly that likes your Honeysuckle - maybe it just likes the colour or is finding something tasty to feast on?
ReplyDeleteHI Laura...hmmm..you could be right ; }
ReplyDeleteYes they are the Great Spankled (Zerene) Flittary !!
I did a post called The Dance last week about then ...see my archive!!
Thanks ...and for coming on board !!
Grace
Hey Phil...I don't know what's up with that either...I think it is your fault for bugging me about getting my hummer post done!!
ReplyDeleteWell thanks Phil...at least you found it..lets see how long this one takes to show up on followers reader lists!! grrr
Hi Grammie,
ReplyDeleteOnce again beautiful images.
I am kept in check by my daughter most of the time :)
One year a Comma butterfly was frequently found amongst the dogwood berries. Several were split, I can only assume she was taking the sweet nectar from them.
Maybe the same with your pretty butterfly ??
BTW I did not receive your email....odd.
I would like to see and photograph the Viceroy, but I can't. It is superb, Grace.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful butterfly Grace... and like Bob says not one we see in the UK so many thanks for sharing..
ReplyDeleteHI Bob...Thanks you so much...
ReplyDeleteI wish you could too! : }}
Hi Andrew..thanks ...glad to be able to share my world with you all!! : }
I love seeing things I wouldn't see here. I think it is just sunbathing.
ReplyDeleteHi GG, lovely images again.
ReplyDeleteYou are seeing a lot of butterflies now.
The berries may be part of its food choices.
Fantastic header by the way.
Gorgeous!! Not many butterflies around here right now. Too cold and wet, I think!
ReplyDeletethey are lovelies!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures, very nice looking at them!
ReplyDeleteThanks to Grammie for the beautiful pictures, and thanks to Grammie's girl for letting us know the Viceroy from the Monarch. I imagine the butterfly is saying: "Hmmmmm! Berry, berry sweet." Take care.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Adrian...thanks it is fun to share the difference where we live!!
ReplyDeleteSunbathing you may be right!
Hey Roy...thanks ..so many more than last year I can't believe!
Hi Karen...They seem to be in good abundance this year...
Thanks!!
Hi Teresa..Thanks very much!
HI P. ..Thank you so much!!
Hi Seasons...My girls are both sweet hearts and where brought up in the country and know there stuff :}}
Sweet...you may be right!!
Thanks : }
Hi Adrian...thanks it is fun to share the difference where we live!!
ReplyDeleteSunbathing you may be right!
Hey Roy...thanks ..so many more than last year I can't believe!
Hi Karen...They seem to be in good abundance this year...
Thanks!!
Hi Teresa..Thanks very much!
HI P. ..Thank you so much!!
Hi Seasons...My girls are both sweet hearts and where brought up in the country and know there stuff :}}
Sweet...you may be right!!
Thanks : }
What a wonderful array of colors!
ReplyDeleteSometimes there is a sap that oozes out around the tops of berries...maybe thats what they're after. I have seen these look a likes but so far no photo of one as far as I know I should check my archieves--there may be an Identity Theif right under my nose....;o|
ReplyDeleteHi Lois...Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHi Sondra...you never know these day's what's out there lurking to trip you up...lol : oo
Thanks ..I think your right!!
He sure is pretty among those red berries.
ReplyDeletePure Beauty!
ReplyDeleteLovely! I haven't seen any Viceroys yet. I did see more Monarchs today. It looks great on those berries.
ReplyDelete