Saturday, August 6, 2011

"Two Cardinals"

Yesterday  I heard the call of the American Cardinal...I hadn't see or heard them since early spring!!
They winter over here and a most delightful sight sitting in snow covered tree!!
This follow was now doubt checking out the seed supplies in the neighborhood for the months to come!!

Also the week the Cardinal flower bloomed in the garden.   It is it's first year to bloom !
So why not put them together in  a post !!

Mr. Cardinal being shy...!!


Bet you can't see me now...
with that red coat who couldn't !!


The Cardinal flower ..wonder how it got that name??



I love that I added this plant to the garden ..
the Hummingbirds just love it!!

Hope your having a special weekend  !!

29 comments:

  1. perfect pairing of gorgeous red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of the cardinals :-) Such wonderful color right now. Glad to know the hummingbirds like that flower...will have to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bird and the flower are both so pretty. We love our cardinals here. We have several families of them here in our area which is somewhat unusual because they are generally territorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bird......if a little shy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Was gone a while. Returned to be treated with these beautiful pictures - this post and the ones before. Really like what you keep doing with the blog. Lovely family pictures on the sidebar, and butterflies on the header.

    Your personality comes through the pictures you take...and that is special.

    Thanks for sharing! Keep well, you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bob...thanks my friend!!


    Hi Teresa..seems the whole country is in the red lol

    Hi Mary...Yes give it a try.. did great through the winter and is growing like wildfire ..I just love it , but it is hard to caught the Hummingbird when he is into it ...bugger!!
    Thank you!


    Hi Lois...This one seems to be alone which puzzles me.
    Thanks very much!!


    HI Adrian...It is probably on of our brightest colored birds in my area!!
    Thanks


    Hi Frank....Thanks so much!!



    HI Seasons...Aw..thanks ..you always lift my spirits!!
    I needed that today ..well all week : }}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew there was a cardinal flower, it sure it beautiful just like the bird.

    He is so lovely sitting there peeping out. I cant get enough of them especially in the winter, they do decorate a leafless tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cardinals are great, both feathered and flowered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is it that you haven't got time to listen to music, the whole world should listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never get too many cardinals...we are lucky to have them yr round here..And now the young are coming to the feeders with the Parents...Fun to watch what appears to be a full grown bird begging Mom for a snack...lol
    Great FLOWER too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful bird to see Grace...
    and such a wonderful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Tammy..thanks ..they are great!!


    HI Larry...Thanks so much!!


    Hi Bob...I had to mow the grass, and other chores to do...I'm a busy women you know....lol


    Hi Sondra...It must be great to see them with the young!!
    Thanks...

    HI Andrew..thanks.. when see them you know what it is ..no doubting!

    !

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cardinal is our state bird and a regular visitor at our feeders year round. They surely do look wonderful in the snow. I'll have to show my wife the cardinal flower. We need to do a little work on the flower beds to replace some plants damaged recently. Maybe she'll add some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Grace,
    I am extremely jealous of you, having Cardinals and Hummingbirds coming to your garden! The perennial lobelia you have there has always been one of my favourite flowers!
    Just lovely!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great reddy colours there Grace but where's your hummer? Have you misplaced it like someone else I know?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful flower GG.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Grace.. Love the cardinal picture.. and your right, there is nothing like seeing a cardinal against the white snow.. beautiful. Gotta work this morning... wont' be at church.. miss seeing you and hoping your doing well!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Chip...You have a lot down there we are thrilled when we hear or see them!!
    The Cardinal Plant was on a mark down at Wally world (Walmart) at the end of the season , and wasn't sure it was going to make it ...but it did !! : }}
    Your wife will love it !!
    Thanks!!

    Hi John ..I should have mentioned the Lobelia family just in case people would look for it, but mostly know as the Cardinal Plant!!
    A beauty!!
    Thanks...you have some beauties we don't have here too! : }}


    Hey Phil..do you give your wife a lot of grief...you sure do me lol hahaha!!
    Thanks anyway!!


    Hey Roy...I am enjoying it, and so do the birds and bee!! : }


    Hey Tracey.. work : {
    My ride was a no show, so I am home!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cardinals and Cardinal flower..both beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two spectacular Cardinals to grace the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI Kerri..Thanks so much!!


    Pantheraka..Thanks !!

    Hi Dawn...Thanks and for coming by...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous pair of reds.

    Love the cardinal bird, they are so pretty. They always looks so soft and sweet.

    I cannot grow the cardinal plant....rabbits crop it to the floor. Grrrrrr, bad rabbits :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Keith..Nice surprise : }}}
    Thanks..graceful indeed!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Cheryl...oh good thing I hacven't had any rabbits..maybe I should watch the deer though, the eat the Comfrey and Phlox grrrr!!!

    Thanks ...
    PS. I got your message ..

    ReplyDelete
  25. As Chip noted above, the cardinal is the state bird here in Va but this seems to prefer oiler temps,

    ReplyDelete