Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Happy Little Chipping Sparrow"

The Chipping Sparrows have been a constant little bundles of chatter in the last few weeks !!
Their song has a variation of a fast trill which sounds like a buzzing noise, and a slow, high pitch "chi~ chi~ chi" !!
It is like a constant family reunion at the feeders.  

They are an average of 4-5 inches long with slim bodies ....I tryed to count those in the tree one day got up to at least fifty, but they move so quickly that it is hard to stay ahead of them!!


"The Chipping Sparrow"


What you can't see here, is that the back side of the feeder!!
There can be 9 to 10 on there at the same time!!




But of course there is always a "cranky pants"in the bunch!!




  Zip out of hiding in straight line formation...
to the feeder...



Then back..




"Come on in the water is fine"...
Yesterday's rain filled the puddle in the driveway, so it is a early
 morning dip this morning!

Aww...just  right !!!



The splashing begins....



Feels so good...


I love watching these little guys!!

31 comments:

  1. They remind me of the flocks of House Sparrows we get here. They love to splash about in groups too.
    Love the last shots of them in the puddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Keith...they are comical to watch splashing about!! : }}

    ReplyDelete
  3. They must have all fledged lately. There are so many of them!
    Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching House Sparrows. They can cost seriuos money in seed, fatballs and peanuts. They eat everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very cute. We always have sparrows at our feeder and they always provide a show. Darling little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful captures..
    loved the puddle bath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photographs, very good shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sparrows are such a lively bunch. Especially appreciate your pictures of the the sparrow taking off and zooming back...pretty fast...gotta click at the right moment. You have given them all they need - food, bath, playground. Didn't you ask: "Anything else your highness?" They look happy. Thanks for sharing, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are an absolute delight! nice to see such a bunch of them at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Renna...Thank you...I think your right!!


    Hi Adrain ...yes they can,but these little one will be heading out of town when it real cold!!
    Thanks!

    Hi Lois...thanks ...they always seem happy!!



    Hi Laura..Thanks...


    Thanks you Pantherka!!


    Hi Seasons...I suppose I could fill the puddle this morning since it dryed up yesterday!! lol
    They might like that!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Teresa...Thanks..so sweet the are!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chippies...they normally come in groups around here too but we get them more in the fall...Enjoyed this series very much Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sondra...you probably see them then because they have got out of town before the cold sets in here : }}
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a good post on a family of birds that really do not get that much publicity in blogland. I like the shot of the one taking flight from the feeder. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I put the sprinkler on in the garden the little birds all zip in for a shower! I don't have as many birds around this summer as I sm not feeding all because of a pesky squirrel. I just don't want the squirrels close to the house as they can get destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks .ya.. the little guys deserve some publicity since they bring such much cheerfullness!!
    I like that one too!!


    Hi Cicero...what a nice gal you are to the feathered community!!
    I would have liked to run through the sprinkler a lot this summer!!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so cute. I have never seen that many at once,but would welcome them to my yard.I have a few,and really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great little bird shots!! so many feathered friends!! i love that one you caught in mid flight...where the cranky one is saying 'get outa here! me here first!'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful little birds to see splashing around Grace.
    They all look very happy to be in your garden and your lovely captions have made me "happy" to.
    A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are lovely, always swimming, or not. They are beautiful Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great series Gail, the buffet is open and the gang's all here. Those who bathe together stay together... or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boy-hidi, you sure have a family of birds there and you captured them in flight! I bet they can empty a feeded in a matter of days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the cute little sparrows, and they apparently love the "digs" you offer them. We had sparrows once, at our former house, but we've not seen them here. Wish we would.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow! yo have quite a lot of them! I'm only getting 2 or 3 in my yard. They are so cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI Ruth...thank you!!



    Thanks Laura...It reminds me of a bird angel lol


    Hi Andrew..thank you !!


    Hi Bob...thanks ..cutie's aren't they!!


    Thanks Larry ..lol. something like that!! : }}



    Hi Tammy...thanks...they are hungry little critter's,and can sing at the same time !! : }}


    Hi Jean..thanks..I'll send some to you and you can pay the food bill..lol


    Hi Katie ..thanks..they will be headed your way when it gets cold...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Grace, we've seed bunches of these littleguys around here too and when the feeders are refilled they come in droves. Enjoyed all your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  27. HI Beatrice...I let the feeder go one day without filling it so hey will clean up around it,because like you said...they come in droves!!
    Thanks...how's the weather ...we are getting more hot steamy hummid days !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Grace and so sorry to hear you have a temperature. I hope you didn't get poorly by sitting out in all weathers trying to get pictures of those Kestrels. I remember those chippers from my time at Long Point- happy little critters! My cure for being under the weather is a dram or two of the amber nectar and I don't mean the stuff the hummers drink!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent set of pictures. I guess you enjoy having those guys around ;-) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Phil ...thanks and for the sympathy.
    I don't know how I got it could be your right because evidentally I have had it for a while : {


    HI Chris....thank you so much, and oh so happy to hear from you, Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow...I never see that many of them! I think they are one of the cutest little sparrows. I have 2-3 that check out my driveway every day. I don't usually buy the seeds they like, but they hang around anyway. I love watching the birds in the water. That's quite a swimming hole you have there for them :-)

    ReplyDelete