I hear a Male Mourning Dove calling for a mate from his perch in the pines ,but not a lot of activity that a sunny day would bring to my gardens!!
The Humming bird, who arrived yesterday at the feeder that I hung the evening before, has been feeding heavily though. Probably needing extra fuel for that tiny body after his long trip to get here!
The House Swallow, numbering at least 10, that darted and swooped over the bird houses the past sunny days are very quite today...perhaps not rainy day house hunters!!
Being that it is a dreary I thought it was a good time for some color to brighten the day, so here are some photos I took Monday as a happy song singing gathering of House Finches, dined on the circle bar at Grammie's restaurant!!
The House Finch could be called the vegetarian's of the bird world. There diet is make up of plant materials, seeds, tree bud, and fruit,with black oil seeds being the favorite at the feeders!!
Nestlings are feed strictly a diet of plant materials, a fairly rare occurrence in the bird world!!
The Male House Finch is a lovely rosy red color!!
The coloration of his coat comes from
pigment found in it's food during molt!
The more pigment in the food the redder the bird!!
.
The Female not a colorful lady,but is wise in her ways
of choosing her mate...She prefers the reddest of the males
with chances that he is capable of doing his part
at feeding a healthy diet to the nestlings!!
I'll look like I am not interested," but they are a
couple of flashy fellows!!
Who invited the yellow guy???
Wow!! There goes a real flashy red guy!!
"Well don't feel bad" ...she didn't give me a second look either!!
The credit for info. goes to http://www.allaboutbirds.org/
you didn't really think I knew all that did you?


Funny! I put up the same bird site , its amazing.
ReplyDeleteAwesome photos. Our Orioles are back and the Red Breasted Grosbeak. I havent seen our Hummers yet but their food is a waiting for them lol. Hope you get some sun soon. Have a great day !
Ok, so you've confirmed Mt suspicions: the hummers are back! I noticed yesterday that the nectar in the feeder was disappearing, but I've yet to actually see one of the little buggers.
ReplyDeleteLovely images of a lovely bird GG.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the color,on this rainy day.
ReplyDeleteHi Elaine...thanks so much....good bird site..ususally does it for me!!
ReplyDeleteWow good for you I'll be over to take a look!!
Hi Jean...hahaha.. you always crack me up...yes the little buggers are here..reported in Buxton yesterday to lol !! Thanks
Hey Roy...thank you so very much!!
Hi Ruth...your welcome ..you to!! : {
HOWDY--your bird feeders are covered with some beauties---I really love that 3rd to last shot you can see the variety of all the colors, stripes and shapes of these birds--hope your dreay goes away soon and you get the BLUE skies!!
ReplyDeleteHowdy yourself Sondra...Thanks so much...they did do a good display of there colors and patterns!! I had them trained lol!!
ReplyDeleteDrizzly day here. Perfect for making cookies which I've done already.
ReplyDeleteLove the colorful finches, Grammie G. We had quite a rush of goldfinches a couple of weeks ago and but the numbers have gone done lately. We still have house finches. Thanks for all the info too.
ReplyDeleteWhat would we do without all the colorful finches? Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you Cicero, Beatrice and Mary..for your comments 3 lovely ladies!! : }}
ReplyDelete