I ended up having to use a point and shoot, because for some reason it was the only one that I could get it to show up on , and was darn near blinded just pointing and hoping it was getting something!! Also I was lying on my back on the lawn ..it seemed to be the only way to get it the best.
After I got up I wondered what the neighbors thought...the ground was wet from the day befores rain , and not actually the kind of weather yet for this sort of activity
Does anybody know what caused this???
It was a huge ring, not just one of those close to the sun type!!
It was gray like the color of a cloud,but in a circle , with the sun
piercing through with a bright light!!
The rest of the sky was blue with scattered clouds!!
The rainbow effect around it was hard to capture, so not as beautiful as
just looking at it!!
It was strange I have never seen anything like this, and I am a
person who loves to look at the sky, it is always so interesting!!
It wasn't one of those come and go things either.
It was there from about 10:30 until about 1:30 then it started to shift
and the sun was no longer in the center!!
Clouds moved in and eventually covered it !!
...you're lucky you didn't blind yourself! :-) I've seen a rainbow around the sun, but I know next to nothing about atmospheric occurrences (I'm surprised I knew to string those two words together!). I guess there must be moisture up there somewhere...maybe thin clouds behind it or rain on the way?
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly....well...I tryed closing my eyes each time lol ....but by the end if the day my eyes where kinda sore!!: }
ReplyDeleteBravo...you did better than I would have string that together!!
Kelly you are right.Grammie it is the change in the atmosphere and barametric pressure there was moisture up in the sky and like a rainbow the reason that you see the colors is because the sun is shining through the moisture and mixed air and thats what creates the ring and or colors. It's hard to explain in writing lol but this is the jist of it. Hope this helps. Awesome photos. Have a great day !
ReplyDeleteIf you are interested in whats up in the sky heres a fantastic Astronamy website http://www.spaceweather.com
ReplyDeleteThe ring around the sun, visible thanks to Otis, was created by sunlight shining through ice crystals in high cirrus clouds. When the geometry is right, those same ice crystals can create genuine sundogs. Look for them whenever the sky is hazy with cirrus. And if you don't have a puppy to block the glare... well...browse the links below. This was from the website I just posted !
ReplyDeleteThis is spectacular.I have seen Sundogs,but they usually are not in a complete circle.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteI have a wonderful vision of you lying on the lawn, camera in hand, eyes half shut....Ha!
You are such fun.
I have never seen that before, so cannot help.
It is beautiful though and you did well to get some images. I hope your eyes are ok....I am a little worried!
Hi Elaine...I wonder if you might be the one who would know ...isn't it your husband that takes photos of the night sky??
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info and web site!!
Hi Ruth...It was a little strange...I half expected the Lord to step out of the middle haha!!
Hi Cheryl....aren't I just to much fun!!!hahaha
I hope that vision doesn't stay stuck in your mind...hahaha
Yes my eyes are ok : }
That is very strange GG, I have no idea what causes it though. You really need to be careful about looking at the sun, not a good idea at all.
ReplyDeleteWell its awesome!! Maybe since it had rained it was some sort of a mix of the sun n moisture...Im sure you were blind for a while---
ReplyDeleteI saw something very similar only once ... yours was so very well defined and you got good pictures of it. Good thing you didn't blind yourself!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Roy...thanks for your concern...I will be more careful : }}
ReplyDeleteHi Sondra...thanks...never a dull moment around here...:}}
Hi Cicero... thanks!! I still can't get over it ...so weird!!
What a great chance to catch such a neat meteorlogical mystification. And so clear. I've seen some very dull sun dogs but yours were great. I checked with a friend at the NOAA site up the road and he said it means 5 more weeks of winter and 3 blizzards!!!! Sorry :-)
ReplyDeleteGrenville
HI Grenville....thanks so very much ....I feel I may need to talk with your friend at NOAA up the road ; } ..I think he may have a different answer than what you have said hmmmm...hahaha!!
ReplyDeleteHeck with all those scientific explanations, Grammie G, it's the eye of a large giant who lives in the sky. My story and I'm sticking to it, besides it's more fun.
ReplyDeleteHI Beatrice...I think you hit the nail on the head...I know Grenville is just giving be a bunch of bull!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for getting it right hahaha!!
Interesting pictures grammie; but no more staring at the sun! ;)
ReplyDeleteI have always heard such rings around the sun are called sun dogs, and they usually signify weather changes. The meterologist on WGME described what other commenters have said. If you see one around the sun in the winter it is usually predicting bad weather. And it hardly ever fails! Love the header photo and your profile photo is very nice.
ReplyDeleteHi keith....thanks you ...I will be careful, thanks for your concern my friend!!♥
ReplyDeleteHi Cheryl...how have you been...Someone told me that WGME talked about it, I'm going to go to there web and see what they said ..lets hope it doesn't mean bad weather!! !!!
Thanks!!
Fascinating!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful captures, Grammie!
ReplyDeleteWhen a telescope was first given me, I spent hours looking at the "night sky". One particular full moon night, I recall seeing a similar phenomenon. Still, not as spectacular as the sun in your pictures. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi ..I looked at you blog to see what yours is about...how ironic that I to am bipolar..under control,and not of the violent or anger from..also anixiety and depression!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for you comment..I to have seen similar of the moon ..this was quite amazing!!