They Grey Catbird , yet another character who is a summer resident neighbor!!
He belongs to the genus Dumetella meaning "small thicket"!! Then why didn't they call it the "Thicket Bird"
is my question, because I really don't here the resemblance to a "cat meowing"!!
It is a relative of the Mockingbird and Thrasher, and shares the same ability to copy the sounds of other species,but strings them together to make a repertoire all his own that I can't really make out any particular thing he is copying !! It can last up to 10 minutes, usually defending his territory !!
Secretive, but energetic, reluctant to fly in the open it flits from branch to branch through dense tangles of shrubs, small trees and vines, along forest edges, old fields, and fence lines !!
Back in May I was able to get a quick click, for this one after trying to keep up with him as he moved quickly about!!
On a walk a day in mid June I saw him weaving in and out of the thick rambling wild white rose, along the roadside, but he was not letting me get a chance to get a shot at him!!
So I moved on, and turned my attention to some other birds in the area !!
Suddenly, and as if teasingly he landed right in front of me on the road edge!!
He gave me some good poses, letting me walk ever so close!!
It is mostly grey with a black cap and a reddish under tail !!
Male, and female look the same!!
Not a great shot, but the under tail is somewhat visible , showing the reddish part under his long tail!!
He also tilts up his tail when landing much like the Wren !!
Oh, and I took this one last week right in my backyard alone
the thick tree line and field of my property !!
It seems I had one for a neighbor, and I see him in the yard everyday now!!
He follows me when I walk the tree line, zipping in and through the brush
chattering away , and I believe they are nesting somewhere in there!!
Babies to see if I am lucky! ; )
You took some brill shots of your Catbird there Grace. Although I know they don't look like cats I do remember them making cat type noises. Until that is I threw my boot into the bushes and those pesky cats skedaddled out 'a there pretty quick. Hope you are keeping well and keeping dry and warm - we aren't.
ReplyDeleteWonderful.
ReplyDeleteI do wonder if he's not just got a dirty bum though. Keep shooting and ignore Philistines like me.
HI He is a very handsome bird and one I do not know. I hope you will be able to photo the chicks when they come out. Margaret
ReplyDeleteOh I like catbirds! Haven't seen any around here. He looks like quite a character. Terrific shots!
ReplyDeleteSOOO handsome! i'd love to see this bird in person!
ReplyDeleteGood shooting GG. I am often bemused by some names birds have, but others make complete sense.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful bird and you got some great close-up photos of them.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos ! It feels good to take photos of the birds that seem to play with you when you have your camera doesn't it ? Thanks for sharing . Have a good day and a Happy 4th of July !
ReplyDeleteHi grammie, as I have said before, I am not a real bird person but, since I have joined your blog, I am appreciating birds more and more. I wish we had all those different birds here. They would make everything a lot nicer. Have a Happy Independence Day, John
ReplyDeleteI think this is a sleek looking bird. I have one around my house,but cannot seem to find a nest.He sure gave you some wonderful poses.
ReplyDeleteI love the Catbird too, I hope you get to see the babies! Wonderful photos!
ReplyDeletehow lovely to get such close photos of the catbird; it is delightful Grace; what a thrill for you on the day
ReplyDeleteA great essay on the Grey Catbird Grace...I havent seen one in a while, but they kinda try to stay hidden, zooming into the thickest part of the bush.
ReplyDeleteThanks Adrian.. : )
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret..: )
Thanks Karen ... : )
Thanks Teresa.. : )
Thanks Roy... ; )
Thanks Mick : )
Thanks Elaine... : )
Thanks John... I'm glad I have made you more interested in birds!!
I bet if you get real observant you
may find some different ones!!
Happy 4th to you to!! : )
Thanks Ruth...Hope you can find the nest, I know I would like to see the young!! : )
Thanks Carole....It was : )
Thanks Sondra... Don't expect any novels ; )
Looks like an entertaining little guy! Nice series of shots.
ReplyDeleteSinbad likes the name of this little bird. Happy 4th of July to you Grace.
ReplyDeleteI love catbirds and they really do sound like a cat at times. Trying Googling their voice and maybe you will hear what they mean. Lovely photos of them! I usually have one around in the summer, but have only seen it once so far this year.
ReplyDeleteI love catbirds. They are so chatty! :) Thanks for the kudos on our place. We continue to work hard and try to make it a good home for wildlife...and us too.:)
ReplyDelete