Tuesday, July 23, 2013

~~~Waxwing Surprise~~~


Last evening I was trying to get photo's of the Hummingbird feeding on blossoms of the Hosta plants growing along the front walkway, when I heard the sound of wings and chatter behind me!!
I slowly turned an there 15ft in front of me where Cedar Waxwings that had landed and where swinging away eating insects among the branches of the Weeping Willow tree !!
I had to step back to even get a focus on them , and if you are familiar with the Weeping Willow  you know they have many long branches that nearly touch the ground , not great to get photos, so many ended up in the trash!!
So what's left, with some lightening as some where dark because of the lateness of the evening!!

"Cedar Waxwing "
A smaller bird then the Bohemian Waxwing!!
Love the black mask!!

Real beauties with sleek smooth feathers, yellow bellies, and white under tail with
the yellow tipped tail!

They also have the waxed red tipped feathers on there wings, but these 
where not turning there backs to me!! :  )

I counted 5 birds when they flew, looking like it probably was a family since they seemed to be acting like
young birds wanting to be fed!!

Always a branch when you have the opportunity for a good shot.. grrr!



There are plenty of berries on the Wild Honeysuckle bushes so I will probably see them 
again along the treeline on my property!! 
They are year round residences!!

30 comments:

  1. Love these guys!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very productive evening. Stunning birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of The Bohemian Waxwing, enjoyed the whole series.

    Ottar

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! love these beauties! they pass thru so quickly here in winter - and always on a terribly gray day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are those masks, Grace, or super trendy sun glasses? Either way, your photos are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos of very beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots. I love these birds, have only seen them once many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are beautiful birds, your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos ! Our Waxwings haven't shown up yet to feast on our blossom trees berries hopefully soon they will a peer ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful birds, your lucky day to get some good shots of them. I have never seen one other than in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to have a small flock of waxwings visit you!! Love those masked bandits. That one is really giving you the stink eye in that photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Sleek" they indeed are. A lovely bird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! This bird looks so soft.I always find myself wanting to touch one,of course that's not likely to happen anytime soon. Your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Great photographs of this very beautiful bird. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks you ...Gary : )

    Thanks Adrain... yes in deed! : ))


    Thanks Ottar.. : )


    Thanks Teresa... : )


    Thank you Jean... yes maybe a trend for birds haha : )

    Thanks Mick..: )


    Thanks Karen.. : )


    Thanks Eileen,,, : )

    Thanks Elaine...hope you get some berry picker's ...: )

    Thanks Muffy... : )

    Thanks Sondra... perhaps so hee-hee!! : )


    Thanks John.. : )

    Thanks Ruth... would be nice to see if it is as soft as it feels!! : )

    Thanks Margaret .. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. how special to see these delightful birds up close Grace

    ReplyDelete
  17. You just never know what you're going to find when you take your camera out, and it's usually not what you were expecting! What a treat to have the waxwings pop up behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Grace...How cool is that?...the parents came over to show of their new family and pose for a photo session...and you got some excellent images...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Carole...they are a real treat... : )


    Thanks Elaine... You never know is right.. : )


    Thanks Trevor..I guess that makes me special!... : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Carole...they are a real treat... : )


    Thanks Elaine... You never know is right.. : )


    Thanks Trevor..I guess that makes me special!... : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh i just love these....they are so sleek and smooth!!

    i have seen them once in my yard, got lot's of pictures and they all sucked!!

    these are great captures!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Grace, I saw waxweings all over New England when I wa shter ein June. they are such sweet birds. I'm glad they came to visit you.

    BTW, are you the Grace I see all over eBird for Androscoggin county, ME?

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.S. I think I spelled a few words wrong in my hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Katie...yes that's me I haven't been very diligent lately though!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love cedar waxwings and we've been enjoying hearing a group of them around our property for most of the summer. I even witnessed a baby begging from mama or papa. So sweet! Hoping you are enjoying a great summer Grace. We absolutely adore this season so we are savoring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are really lovely pictures.
    nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are lovely photos Grace. I wish I could see these birds but apart from one sighting in my back yard years ago, and once when I was on holiday several years ago that's been about it. They are such a pretty bird. Sending a hug :) Denise

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! These are fab! How lucky to have one come in so close. I love it when these gorgeous and sleek birds come in our yard. They love our mulberry trees...

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are great birds - I only saw waxwings a few times in the UK - can imagine finding them in my garden - and certainly not along side hummers!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love those birds! Send some to my house! I haven't seen any for a couple of years. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete