Tuesday, July 30, 2013

~~~Clemantis Vine~~~ Part 2


Late and long is what I should have named this post!!
As I pushed the publish button this morning up pop's   "Aw Snap" "an error has occur, "sorry!!

Has anybody every had that happen?
I went back to find the post,and it was gone, the whole darn thing eaten up !!   Grrrr!!

I didn't swear,  I just went back and started over again, and added more photo's so very long indeed!!

 Some of you had questions about the volunteers so there are answers at the end with a couple of shot's that I went out to the garden in my nightgown this morning to get that shows the seed heads!!

Purchased "Sonono Mirasake"





Volunteer




 Purchased.."Nelly Moser" 




Purchased..."Henryi"




Purchased..."Jackman ii"
Outside my bedroom window (14ft high from ground) with sun shining on it!!




Purchased "Jackmanii"
At sunset!!




Volunteer 





Volunteer!!





Purchased "Warsaw Nike"





Volunteer





Question.... what is a volunteer....self seeded with no help from me : )  and offers me a new clematis plant if I want it!!  I dig them up from wherever they are growing, ( you have to be able to ID them as not a weed) stick them in a place to climb ,I don't cut them back, don't fertilize ,that's it!!

Then it is wait to see the first bloom which will not be the same as the mother plant!!  The are usually a different color,shape, petal count, some very small or larger them the original!!

Something I have always called any plant that reseeds and grows in my garden, and I found that another blogger Teresa also calls them that, so I am not so unique after all  ; ) !!

This is what forms after the petals fall !!


A different one at a different stage

One just starting to get a bit of fuzzy seed pods!!


This one is very close to the mature seed !!
By late fall they drop or are blown by the wind and "Wallah" .....volunteers!!! : )

Hope you enjoyed !!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Grace...Yet more stunning images of your flowering Clematis, your garden must have looked beautiful when they were in full flower?

    Thanks for the info on the 'volunteers', very interesting!

    Those seed heads are amazing, a photographic subject all of their own!

    And the skies?...I forgot to mention the skies, another stunning set of images Grace!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Very nice post again! I love your idea of alterning clematis and lovely skies, it's quite nice.
    Thank you for anserwring my question about "volunteers" I wasn't quite sure. Well, in my eyes, the volunteers are as nice as the "true ones", don't you think?
    Your post was just perfect, not too long at all.
    Have a nice evening,
    Louise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i learned to call plants that self-seed volunteers from blogland, actually. :)

    i love the variety you have! in both blooms and skies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love the flowers and of course the clouds. I can't even get a purchased Clematis to grow at my house,so of course no volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Trevor... some bloom into fall so have more to come!! More sky shot's too, it has been a good year strange skies!!
    Glad that answered your question, and yes those seed heads would be a good subject, they are pretty unusual!! ; )


    Thanks Louise... Your so sweet!! "Your welcome on the info"
    I was hoping it was understandable, and yes I agree about the volunteers,it is always a surprise to see how they turn out!!
    Glad you noticed the alternating, I wanted the sky colors to blend with the flower colors!! : )


    Thanks Teresa.. that's to funny!!
    Glad you liked!! : )


    Thanks Ruth..I bet there are things you can grow that I can't : )


    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely enjoyed GG, {;)) brilliant shots of flowers and the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Grace Yet another fantastic post. I love the way you alternate the clematis with the wonderful sky scapes. Henry is my favourite today but I also love the seed heads, you would rally experiment with them photographicly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing; just love these flowers; grow so successfully in your garden Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW, what gorgeous shades of purple!!

    could you volunteer me one?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Roy...Glad you enjoyed ; )


    Thanks Margaret...Henry is good grower with tons of blooms!!
    The seed head are a good subject to photograph!! : )


    Thanks Carole...Aw so kind!! : )


    Thanks Debbie...Yes of course you would love the purple , you purple passion girl ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have always called the ones we didn't plan, volunteers, and sometimes we have gotten more than we wanted or needed. Enjoyed seeing the many variations of clematis as we have none here, and the sky shots were a great accompaniment too.
    Yes, I have had problems with blogger giving an error and then finding the entire draft post had been somehow deleted....grrrrrr so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some beauties there Grace! The one by the bedroom window is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous post with the flowers and sky shots! Love how you arranged them. The Clematis are so beautiful. We just put up some lattice and I may try to start one next to it next year. Volunteers are wonderful....I call them that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful shots of your Clemantis and skies! I get lots of volunteers too, and have called them that for a long time. However, no Clemantis here--I don't think they care for getting so cold in the winter. The volunteers I find popping up the most in various places around the yard are the little violas. I'm always happy to see anything come up that I didn't have to plant this year--well, except for the many weeds that always thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Grace, Lovely to see your part of the world and thanks for visiting mine. I love the clouds of Henryi between the piles of cumulus and the moon. Very nicely done. As to your butterfly you might try - http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/construct-group-page.asp?gr=All

    Or a Maine equivalent.

    Best,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. These pictures are absolutely beautiful. You really outdo yourself at times.

    ReplyDelete