Tuesday, July 16, 2013

~~The Last To Leave~~~

I have ten birdhouse scattered about on my property , and out of them 5 where used this year!!
Four of which where the Tree Swallow's and one the Bluebirds!!

Three of the boxes has fledged 3 babies from each already, but the house in the rose garden got a later start nesting,so they just fledged early on Monday morning except for the little guy in the photo below !!


It was getting late evening, and  I could hear him squawking out over, and over, 
and I didn't see either parent come in to feed 
him, so I watched that box for what seemed like forever,but no show on the parents!!
I was starting to think how could I feed this little guy !!
Don't laugh, but I tried to catch a small moth : )
"He got away "!


Thanks goodness he is finally getting feed!!!



The next time around the parent make a swipe in like she was going to feed him,but
 at the last minute she flew of making a couple of circles around the birdhouse
while all the time making a clicking noise!
She was trying to get him to come out of the nest!!
"He wasn't budging!!"

So back she came with food, but before she gave it to him...


 She turned an gave me the evil eye, as if to say  "See I am not going to let him starve"!!

He was feed fast and furiously right up close to dark!!
It was obvious he was spending the night, not ready to leave the safety of home!!

When I got up Tuesday morning the first thing I did was peer out my bedroom window...there was no little head in the hole with it's mouth wide open squawking away for food!!
He finally did it !!



One from last week when there was a full house!! 

"Linking To Wild Bird Wednesday"

20 comments:

  1. Adorable captures of the swallows, Grace! The babies are so cute! Lucky you to have both the bluebirds and the swallows. Great birds and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, poor little guy was scared. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. swallow babies just make me smile! some of the cutest babies in birdland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW sweet he is, I hope he have a wonderful life!! What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sort of like my kids, had a hard time getting them out of the nest too!!! You have taken wonderful shots of the mama bird feeding her babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's always one you can't get to leave and make it out there on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable and Junior an Sissy are out of this world great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Grace...Great story and images, there's always one kid that gets 'stuck' at home, but now it's gone lets hope it has a safe journey!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely images GG! Your garden is very productive.(;))

    ReplyDelete
  10. so lovely to see the swallows up close like this Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Grace,

    What a nice ending to this story; we are always to worried about them... they know what they are doing.
    You are lucky to have these on your property; we used to have some bird houses too and I miss that, especially since my brother-in-law found some Eastern Bluebirds here, last weekend! I'm thinking of putting some for next year! :)
    Great series, as always very well documented.
    Have a nice evening,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet little thing- he just had to get his gumption up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Eileen!! : )


    Thanks Terry... : )


    Thanks Teresa...I agree!!: )

    Thanks Sondra ... : )


    Thanks Muffy...yes that does
    happen : )!!

    Thank You John... : )


    Thanks Saun...for you comment on both post : )


    Thanks Trevor..Ya you got that right!! : )

    Thank you Roy... Yes it is with long grass growing in the flower beds too!! ; )


    Thanks You Carole.. Real cuties they are : )

    Thanks Louise.. Yes get some houses up again , you might get a Bluebird!! : )


    Hi Terri... Yes some just take the leap, and other not so easy!! : )


    Thanks Andrew.. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I often wonder what it feels like to be the last bird in the nest.

    Cheers and thanks for the link to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Grace! A cute little story that one :-)) Glad it ended happy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a really nice series showing the Tree Swallows! We only see them here in central Florida during migration, so it's wonderful to see the young ones.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess there is always some baby that is a "late bloomer". I'm glad he finally got up the nerve to leave the nest :-) Cute photos!

    ReplyDelete