Friday, July 19, 2013

~~~The White Admiral~~~


Still extremely hot here!!  Fans and air conditioners noises are driving me nut's!

This is what part of today's forecast reads "sunshine will bake the area today,and factoring in the humidity it will feel more like 100 to 105 degrees!!  " Heat advisory in effect"!  Sounds more like steaming instead of baking!!!   People with pools are complaining that the water is to hot to even get some relief, maybe it's boiling then!!!

Well I dashed out early yesterday morning, and was able to find a butterfly who seemed to be enjoying the weather !!  

The White Admiral Butterfly!! 
Male and female look the same, except the female is somewhat larger!!
There wingspan averages approximately  three and a half inches in width!!

They seem to be very a attacked  to the Valerian plant flower heads that have a very sweet pungent odor !!
It is a herb that I had  in the herb garden, but it makes a large tall plant ( 5 feet or more)so I removed it, and  it must have reseed itself and is everywhere around the property now!!
Bee's,and butterflies love it so it is all good!







The think I like, and also distracts me from getting a post done,is looking up facts 
about  the subject of my post!! 
I learned that the WAB , belongs to the family "Nymphalidae"!!
Also known as the "Brush-Footed butterflies"because the forelegs of the adults
are small, and hairy resembling tiny brushes!!
These forelegs are used as sensory organs,not for walking!!




I read to that they like tiny white flower, which is probably why they like this plant, 
but hard for me to photograph  with!! 





Sure hope the weather cools some so I can get out and spend some time looking for more butterflies, without sweating on the camera  : )))

27 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos ! Yes it is steamy here to ! The temps are 82°F with humidity it Feels like 102 °F Nasty !
    Thanks for sharing , Have a good day and stay cool !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty little butterfly and your photos are fantastic Grace. Thank you and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Hope the heat subsides soon. We have been hot too, 102, but don't have the humidity that you have. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty butterflies! Gorgeous images. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace,...you've captured an excellent set of images of this stunning butterfly. It's slightly different to our White Admiral, ours doesn't have those beautiful blue spots!

    Now Grace, I thought that it was only men that sweat and ladies just lightly perspire?

    btw. we've got the heat as well 81° and 40% humidity today...too bloody hot for me!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats some great shots you show Grace, its hot here too, so i go out for my walks in the forest in the evening when its cooler and i and the animals like it.Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they're gorgeous! their underwings are actually more vivid with color than their topwing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Grace. Super images of your White Admiral and definitely worth 'dripping' on the camera.

    Our version also likes to perch on white flowers (often bramble) and I agree it does make it more difficult to capture the detail of the darker flutter but you did good.

    Hot here but a very welcome breeze today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are gorgeous pictures. Stay cool.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Elaine...I guess it is real hot in a lot of places!!
    Stay cool!! : )


    Thanks Denise...you too!! : )


    Thanks Kathryn...next week is supposed to be normal temp's 75 to 80!! : )

    Thanks Lois...: )


    Thank you Trevor...it is a beauty!!
    I don't care how you say it, it is sweat!! Haha... It has no
    gender!! ; )


    Thanks Peter..The evenings aren't even cool enough here to do
    that!! : )


    Thanks Teresa... yes they are!! : )


    Thank you Frank... : )

    Thanks Ruth... : )!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful captures, Grace. I have never seen these beauties in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful images Grace... as Trevor says it's hot over here.
    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely butterfly shots, Grace! I have seen this butterfly and did not know it's name. So I thank your for posting this pretty butterfly and name. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that white admiral Grace, I try to photograph the red admiral and he drives me crazy..zooming every where at the speed of light!
    Very hot here right now too...sweltering!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous set of photos, Grace! We get the White Admiral here too, but I've only seen one this year, fluttering around too rapidly for me to get any hope of a photo. We've finally cooled off here and have gotten some decent rain, which has been a big help with the wildfires.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm quite amazed at the variety of insects - butterflies and damselflies, dragonflies etc., that happen on blog posts lately. I never get to see anything but the common cabbage moth/butterfly and a brownish orange citrus one. Maybe it's the lack of 'flowers' in gardens as many will go for lots of shrubs and foliages - green, over 'flowers' that might attract butterflies. Well done you, I loved your butterfly photographs. Try and keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant images GG. A very nice specimen as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, just fabulous captures!
    We've had the same weather!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WoW-zers, these images are gorgeous!! You must have sweet talked them, they don't spread their wings for just anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous butterfly! This is one that I never see. So you can envy me my Indigo Buntings, and I'll envy you your White Admirals! I have seen very few butterflies so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful shots. There are very few butterflies here this summer so especially enjoyed seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks B.. : )


    Thanks Andrew... : )


    Thank you Eileen.. : )


    Thank you Sondra... Maybe this one was to hot to get away from me : )


    Thanks Elaine...So much heat everywhere : )


    Thanks Carole...I do hope you get to see some : )


    Thank You Roy...Not as good as your, but I try ; )


    Thanks Karen.. : )


    Thanks Debbie... I have power hee-hee ; )


    Thanks Mary...I guess we are square!! : )


    Thanks Susan... Gals you enjoyed!! : )

    Thanks John... : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. The heat broke here Friday with heavy downpours, and yesterday I got photos of a white admiral too. Our valerian attracted a lot of butterflies, but it's finished blooming now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My forelegs are sensory organs too, especially hwen I go out in shorts and stumble upon a patch of nettles. Yes I'm still in shorts (a wondrous sight) and the temperature here is in the 80s so not quite as hot as your part of the world grace. Thunderstorms predicted for us this week - hope you don't get those Grace. Super pictures of the White Admiral by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi grammie, WOW! I really like your butterfly pictures. You sure know how to WOW everyone with your pictures. I really enjoy them a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a pretty butterfly and nice shots of it. But that's far too hot for my taste!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, it is so easy to get sidetracked when posting. I too find myself going in all directions to learn more, Grace. I don't recall seeing that butterfly in oyr yard.

    ReplyDelete