Thursday, June 27, 2013

~~~The Neighborhood Character~~~



The Northern Mockingbird is the character in the neighborhood, also the bully, and the neighborhood watch  bird, with a repertoire of bird songs and call's he mimic's, serenading the neighborhood with daily and often nightly melodies!!

He is a year round resident feeding on insects and berries !!  Not so talkative in Winter,but very loud in early Spring ,and Summer then less through nesting periods in summer, only to begin in the Fall with a different repertoire of songs!!

 He has fooled me many times with his mimicking thinking that some bird was around only to find it was him !
I have watched him chase the Gray Squirrels, nipping at the end of there tails as they high tail it for the woods, and seen him sit on one of the bird houses teasingly while the house resident tried to get him to
leave !

His good deeds on neighborhood watch  make up for some of his silly behavior, as I have watched him many times chase of persistent Crow's who try to raid ground nests, and brush nesting birds nest including his own!!

This is a photo from a cool morning in early May, as he was huddled in the morning sun!! 





He is a medium sized slender bird with a long tail !!
He may not be the most  a colorful bird  on the block 
like the Oriole , or the Grosbeak from my last post, 
but makes up for that with his personality!!

He may be doing his morning exercise or a good stretch here!!
He has a amazing look to his tail when he flies, that I always say 
reminds me of a Whirligig !!
 I am determined to get a shot of him in flight!! 

I think it is a stretch,  awe feels so good!!

Yup! and it gets even better!!!

I am sure many of you  have seen one as it is seem to be in every part of the US, year round!!
There is even some at the local Lowe's Store in  the outdoor gardening depart ... : ) !!

This was supposed to be my WBW post, but due to circumstances beyond my control 
( you don't fool with Mother Nature)
I wasn't able to post it!!
It has been very hot and humid with many severe thunderstorm, and lighten strike  alerts and happenings!!
Internet down, power losses !!
Well anyway , it has cooled down some, and I am still here !!









24 comments:

  1. Yes, it definitely has cooled down today, hasn't it? Wish the sun would shine, too.

    We had a mockingbird at our former house. I miss him. Replacing him here recently is a phoebe who perches on the back deck railing and screams "phoebe, phoebe, phoebe" at 5:00 a.m. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mockingbird is funny, yes, its name, mocking away at you. I love that, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI I love to see this bird because we don't have it here. Great shots. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you got power restored! i do love the mockers. have had a glorious choir going on for the past 2 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace, wonderful post on your mockingbird! I must have a distant relative of your Mocker here! He acts much the same but I love to listen to him! Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic photos and post ! I love your header photo to very pretty ! It is nice to see photos of other creatures we don't see here . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sounds like a fine upstanding member of the community GG. Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got through that lot of stormy weather Grace. Love your mockingbird post and all that heavy morning stretching. So often it is not the super colourful birds that have the sweetest song, like our grey shrike-thrush. Great tail, and I 'd love to see one in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Grace. I'm just wondering how the Mockingbird and our feisty Starlings would fare together .... two high class mimics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those mocking birds are the funniest. Very nice telephoto shots

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely tribute to a bird that can drive you nuts in the wee hours of the morning when you're asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jean..I take it you got rain,not everybody did!! I like you am hoping for some sun, and dry
    air!! : )


    Thank You Bob...We have some good conversation!! ; )



    Thanks Margaret..an I too like seeing your birds there : )


    Thanks Teresa.. Some people hate them sing or "making that racket" is what they say...me I just love him!! : )


    Thanks Eileen...Maybe so : )


    Thanks Elaine...I am surprised that you don't have them since we have pretty much the same birds!!
    Glad you like my header!! : )


    Thank you Roy...Well he is in my book, but not liked by some humans near by, especially when it sits on the top of a telephone pole and sings in the wee hour of the morning! ; )

    Thanks Arija... Like us humans, appearance isn't where it's
    at : )!!
    I'm trying on the flight shot!!


    Thanks Frank ....don't suppose that will happen, but who knows ; )


    Thanks Shaun... yes real comic : ))


    Thanks John... Hahaha yes many feel that way!! : )


    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favorite birds! They are so much fun to watch and live around. I raised one as you recall and he was my pride n joy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. delightful series of the mockingbird Grace. Don't you miss 'power'?! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the action shots.I have had the good fortune to see a Mockingbird,even in my part of the world. It was a special moment when I first saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos! We don't have the Mockingbirds here, and I don't remember seeing one when we've been traveling. I'll have to keep a lookout.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Grace, I love our Mockingbirds, yours too. Don't mind their talent at all. You have some great shots here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm still here also grace but boy the heat has been brutal!!

    awesome shots, they don't visit my yard but i have seen them in my town!!

    i slept for 3 hours after watching addie, don't tell anyone ;))))

    ReplyDelete
  19. We all need neighbours - and if some are characters, thats OK too!

    Nice pictures.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice narrative - I don't think I've seen one. I'm familiar with the southern variety from my years in Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hehe, raining cats and dogs but i don't have any mold in my arm pits ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Every neighborhood needs watchers like the mockingbird. We have had a few hanging around our yard as well. Hope your weather improves, a grace, or at least your Internet connection.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They really are characters! They look so mean and threatening....but I notice other birds don't always take notice of their greedy ways :-) When we drive anywhere, I see them swoop across the road in front of us in "their territory". They really do stake out a spot and guard it constantly.

    ReplyDelete