Saturday, October 30, 2010

"AUTUMN" OR IS IT FALL???

Well because of a blogger friends comment I gave that some thought to why do we call it Fall !!
I haven't done to much looking into that yet but it seems it has nothing to do with the leaves "falling" from the trees or the fact that when we change the time in a week that we say we" fall "back an hour or that I can "fall" backward and crack my head!! : }
One explanation is that the sun "falls" below the equator to spring back in the spring in six months!!
Autumn is a time of harvest, frosty nights, leaves changing there colors and etc.... so maybe he is right....ouch that hurts!!. ; }
Here goes with the color and maybe more tommorrow!!


Oaks trees are showing of now !!


Hackmatack; Tamarack; Larch...
I call them Hackmatack...
look like an evergreen ,but there not,
they change to this lovely
color in fall and all the needles fall off!!

Dryed corn stocks!


"Oaks tree color mass"





Brillant Oak!!


Downy Woodpecker (male)
adds  a little color with
his red head!!










I do love reflection
and this caught my eye!!





The Beech tree giving a glow even
on a cloudy day!!


The crest in the road like a canopy of color.
Just one of  the roads I walk!!

I have more pictures but enough for today and if you not bored ...well I may do some tomorrow
and finish up with my Fall...ooop!!!  I mean "Autumn" pictures  ; }




19 comments:

  1. More lovely autumn scenes GG.
    Yes I bet it hurt {:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grammie, it certainly is a most beautiful time of year.
    The colours are magnificent and of course you live in one of the most beautiful areas for autumnal colour.
    I love oak and beech.....these magnificent trees always put on such a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Roy...Thank you..are you up for more Autumn photos tomorrow!!
    Yah..it did hurt..I sure could use something for the pain! ; }

    Hi Cheryl..Thanks...I do hope I always appreciate the beauty of Maine!! It gets a bad rap when I comes to winter weather especially !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got some spectacular autumn colours there Grammie G, a bit futher on than we are over in the UK, but our wet and wind doesn't help. Keep up the pictures and keep standing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phil..."thank you" ...I will try to do both. : }

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great fall color! I always thought it was fall for the leaves falling. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary...thanks..when those leaves fall when it so drab!
    I probably wouldn't have know either unless it was brought to my attention!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of my colors are quickly turning to that dark oak brown - the leaves are leaving quickly! I love the backlit oaks on the river, very pretty shot. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our leaves are all gone so it is nice to see your color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Nay..Thanks my darling daughter, I learn a lot from you!! : }
    Soon will be bare!!

    Hi Cicero...Our leaves won't be much longer with us either!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Grammie G - glad to see and how beautifully that you were able to resume some of your walking around - great for you and for us too. Thanks for showing some of those lovely NE colors. We enjoyed them too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Folks...yes things are getting better and I am glad that I am able to enjoy and provide enjoyment to my blogger friends !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn or Fall? Fall or Autumn? I think you are right... probably Fall has to do with the leaves falling from the trees! But who really knows? I just like having the option of using one or the other word. Autumn always sounds so British while Fall so American!
    The colors of the countryside in your beautiful Maine are just the best! so happy to be following along! (My dad was born in Maine!)
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ann...I read your profile looks like we have something in common (head injuries) : }
    Thanks for coming by and your comment ...I love living in Maine!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whatever it is, fall or autumn, it's certainly a colourful time of the year. Nature really puts on a great show this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos ! Autumn is a pretty season and the air is so fresh with the smell of bond fires and fireplaces in the air , one of my favorite smells. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ken and Elaine....thanks ..you can go to far wrong with this amount of color for photos!
    I love the smell of smoke from the woodstoves!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi grammie g. I always think of it as fall. Besides the leaves, the nuts fall from the tree, corn ears fall on the stalk, beans fall from the pod, temperatures fall and soon the first snow will fall. All in the same season.
    Watch yourself on that road. There doesn't seem to be much room to get out of the way of traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Steve..thanks for you concern about the road there is not a lot of room in some places...I will be careful!!
    I always called it fall to and what difference does it matter we know that it means cold and snow is next!! ; }

    ReplyDelete