Monday, August 5, 2013

~~~ A Swallowtail, but Which One~~~?????

On Thursday of this past week ,being that it was a lovely sunny day with a good breeze, I would do some wondering  around for something interesting to photograph!!  Nothing caught  my eye of interest, so I decided to wonder down to the bridge at the river to see if there was any water birds, warblers or anything around!!  That was bust!!!

My bare feet on hot pavement where getting pretty toasty at this point so I decided to go home!!( I am in my bare feet most of the spring, summer and fall  around home!! : )

I turned in that direction with a fully extended 300 mm lens open,and a flash of a butterfly so close that without having time to think I just clicked away , and away it went to!!   I  followed it with my eyes , and on foot in the opposite direction from home, and  in the  excitement I forgot about my feet on fire ...now I am further from home!! Yikes !!

Curious to see what butterfly I had gotten photo's of, I  quickly started the download , and grabbed a pan of cold water for my feet and settle in at the computer !!

"Wow I have never seen this butterfly before", and was also surprised that they where even decent enough to make out details,and I had been so close I thought they would be trash!!

I have lived here all my life,and never seen this one,but I knew it was one of the
"Swallowtails" so started there for a ID!!
Do you know that here are 550 spices of the Swallowtails family (Papilionidae)  in the world "yikes"!!!

Well I started with these, the Spicebush, Pipevine, Eastern Black, and Black Swallowtail, for the "possibilities" !!
Now it was which one, and I was counting spots, dots, stripes of them, colors and etc!!
It was the spotted abdomen that I think that made me decide!!
Well I am leaning toward and believing it is a Female Eastern Black Swallowtail!!

 These are it and not cropped amazing I got them at all!! ...


I am open for suggestions!

Hope you see these Carol at Flower Hill Farm
I need you input!! : ) 







No matter what it may be, I sure was excited 
to see one I have never seen before !!



31 comments:

  1. i googled that, and it sure seems to be spot on! beautiful thing with lots of color spots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever it is it's a cracking find. Wear shoes next time you'll be able to stop out longer.
    Most of our butterflies come back to where you first see them so it's only a matter of waiting. No good waiting if it's windy though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You caught some great shots. What a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grace...that sure is a beautiful butterfly, whatever it is? And you did well to capture some great images.

    Now, if you really can't afford any shoes I've got a pair of leaky wellies I could lend you!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Grammie What a wonderful find for you and you were terrific to get those great shots. Yes, put on shoes and you can stay out longer and go further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a Black Swallowtail to me Grammie. A female due to the blue. That first shot is really great. Beautiful creatures. I am working on a Swallowtail post too . . . with one of each. The Black and Eastern Black is pretty much the same . . . the pros seem to call it Black. Check out your queen ann lace and any other carrot family plants for eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Teresa...glad you agree :}}}!!

    Thanks Adrian... She is a beauty!!
    I know I should wear shoes... ; ) I went back to the area the next day about the same time, but I didn't see it!!

    Thanks Susan!! : )


    Thanks Roy.. : )


    Thanks Trevor.. I was pretty tickled with them ; )
    "Leaky wellies huh" ...hmmm I do have some myself that don't
    leak ; )!!
    I like going barefoot : )mostly!!


    Thanks Karen... : )


    Thanks Margaret..I will consider the shoes thing!! : )



    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carol...Your must have been commenting when I was doing replies!!
    So glad you came by, and thanks for your answers!!
    I will do that, I did look near home a bit yesterday, but got chased home by a thundershower, and I did have one shoes!! Had to run : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Swallowtail butterflies, good thing to be a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots whatever she may be! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You lucky ducky to see this wonderful butterfly. I'd be exited too. Hats off to you for being able to nut out the ID as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's a beauty!! I have a Black Swallowtail caterpillar just outside my back door. The poor thing is probably so sick and tire of me sticking a camera in it's face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the butterfly sighting. Finding a new butterfly is exciting, just like a new bird. Lovely photos, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Going Grace you got some very good shots on the spur there! These butterflies normally come to eat my parsley when they are in the caterpillar stage. So do you think this butterfly is lost or they are expanding their territory?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those shots are fantastic for such quick shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. how beautiful, it's amazing sometimes when we think nothing much is happening, that suddenly 'something' pops up and makes your day. Hope you get the ID confirmed and your photos were great considering you were using the big lens at close range and in such a rush too; well done Grace

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done! You got some lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Bob : }


    Thanks Kathryn.. : )


    Thanks Arija.. ya I am a lucky ducky sometimes ; }


    Thanks Karen... Ya I am sure where you are you would have some, don't give him camera shock! ; }


    Thanks Eileen .. : )


    Thanks Sondra...From what I could gather they are become seen more, but butterfly surveys of Maine say that they are a seemingly rare sighting!! : )


    Thanks Ruth..I can move when I need to I guess. : )


    Thanks Carole M. Isn't that the truth : )


    Thanks Elaine ... : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely shots Grace, you have some real beauties here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh these are gorgeous grace, more colorful then i have seen!!

    frame that first one, it is exceptional!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Black Swallowtail sounds right to me! Beautiful shots of it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These people are great- you submit a photo and they identify and if so add to their data base http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are excellent captures. I've never been able to photograph a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wake up! Wake up! Its 0830 in the morning, you haven't updated your blog, the sun is up and it's time to get out birding. I never post pictures of butterflies mainly because I can't seem to get good pictures of them despite many attempts. I guess I'm gonna have to come over and take some lessons off you Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am barefoot all of spring/summer/fall at our home too. As soon as I get in the car after leaving work the first thing I do is take my shoes off. :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey grammie, love the pictures as ususal. It sure brightens my day as it is pouring rain here today. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Grace, just stopping back by to thank you for visiting and leaving such a nice comment on my blog!! Have a wonderful weekend!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful butterfly Grace! I am just wandering why in the first picture there is almost no orange color compared to the others? Is this the same butterfly?
    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise ...Yes it is the same butterfly! I am amazed how so many butterflies are different on the underside, in fact prettier then the top side sometimes!! I will be posting one in a week or so that is so different on the underside it made me very confused one which one it was!!
      Thanks for asking : )

      Delete