Tuesday, August 13, 2013

~~~Listen to the Mockingbird~~~


The  Northern Mockingbird is not the most colorful bird, but he is a colorful character!!
 I do love his backyard  friendliness, and how he just appears so quickly out of nowhere!!
He likes to follow me when I am walking the grounds, popping down now and then to grab a tasty bite to eat!!
It could be that the insect feel the movement, and move thus his chance to snatch it, but I'd rather think he likes to just be friendly!!


Lousy one, but I was trying to get a shot of him in flight !
His wings set of the most amazing feather pattern of gray and white when he flies, but this is all I got this time , but I am going to keep trying !!




"Darn she has that camera again"


At this time of the season they aren't as noisy with his continues repertoire of all the
 birds and other noises he copies!!
Although I do hear one right now!! : )


I took this one on a different occasion when I was concentrating on trying to get a photo 
of  another bird !
The are very territorial, so he landed on the abhor right beside me, 
and the other bird took of 
so I took his photo instead!!

I think they are a wonderful bird!!!
The neighbors aren't always pleased when he decides on a moonlit night 
to sing at 1:00 outside there bedroom window though!!
"Linking to wild bird Wednesday"

60 comments:

  1. i love these guys and gals! and i love hearing them sing all thru the night, sometimes! beautiful feather patterns, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, they do have a beautiful feather pattern and a really joyous song repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grace...That's a special bird, not only does it accompany you around the garden it also serenades you to sleep!! Cracking last image...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos ! The birds here must say the same thing about me when I am out there with my camera lol ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace Lovely photographs especially the last shot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great slide show of Northern Mockingbird, a bird I have not seen here with us.

    Ottar

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some great shots. I have only seen the Mockingbird during the course of one summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely post Grace; enjoy your mockingbird, that is amazing that they continue to sing into the early hours too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole...It is really funny to hear at night : }

      Delete
  9. They are characters, that's for sure. We don't get them up here, but one wandered up this far last summer. My housemate wasn't very impressed with his plain gray and refused to come to the door to listen to him 'sing'. I just shrugged my shoulders and told him he was missing out. At about 3:00 the next morning, there was a little tap, tap, tap at my bedroom door. When I responded, I heard a disgruntled, "You little friend is calling for you and it sounds like it's sitting on my windowsill." I think I slept with a little smirk on my face the rest of the early morning hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice captures- I don't think I have seen them here- saw lots of the southern variety when I lived in Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John... It is a wonder that you haven't seen one with all the hiking, and outdoor activity you do!! : }

      Delete
  11. Lovely Mockingbird, and he has loves the way you walk, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes they do have quite a repertoire which is nice for a little while but they don't know when enough is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to hear them sing, they put on a great show! Wonderful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Post Grace, I love Mockingbirds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sondra..you have had a close encounter with one : }

      Delete
  15. Oh, I'd love to hear them sing at any time. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos and I'd like to have one of those friendly birds in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mick... They are great!! I was just talking to one on the front lawn chasing insects : }

      Delete
  17. Hi Grace, re the last picture....he wanted to tell you...don´t take photos of other birds...just on me :-))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A helpful bird, that makes a change GG. That last shot is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy... At least he likes me, nice to have a companion to walk with!! ; }

      Delete
  20. Oh how I love Mockingbirds!! [They're my state's bird] And they're so territorial, it's fun to watch them attack animals much larger than they are. Also, their songs and acrobatic 'dances' when singing from a place high up in the air. You captured them beautifully!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni...Oh wow I didn't know that he is your state bird!!
      Ya I like best when they chase squirrels and grab on to there
      tails lol!! : }}

      Delete
  21. Grace dear, I will not be around for a while, My husband of 55 years is in palliative care and I am spending most of my time at his bedside in the nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arija... I am so sorry to hear this, I know you have wondered when this day would come!!
      "Hugs" Take care!!
      God bless

      Delete
  22. A beautiful post Grace... it really is a lovely bird and your images are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi grammie, another fun time reading your blog and seeing these beautiful birds and insects, flowers and everything else your photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John...that's so nice of you to say : }

      Delete
  24. A couple of years ago, mockingbirds nested in a tree that was by the side of our front porch and were loudly vocal whenever we wanted to sit in our rockers on the front porch. Thankfully the tree is now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B... lol ya that might get annoying after a while : }

      Delete
  25. Beautiful post. I've seen this guy with my own eyes, but did not get nice shots ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris... so you had a fun vacation here in Maine!! Glad you all got to see the Hummingbird! : }

      Delete
  26. Looks like you found a friend at last Grace! Are you sure that it's not a Nightingale singing through the night like that? I think I'd be telling the neighbours to stop being such party poopers not wanting to hear the old Mockingbird singing through the night. Anyway you got some brilliant shots (not the first one) so keep up the good work my old mucker.

    Lancashire Phil xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil... I thought you was my friend lol!! ; }

      Delete
  27. i rarely see mockingbirds here in my yard, but they are characters!! they sing such a beautiful song!!

    and you got some gorgeous pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always, fabulous photographs! the little bird looking beautiful and cute..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great photos Grace, lovely little bird. To answer your question I don't know that song but now I am intrigued and will go on a search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise... lol got you going on that didn't I ! ; )

      Delete