I may be just under the wire getting this post for WBW in on time!!
Days's just seen to run into each other when you are retired !!
So before the summer passes : ) I thought I would show you a couple of my neighborhood spring and summer residences, who are always quite friendly,and really brighten things up around here!!
The Rose Breasted Grosbeak !!
A handsome dapper looking fellow!!
He also gets quite upset when the feeder is empty!!
Showing his acrobatic side !!
I snapped this one late evening last night as he was shaking of
after having had his evening splash in the bird bath!!
The female just slips into the neighborhood in her muted colors, but I like her makings!!
The florescent orange Baltimore Oriole !
You can't miss him !!
They love to dine on a fresh orange until they get in the family way,
then I only see a flash of orange now and then, and hear the
male singing from the very top of a tree near by!!
They also enjoy some grape jelly which I was a little skeptical about until I did a informative look in to !!
It has to be made with real sugar!
When it rained, and water it down to a juice an they still liked it I just watered it down each time I
put some out!!
They also would come right up and look in the sliding glass door when it was empty!
I would say "do you want something" ..they would fly up on the tree branch, and before I could get my
back turned they where at it!!
I believe this is a female, very much the same as the male , but her color's are much lighter !!
Well there you have it just a few more of my best neighbors!!
They may come begging , but the best neighbors you can have!!
Oh what delightful shots! I love the rose breasted grosbeak. We had a pair at our feeders in the spring.
ReplyDeleteMy oranges are shriveling up, no baltimore orioles yet this year :(
You have lovely color for summer!
ReplyDeleteYou're very colourful today Grace. Love the Grosbeaks and especially the muted female - all the better for keeping a low profile.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds! I love the bright colours.
ReplyDeleteAvery colorful post with beautiful birds! Wonderful captures,Grace?
ReplyDeleteThe colours on that Baltimore Oriole are amazing. From Findlay
ReplyDeleteGreat colours!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteWe didn't see a single oriole last year, and this year we were away during "oriole return time," so I don't know if any stopped in this area or not. We used to see a lot of rosé-breasted grosbeaks and evening grosbeaks at our old house, about two miles from here. At this house, though, we seldom, if ever, see them. Our former house was surrounded by pine trees, and I suspect that had a lot to do with it.
ReplyDeleteOu seem to have an ideal location for bird-watching, Grace.
Beautiful bright birds - I would love to have neighbors like that! Great photos.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous shots!
ReplyDeleteHi Grace. What a joy to co-habit with such colourful neighbours.
ReplyDeleteyou have some very bright coloured birds around you Grace, glad you liked my Wren photo too.
ReplyDeletepeter
oh that handsome grosbeak is quite the little dare devil!!
ReplyDeletei like that combination in my men ;)))
Great pictures.I sure miss these birds when they don't show up at the feeders any more.Thanks for the idea of watering down the grape jelly.I will try to remember for next year.
ReplyDeleteNeither of these birds are regular visitors to my yard although they have stopped by on their way to someplace else...probably your Place!!! Awesome color in these photos...Dont work too hard!!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos Grace, these are birds I don't get at my feeders. I love yours.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a great day,
Denise
An English Girl Rambles
Your Grosbeak and Oriole photos are beautiful! Wow! How do you keep from getting ants in the grape jelly??? At my house they would find it in a few seconds. I don't get Grosbeaks this late in the summer....just a brief time in early spring, if I'm lucky. They are so pretty. Lucky you!
ReplyDeleteAt least when they come round for a coffee, they don't talk you into the ground. Yes, grape jelly would be too 'strong' undiluted. Here, we are advised to dilute apple juice for honeyeaters but are discouraged to feed them as there is ample food all year round for them.
ReplyDeleteI like your neighbours very much indeed. I have always longed to see Baltimore orioles for myself not just in pictures.
Thanks Karen.. : )
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa.. : )
Thanks Phil./I am always colorful ; )
Thank you Gunilla.. : )
Thanks Eileen.. : )
Thanks Findlay... Yes they are! : )
Thanks Gary.. : )
Thank You Jean ... There is a lot of woods in back of here and pines too ! That might be the key!! : )
Thanks Mick ....They both sing lovely too!! : )
Thanks Mama Zen... : )
Thanks you Frank .. I like that word co-habit : )
Thanks Peter.. : )
Thanks Debbie...haha ya those are good features ; )
Thanks you Ruth...There songs are so lovely and I miss that too when the start nesting !! : )
Thanks Sondra.. haha maybe where they are !! : )
Thank so much Denise... : )
Thanks Mary... The jelly doesn't last long enough for the ant's to find it ; )
Thanks Arija... Very true no coffee no talking my ear off..just pleasant songs!! : )
Beautiful! We don't get these two here so I enjoyed seeing your photos. We do get the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly you had in your last post, and I've seen a few this last week, but haven't managed to get any decent shots yet.
ReplyDeleteWhat a pair of stunning birds Grace. They'd brighten up the dullest of days.
ReplyDeleteAmazing colors on these fine birds, haven't seen these before. Enjoyed the whole series.
ReplyDeleteOttar
Hi Grace Beautiful coloured birds you have as neighbours. We don;t have them here so it is always nice to see these and great shots. Margaret
ReplyDeleteWonderful looking birds - some of these American finches don't really look real!
ReplyDeleteThere is no doubt in my mind that the gull on the post was planning a sneak attack on my kids ice-creams!
Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Wow wonderful post and these colorful birds are awesome... Hope I will see them this summer ;-)
ReplyDeleteI like that splash of color to the grosbeak.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Neighbors you have.
ReplyDeleteOh WOW but that Oriole is orange!
ReplyDeleteStunning birds Grace I can't believe how colourful they are.
ReplyDeleteWonderful, beautiful birds shared Grace! Happy weekend your way~
ReplyDeleteHi grammie, I really can't wait to get to the library just to see your photos. You have a very good knack for taking the right photos. Thanks for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace...Wow, such lovely and colorful birds you have around you!
ReplyDeleteGrace - hi! Your bird friends look so happy and well cared for. :) Glad you are enjoying summer. It's our favorite time of year!
ReplyDeleteGrace - hi! Your bird friends look so happy and well cared for. :) Glad you are enjoying summer. It's our favorite time of year!
ReplyDeleteI would be very excited to get such great photos of a Rose Breasted Grosbeak!
ReplyDeleteSpectacular photos! It is amazing to see them so close. We see them when they arrive back here, but only in the top of a distant tree. Then they're quite secretive while nesting.
ReplyDeleteI'm so envious, not that I don't like my own backyard birds.
ReplyDelete