I was getting a little envious of a fellow UK. blogger who was posting all his gorgeous butterfly
photos ; )...I hadn't even seen the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly yet this year!!
Usual when the Lilacs are in full bloom they have hatched , and are sucking up the sweet nectar!
The Lilacs blossom died of, and no Swallowtails!!
The last weekend in May I was at a local Greenhouse and landscaping place,and there was Swallowtails everywhere !! I mentioned it the lady working there , and she said that they had just started appearing that morning !!
When I got home I walked around the grounds, and sure enough they where flitting about
everywhere "Yeah"!!!
So here are some of the photo's I have had time to get, and get posted !
A little PS I am having on then off internet grief .....so I want to thank all who commented on my WBW post!!
photos ; )...I hadn't even seen the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly yet this year!!
Usual when the Lilacs are in full bloom they have hatched , and are sucking up the sweet nectar!
The Lilacs blossom died of, and no Swallowtails!!
The last weekend in May I was at a local Greenhouse and landscaping place,and there was Swallowtails everywhere !! I mentioned it the lady working there , and she said that they had just started appearing that morning !!
When I got home I walked around the grounds, and sure enough they where flitting about
everywhere "Yeah"!!!
So here are some of the photo's I have had time to get, and get posted !
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
I think this one has had a close call with a bird already by
the looks of the chunk out of it's tail!!
This is what they where feeding heavy on!!
I call it wild Honeysuckle!!
It grows all along the tree line to my property!!
In fall it is covered with red berries that the birds love!!
These have a wingspan at it's widest point of approx. 4 to 5 inches!!
This is another of there favorites growing on the property line, the Autumn Olive bush!!
It also has small berries in the fall that the birds love !!
very pretty little guy
ReplyDeleteglad you got to see and photograph them. love that honeysuckle!
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely butterfly. You captured it well. Margaret
ReplyDeleteA stunning Butterfly, always fantastic to see special specie such as these
ReplyDeleteThey are beautiful butterflies. Lovely blossoms and photos. Happy weekend to you!
ReplyDeleteNow I can be envious of both you and Roy! Beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Terry.. : )
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa.. : )
Thank you so much Margaret .. : )
Thanks Dave...hopefully I will be seeing some others here soon!! : )
Thanks Eileen...Aren't they though... : )
Thanks so much Kathryn... How did you ever guess hahaha!!! ; )
just love the photos - the swallowtails look so grand and 'fresh', colours strong. All the flowers happening too; what a treat for you.
ReplyDeleteSuper images GG.
ReplyDeleteYou are lucky to have these close by.
They are beautiful. We normally have them here too. Unfortunately not quite yet!!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteNow if you walked around 'the grounds' Grace, you must a a sizeable garden. How big a patch do you look after? Unfortunately we don't have swallowtails here so it was doubly nice to see yours.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace...That's a stunner of a butterfly, and you're lucky enough to have them in your back yard!! You got some lovely images, it's a shame that it was a little damaged though!...[;o)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful butterfly, what else can I say. Grace, you're a genius.
ReplyDeleteThank so much Carole....they are very showy in the garden!! : )
ReplyDeleteThank you Roy...I see then all the time now,they are very busy, because they only live about a month!! : )
Thanks Arija...I don't know how to tell you in anyway, but our system which would be 3 acres!!
I'll have to figure that out for you : ) Maybe I will post some photo's sometime!!
Thanks Trevor...Ya poor thing got nipped, but plenty around right now, so I'm trying for a better specimen ; )
Thanks Bob..and your a
sweetheart ; ) !!
A few years ago, I spent the better part of the spring and summer photographing the varieties of butterflies in and around our VA home, so can appreciate all the colorful fun you have been having, Grace. I know there are slight variations in the male and female coloring a of the eastern swallowtail, one has more blue I believe...sorry forgot which is which.
ReplyDeleteThey are stunning butterflies, I'd really like to see one. From Findlay
ReplyDeleteLovely images of a real beauty Grace...
ReplyDeleteOh wow, gorgeous photos Grace!
ReplyDeleteDenise
An English Girl Rambles
honeysuckle is the best!! it grows so wildly, requires no care and smells so beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteit's a no wonder that the butterflies are attracted to it!!
you got some great close-ups providing beautiful details!!
What great shots of the butterfly, I've never had any success with that.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteI too, love the butterflies! And like you, I didn't see them as early this year. They appeared about 1 to 2 weeks ago.
Honeysuckle is great for them as well as for the hummingbirds. Picture #3 is not honeysuckle right? Nuber 4 is unless number 3 is white honeysuckle???
Do you know what it is?
A great series; hope you will see butterflies all summer long!
Take care, Louise :)
The butterfly is beautiful. The photos are lovely with those honeysuckle flowers.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I haven't seen many butterflies yet. Of course I don't have a beautiful garden like you do :-) I will have to get out looking for some somewhere.
ReplyDeleteThanks B.. : )
ReplyDeleteThanks Findlay...You will have to pay a visit to the states : )
Thanks Denise : )
Thanks Debbie .. : ) they do love that honeysuckle!!
Thanks Al.. : )
Thanks Louise... They are very white when they first bloom and turn that yellowish color in a day or two!! So #3 is honeysuckle and so is #4!! : )
Thanks Phioxee.. : )
Thanks Mary...I bet you have some lovely flower to : )
I believe I saw a swallowtail as I drove in the driveway today ... but it has been so rainy they must have been hidden undercover.
ReplyDelete