I really have to get moving on with some of these photos, because as I look at some of these I took only not even 2 weeks ago the change that has come about is amazing!!
We have had rain only once since I took these photo's,and sunny days, temp's at the 70 degree mark make Spring colors pop quickly!! Birds are returning to the area and some stopping in on there way to summer breeding places!!
These where taken at a naturalized spring feed pond about a half mile from here !! It is on a friends property, and lucky me I get to go on the property !! The water is very cold just about all summer because of the underground spring, and the wildlife love it here!!
We have had rain only once since I took these photo's,and sunny days, temp's at the 70 degree mark make Spring colors pop quickly!! Birds are returning to the area and some stopping in on there way to summer breeding places!!
These where taken at a naturalized spring feed pond about a half mile from here !! It is on a friends property, and lucky me I get to go on the property !! The water is very cold just about all summer because of the underground spring, and the wildlife love it here!!
The pond!!
You guessed that didn't you ; )!!
Painted Turtles...at Spring-fest!!
These cute ducks came swimming from behind some reeds, wow
I have never seen these before!!
They finally got close enough to get a little better.. at least crop-able shot !!
When I got home of course had to find out what they where!! Ring Necked Duck??
What I see no ring on the neck?? A small diving duck,that can be seen during migration in
small lakes and ponds ! {Male on right of course..the showy one} ; )
Well the description says hard to see from a distance, but there is a brown ring around its neck!!
It also goes on to say that is has been called the Ring billed duck...
now that sounds more reasonable to me !! Yeah!! a first for me, and I submitted that baby
on my eBird observation right quick! ; )
Another view of the pond!!( at lot bigger then it appears!!)
While duck, and turtle watching a familiar sound filled the air!!
Canadian Geese heading in to land at the pond!!
The approach!!
Flap's down!!
Just like at the airport,one landing right after the other! ; )
They weren't impressed with the other occupant, and looked like they where snubbing him!!
All is good now!
Down to business!!
That's where I am heading, to get down to business!! Flower bed to be attended to!!

so glad you get to visit that pond! looks like a fabulous place! i like the ring-necks. usually get to see one or two here in the winter as they stop on by. :)
ReplyDeleteThey look like Tufted Duck to me.
ReplyDeleteBut I suspect you are correct.
Thanks Teresa...My first time to see then...the pond is worth a stop from time to time!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Adrian...The Tufted Duck is the Ring neck's cousin across the pond : ) ! They look very much alike except the Tufted has a ponytail lol!!
In our country, they are called Ring-billed Ducks, good choice. Lovely birds. Love the Canada Geese.
ReplyDeleteI often wondered why don't they call them ring-billed duck? The turtles are cute. The pond is a great place for birding. Maybe you will be able to go back for another outing. Great shots, Grace! Have a happy week!
ReplyDeletebeautiful photos!!! Love the landings!! A few days ago we had loons falling out of the sky, because of the ice/sleet on their wings. A team of folks were out rescuing them. As they cannot take off from land. They need the water to take off. So the volunteers moved them from land to water and sent them on their way.
ReplyDeleteHI Grace!! ITS a lovely pond, I would love to be floating there myself with those Ring Necks...Congrats on seeing a new duck...DONT you love when that happens?
ReplyDeleteSo much to do in spring and the birds are only here for a short time. I have a hard tine deciding between gardens and cameras. :) Love your pictures.
ReplyDeleteSome gorgeous wildlife photos, its hard to choose my favourite but I think the swimming turtle probably takes the prize. It's lovely the way winter is on the run now, isn't it!
ReplyDeleteNo better way to spend some time is at a pond. Always so much to see. Loved the series of geese landing and all the cute ducks!!
ReplyDeleteHappy planting!!
Good to get a new Duck sighting in the book and some great flight shots GG.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great series of wildlife photos.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, if you've got a lot of slides to scan, it's much cheaper to do it yourself, but it takes a lot of time. I bought an Epson V300 scanner, which did a good enough job for me and the 1,000+ slides and 1,500+ prints I scanned. It scanned 4 slides at once, or several photos (you just placed them on the tray and it figured out where each photo was and made its own file for each one).
Great set of photos Grace, love the action shots on the geese landing. Exciting to find a new duck on your pond. Always fun to see something new. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThanks Bob...That does make more sense : )
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen...: )
Thanks Muffy...that's an interesting thing about the Loons ..glad they got help! : )
Thanks Sondra..you funny girl, you'd be out there quacking away with the ducks : )
Thanks Ruth... : )
Thanks Jenny for stopping by and commenting!! : )
Thanks Debbie...: )
Thanks Roy...Finding new birds is a thrill..yeah ..and I keep working at the flight shots!!
Thanks Al...and for the info : )
Thanks Denise...: )
I love watching our diving ducks Grace... and yours are so similar.
ReplyDeleteLovely pics and it's always nice to read about your patch.
Hugs Drew xx
Who would want to tend to flower beds if there was the chance to get out and photograph these, Grace?
ReplyDeleteI like to watch Canadian geese land- they are so loud and boisterous! Nice pics.
ReplyDeleteThe pond looks like a great place to watch for the wildlife. I especially like the turtle swimming and the series of the Canada Geese coming in to land.
ReplyDeleteAction shots now Grace !!!
ReplyDeleteSeems the weather has picked all around, about time, nice pics , hope all are well and the eyes are ok now. Neil
Good shots of the geese landing! A wonderful place to visit.
ReplyDeleteGrace, good for you for eBirding! Yeah! I'm so happy you got to see and record a new species! BTW, what river do you live near? Is it the Androscoggin?
ReplyDeleteBTW, I saw Adrian's comment when I scrolled back up and Tufted Duck would be a very rare find worthy of the Rare Bird Alert!
ReplyDelete