Today it is raining for the first time in at least 3 weeks or more, so I am inside, and trying to get a few post together ,since I can't go out an play!! Yes there are a ton of things to do inside : )) but...
On the 21 day of April on a walk at the river I saw my first sighting of the Palm Warbler of the spring!!
The Palm Warbler is a migrating bird,who winters in the southern US and the Caribbean, and breeds in summer in the far northern parts of the new England states and Canada!!
Bogs and watery areas are where you most likely will see then,which is why I always see then when they return by the river, and in the thick brush which make it a devil of a time trying to get a clear shot....or at least for me anyway!! They don't sit still for long either wagging there tail,and flitting about is there habit!!
Thus my excuse for the not great photos of it ; ) !!
On the 21 day of April on a walk at the river I saw my first sighting of the Palm Warbler of the spring!!
The Palm Warbler is a migrating bird,who winters in the southern US and the Caribbean, and breeds in summer in the far northern parts of the new England states and Canada!!
Bogs and watery areas are where you most likely will see then,which is why I always see then when they return by the river, and in the thick brush which make it a devil of a time trying to get a clear shot....or at least for me anyway!! They don't sit still for long either wagging there tail,and flitting about is there habit!!
Thus my excuse for the not great photos of it ; ) !!
Palm Warbler !!
Smaller bird, not quite 5 inches long!!
Another sight at that time is the Pussy willow just starting to go into flower!!
The chest is a lovely yellow with a streaked pattern!!
His cap is a deep reddish rusty color, which helps a lot with the ID over some other
of the warblers that have a lot of yellow!!
Maple tree flowering at that time!!
A year round resident
the "Goldfinch" in his blinding summer yellow!!
You can't miss him!!
Singing his heart out, happy to have survived another Maine winter ; ) !!
love your sweet bright goldfinch! and i like the russet cap on the palm warbler. so cute!
ReplyDeleteIt's always good to see birds that I will never get to see.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute little bird the palm warbler is. I don't think I've ever seen one. The rain is welcomed, but we need even more, don't we?
ReplyDeleteTwo lovely birds in their full breeding coats plus buds breaking into flower ... a definite sign of Spring.
ReplyDeleteIt's been fairly dry over here for a while but the temperatures have dropped and there is rain in the air again. Hope you get out to play again soon Grace.
The difference between your Goldfinch and ours, it is quite amount. The Palm Warblers are superb.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos ! It started out fogy and rainy here this morning after a week or two of summer like weather then it cleared up later in the morning and has been wonderful since today ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !
ReplyDeleteYour birds are always lovely to see Grace... I love your Goldfinch, such a bright yellow bird.
ReplyDeleteWell its always good to get a sighting of migrating bird just to say you have seen it GG. The yellow on those Goldfinch is unbelievable.
ReplyDeleteOh the beauty of spring! I love all these pictures.
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa..: )
ReplyDeleteThanks Adrian...that's what I like about blogging,getting to see whats in other countries!! : )
Thanks Jean...I have been loving our gorgeous weather, yes we need rain,but just let it come an get it over with ; ) Did you hear that loud earth shaking clap of thunder at about 5:30 tonight eek : )
Thanks Bob..yes big differences : )
Thanks Andrew...We love them..: )
Thanks Roy...Yes, and I have some I shot from the hip : ) only to figure out what they are ! : )
Thanks Ruth...It is a lovely time for sure!! : )
Ooop's Thanks Frank...Didn't mean to skip over you !! It is a refreshing time of the year!!
ReplyDeleteI will be transplanting in the rain, so I'll be out!! : )
Hi Grace, Lovely post with birds that I never see other than in your blog ! Have a nice weekend !
ReplyDeleteLove that little Palm Warbler! Good shots of the pussy willows too! We are up to about 60 today so lots of melting going on. We spent some time on the deck today just soaking up that warm sunshine.
ReplyDeleteNice to see signs of spring and we do need the rain.
ReplyDeleteThese are great photos Grace. The first and last time I ever saw a Palm Warbler was on vacation. We were in the Everglades several years ago and I identified this little bird later. For the first time in a long time I have Goldfinches at our thistle feeder but I can't get a good photo of them. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteLove your warbler, what great colors. Goldfinches are always good to see and photograph. Very nice post GRACE.
ReplyDeleteGee if it wasn't for bad weather days I would also not be indoors, Grace. Your goldfinch are much brighter than ours.
ReplyDeleteLovley shots of these birds. It is great to be able to see birds from other countries that I probably will never see in person
ReplyDeleteHi Grace :-) Sweet little Palm Warbler. Your Goldfinches are completely different to ours.
ReplyDeleteAnother gorgeous warbler! I love goldfinches and their cheerful color in the summer is like having flowers flying around.
ReplyDeleteLove your warbler, goldfinches and pussy willows! Ah...Spring! Bring it on!
ReplyDeleteHI Grace, I havent seem a Palm Warbler in a long time...Great to see it here and I think you got some super shots of it..The GOLD finch just left here...I dont miss the siskins...they were costing me a fortune!!
ReplyDelete