Over the last month the blue birds have been here constantly looking over the houses. It is so nice to step out onto the deck or walk around the property and here them singing!! That flash of brillant blue spread as they seem to drop of the end of a branch to snatch up a bug or this tiny little white butterfly...which seems to be there favorite!!
This is one of the houses they seemed to be attracted to .....and it got inspected daily !!!
This is the other house that got a daily inspection..... this was there home last year and it seems that they are moving back into the old homestead!!!!
After days of trips with pine needles and other nesting material to the house it seemed they where ready to start a family .....this concerned me since it was still pretty early....during the week of April 12th .... and nights can get pretty cold but I continued to keep an eye on them!!!
The Mrs. haning out in there favorite tree near there home!!!
Monday of this week I realized that I hadn't seen much of them at all.....it had been a busy weekend so I might of not noticed !!! I got a little concerned so I checked out the box only to find one lonely little egg and no bluebirds around!! Well I was sad to thing that they had left............then yesterday (wed.) morning I was drinking my coffee staring out the window ........a group of swallows was circling the house about 3 times wanting to go in ......about the 4th time out came Mrs. bluebirds head ...I not sure what kind of a warning she gave them .....but I was sure happy to see that she obviously is sitting ....and I have seen the Mr. but he is being less conspicious !!
This morning I noticed Mrs. on the tree near by so I carefully went to the box ....tap...tap...on the side nobody home!!! Opened the latch and tryed to get a picture ....but not easy ....got these...blurry but there are now 4 eggs in there !!!! So excited!!!
Updates in the future?? Hope So!!
Glad to hear that there wasn't a problem and that everything is going good now. Sometimes female birds seek out calcium sources to supplement what their bodies use to produce egg shells. Maybe that's what she was off looking for.
ReplyDeleteHow cool.. That's very nice to be able to get egg in your backyard!!
ReplyDeleteGood news to learn that the box has not been deserted. We had a similar thoughts about Blue Tits nesting in the garden here but have seen them in and out of he box today.
ReplyDeleteGood series! I'm glad she has laid eggs and seems to be staying with them. Will tune in for more posts!
ReplyDelete