It is beginning to look like it is really going to happen "Spring that is" although the calendars say's that it began about 6 weeks ago it sure doesn't feel it temperature wise !! We had a few days of above normal temps. that was just a tease, but it is time to fling open the windows instead of having to put one the heat !!!
It is a good thing the sun is providing some good warmth or we wouldn't be seeing anything pertaining to Spring!!
I haven't given my camera a rest, we have been out doing or walks, but doing a lot of shot's of birds that are good enough to help me with ID's or any questionably sightings for eBird. but I have some that show the progress that is happening here over the last 6 weeks or so!!
It is a good thing the sun is providing some good warmth or we wouldn't be seeing anything pertaining to Spring!!
I haven't given my camera a rest, we have been out doing or walks, but doing a lot of shot's of birds that are good enough to help me with ID's or any questionably sightings for eBird. but I have some that show the progress that is happening here over the last 6 weeks or so!!
March 20
The Pussy-willows are always a favorite sign for me !
March 20
Although there are a few Robin's that stay the winter, this one is a returnee!!
Just look at how fat and colorful he is !!
March 28
Large flocks of Red Winged Blackbirds, and Grackles landing in the fields and
singing from the tree tops!!
End of March looking pretty bleak !!
To my surprise a Belted Kingfisher was being very vocal at the river,
announcing his return,which seemed a bit early !
April 3 ...if you look into the tree area there is
still snow in there!!
April 3
I saw my first Turkey Vulture scoping out the landscape for something
dead and smelly to eat!!
April 5 I got my first sighting of the Killdeer!
I knew he was here because you could here the high pitch call,for which it is named
kill-deer kill-deer!!
April 6 my first Blue Heron sighting for this year!!
April 8 a proof shot of the Northern Shrike
that I had taken seen hunting !!
When I submitted the sighting to eBird the Maine organizer shot me an email questioning
it because it is supposedly rare to see one this late in the season !!
Quite satisfying to have proof!!
He is a raptor about the size of the American Robin, but don't let his size
fool you !! He can catch a small bird and rip it apart with that strong beak!
I have seen one do it!!
Hope to have more color for my next post !!
Hi Grace. Always a good sign when the birds start reappearing ... turning the corner into Spring and hopefully warmer weather to come for you at long last.
ReplyDeleteI can understand your glee at being able to support your sighting of the Shrike with photo evidence.
Thanks Frank.. it is good to be right sometimes : )
DeleteIt is a bit variable here as well..........Have fun.
ReplyDeleteThanks Adrian.... : )
DeleteKevin Mannix dared to announce on this morning's news that spring is finally here. I hope he's right! Love that shot of the Robin. I'm keeping an eye out for hummers and orioles.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jean.. How dare he,they never know anything, but I hope he is right!! : )
Deleteawesome to see the shrike! i've never seen one! loved your fence photo, too! and your adorable robin.
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa.. I thought of you and your "good fences" when I put that on!! : )
DeleteSome beautiful images of your local birds Grace. What a joy to have them so near to your home.
ReplyDeleteI love the robin......
Glad the weather has warmed up for you. We are expecting frost tonight and it has been a really cold day :)
Enjoy your weekend.
Thanks Cheryl......Wow I hope your gardens will be ok!! : )
DeleteI have been doing the same thing , taking photos of birds as they return . It is a slow process this spring for sure and cooler then it should be here to . Thanks for sharing . Wonderful photos ! Have a good weekend !
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine... I guess I am not alone in this weather thing !!
DeleteYou have a good one to!! : )
Great pictures. The Shrike is fantastic.I also think the Kingfisher picture is great.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ruth... The Kingfisher was a lucky shot... I dodging electrical wires as he flew away!! : )
DeleteGrammie, great variety of birds. I love the Kingfisher and the Shrike.. Nice post, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen!! : )
DeleteWow...great bird shots! Love the kingfisher! Still chilly here, too, but suppose to shoot up to the 80's in the next week.
ReplyDeleteThese are excellent grace. Some fantastic birds here.
ReplyDeleteHope the weather starts improving soon. The sun is out here lol
Thanks Mary... : )
DeleteGreat pictures, fun to see new species!
ReplyDeleteOttar
Thanks Ottar... : )
DeleteLovely shots Gracelove the kingfisher, and the shrike!! Good job on that hope it warms on up for you!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sondra... : )
DeleteIt has been a slow process. I look for wildflowers on our hikes but have found few
ReplyDeleteThanks John... things are sure popping now though!! : )
DeleteYou and your camera have been busy, Grace, and it was great to see the results here. Now that winter weather is gone, it is fun to go exploring for myself as well. Most of our feeders were left I filled for awhile to avoid the invasions of starlings and grackles that would eat everything faster than I could refill, so bird watching has been limited here. But we have had lots of returning visitors and the feeders will be refilled this week.
ReplyDeleteThanks B. : )
DeleteGrace, how wonderful to see all these birds! I am so glad you got the shot of the shrike! I am so glad that you eBird! I hope to see you soon before the crazy month of June starts for me!
ReplyDeleteHi grammie, love the photos as usual. Love reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks John... :)
DeleteWhat great pictures, Grace!! The Belted Kingfisher is incredible. I've been trying for years to get a decent shot of one NOT on a telephone wire!! And how lucky you were able to document your shrike sighting!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen... : )
DeleteNice to see you are no better off than we are Grace, the weather here is all over the place and yesterday must be the only time at this time of year I did not bother going out.
ReplyDeleteIt can only get better, hope the eyes are ok.
Thanks Neil... Yes eyes are okay still have to put on glass to do a lot of tasks!!
DeleteLets hope our weather improves !! : )
Wow! is there no end to your talents GG. The Kingfisher flight shot is great and the Killdeer perfect.
ReplyDeleteToo good for me Mrs.{:))
Thanks you Roy.... I could start listing my talents, but not enough room here LOL ; ) !!
DeleteYour to kind, but I will except the compliments!!
Your photo's are always great... and it is not Mrs. : ) MS. or Miss ; ) is correct!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete