Why do I never get a good shot of lifers !! Excited and can't function,or perhaps I am lucky to get one at all good or bad!!
Well in the last month I have gained two new birds to my list!! "So excited" and even more to submit them to my ebird list!!
I have never seen an Owl during the day as many have, and NO I didn't see one in the day time : ( !!
It was 12:30 am when I was heading of to bed, I flipped on the back yard light to see if it was snowing yet, and there on a branch of the tree right of the deck, sat a Barred Owl !!
Wow am I dreaming, it is gentle snowing, a sitting Owl , a Skunk and a Raccoon eating some bread I had thrown out for the Crows...it was sort of a "magical scene"!!
I tried to snap out of it, got my camera, and tried to see if I could get a shot of it!!
Well that was a flop!!
The next night 7:30 there he was in the same spot again!! So I tried to get some shots .... do you know how fast they can swivel there heads, back and forth... "lightening speed"!!
Well those where a lousy flop!! So here is what I got for proof positive of the Barred Owl for eBird!!
Now my second lifer was a real surprise, I stepped of into a partially snow covered field, and right of I saw 4 birds pecking at some seeds on a dried plant!! When I put the camera to my face they where startled , so I just rattled of shots hoping for something!!
Excited to be home and downloading, I was "huh", what are they, and more lousy flops!!
"Oh yeah"... lucky to get to see Horned Larks ,2 males and 2 females!!
Well in the last month I have gained two new birds to my list!! "So excited" and even more to submit them to my ebird list!!
I have never seen an Owl during the day as many have, and NO I didn't see one in the day time : ( !!
It was 12:30 am when I was heading of to bed, I flipped on the back yard light to see if it was snowing yet, and there on a branch of the tree right of the deck, sat a Barred Owl !!
Wow am I dreaming, it is gentle snowing, a sitting Owl , a Skunk and a Raccoon eating some bread I had thrown out for the Crows...it was sort of a "magical scene"!!
I tried to snap out of it, got my camera, and tried to see if I could get a shot of it!!
Well that was a flop!!
The next night 7:30 there he was in the same spot again!! So I tried to get some shots .... do you know how fast they can swivel there heads, back and forth... "lightening speed"!!
Well those where a lousy flop!! So here is what I got for proof positive of the Barred Owl for eBird!!
"Barred Owl"
The best of the night shots !!
"Barred Owl"
Best of the early evening shot's!!
Now my second lifer was a real surprise, I stepped of into a partially snow covered field, and right of I saw 4 birds pecking at some seeds on a dried plant!! When I put the camera to my face they where startled , so I just rattled of shots hoping for something!!
Excited to be home and downloading, I was "huh", what are they, and more lousy flops!!
"Oh yeah"... lucky to get to see Horned Larks ,2 males and 2 females!!
The male here, has a bright yellow throat, not real visible here, and horn like feather tuft's
that rise higher than this!!
"Female" doesn't have the dark bar markings!!
"Male"
"Female"!!
I am looking to find more lifers!!
It is truly amazing what is around use, we just need to look!!
I seem to have been missing you Grace; was wondering about you ... You sound like me, get excited at a special moment/bird and can't quite get the shot to hold on to. My, what a lovely scene you saw, it would've been magical especially to see that owl sitting out there. We get so much buzz from simple things like this really --- and as you say, we just need to take the time to look out. Did you see The Big Year; if you haven't, be sure you pick the DVD up, you will love it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Carole... I miss you to..hoping this nice spring weather we are having will lift my sluggish mood!! Seeing some lifers has helped!!
DeleteNo I didn't , but will check it out!!
how awesome! the larks are so cool - i'd love to see them. i do love the barreds!
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa.. : )
DeleteAbsolutely fabulous Grace....good or bad shots, what the heck, they are still beautiful birds and you are so fortunate to have seen them.
ReplyDeleteBTW owls and larks are both on my favourites list.....would have been a dream for me.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Cheryl ... hope you get to see both!! : )
DeleteVery cool lifers. I love owls and the Horned Larks are beautiful birds. Congrats on your lifers! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThanks So much Eileen... : )
DeleteWith nature shots you sometimes just get what she gives you
ReplyDeleteThanks John... Ya for sure : )
DeleteWell Grace, you are lucky to have seen this owl in your own back yard! I know the feeling when something unusual like this happens, the camera suddenly seems unworkable!
ReplyDeleteI've never witness this beautiful owl but this winter, I was lucky and saw a Snowy Owl! Your second lifer is also a bird I would love to see, I find them very special with their horn like feathers.
Hope you will have the chance to see more new birds! Have a great week, Louise
Thanks so much Louise... Lucky you to see a Snowy , I sure tried to see one!! : )
DeleteYEAH!!! that is so fun to find something new...what a thrill --how exciting! I hear owls more than see them but the ones I have seen it has been daytime sightings funny enough!! Good for you girl.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sondra.... You make a great cheering follower : ) !!
ReplyDeleteWay to go! When it comes to a 'Lifer' any picture is better than none.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ruth : )
DeleteHaven't seen either of these species and glad you shared with us too, Grace.
ReplyDeleteThanks B.. :)
DeleteI think they are wonderful shots!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jan : )
DeleteHi Grace these are all wonderful birds to see... well done it's always a good feeling to see a new bird.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been blogging much for the last couple of months as my Mum broke her hip and Mandy's Dad had a heart attack then a quintuple bypass so a lot going on . Alls well now though xx
Thanks Andrew : )
DeleteCongrats on your Lifers! You have become quite the eBirder! I am so proud of you! Well done!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Katie...I really enjoy it!!
DeleteWell done, Grace! Always exciting to see a new bird.
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine... : )
DeleteThat was a good shot to get the Owl GG. It is exciting when you get something different that you have never got before. I see you still have a lot of that white stuff around. Is ever going to give up.
ReplyDeleteThanks Roy...I has been really nice, I even was out walking on Sunday when it was 65f in a short sleeved shirt and no snow!! Then came Tuesday morning when the heavy rain over night turned into 2 inches of snow with a temp of 30f !! All gone but still real chilly!!
DeleteHi Grace .... Congrats on the two lifers and well done on getting those pics to confirm your sightings.
ReplyDeleteBTW I can't remember when I saw my last lifer! Maybe something will turn up when we go on holiday next month.
hehehe....LOVE the title!! it must be the excitement!!
ReplyDeleteHi grammie, I have to say, you live in a fascinating place to capture such a diverse number of wildlife. You are a very lucky woman. I thank you for sharing it with everyone.
ReplyDeleteYAY!!! I am so excited for you!
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I'm glad you got to see these even if you didn't get the photos you would like to have. I know how you feel. I hate it when I see something wonderful and can't get the shot. Night conditions are so awful (at least for people like me who depend on autofocus and don't really know my camera)
ReplyDeleteGrace, I got your message...at least one of them. I will try to call soon! I was in New York when I got the message and barely got home before grandkids came and now I am on the road again. I hope to call you next week, okay?
ReplyDelete