Saturday, October 5, 2013

~~~~Not A Monarch~~~~



I had been watching for the appearance of the Monarch butterfly, and not seeing any at all!!
I have also been checking on the milkweed for eggs, and some chrysalis, but not seen any !!

In late September I was so happy to see that flash of orange and black feeding on the Sedum in the garden, and also able to get photo's , until I downloaded them and realized it was the Viceroy butterfly!

So easily mistaking because of the coloration, but there is a couple of differences in the pattern !!
The one below is the Viceroy!!


Viceroy butterfly!!



This is a Monarch from last Fall's photo's!!
Notice that the half circle, black band on the lower section of the wings of the Viceroy 
is not part of the Monarch pattern!! 
That is a quick and easy way to tell the difference,
unless you have a camera in your hand, and 
just thinking butterfly!!


The Viceroy lays it's eggs on the tips of leaves of the Poplars or Willows which the 
caterpillar feeds on when hatched !! 


It is also a smaller butterfly then the Monarch!!










Both the Viceroy and Monarch are poisonous which protects them from predators !!

Unfortunately there is concern for both of these butterflies, with this years
count being considerably low,especially for the Monarch, due in most because of the 
destruction of there natural habitat, and food supplies!!!

  

33 comments:

  1. Lovely photos . I hope the species is able to survive as this tear for us there far and few between . Thanks for sharing ! Have a good weekend .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine... Very disappointing year , hope it improves!! : )

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos GG, I can see how easy it is to confuse the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy.... Unless real close you won't know the difference!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the lesson in butterfly identification. Your pictures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful captures of these gorgeous butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whatever the type; your photos are fabulous Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace, they are virtual doppelgangers.
    Great shots of a beautiful but confusing butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good job you pointed out the difference Grace they are so similar at a glance... beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Grace...Super set of images of two beautiful butterflies, thanks for pointing out the differences.

    Unfortunately habitat loss is an all too common, and increasing, problem for all wildlife these days, lets hope that these beauties make a good recovery and are about for many more years...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Trevor.... It is a sad situation for wildlife in general!! Hoping to see more of the Monarch summer!! : }

      Delete
  9. Two stunning butterflies Grace.
    I wonder who is responsible for their habitat destruction? Surely not humans again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith... You know the answer to that ; )
      Hug

      Delete
  10. It is a beautiful butterfly and your photos are lovely, Grace! happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post Grace. I love both species, they are so similar... I often make the mistake of mixing them. Beautiful pictures!
    Have a nice Sunday night,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Grace,
    I always feel so sad when I read that a species in decline is due mainly to man.
    I remember seeing both species when I visited the USA, and was in awe of their beauty.
    They always remind me of Tiffany glass lampshades.............
    We can make a difference. I remember a few years ago the Large Blue was extinct in the UK, now it is back. After careful breeding and a release programme it is doing well on the South Downs.
    Little people have big voices, we just have to take courage and get pushing those in power to do something about the situation.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photos of butterflies...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I thought I'd better pay you a visit since you seem to have deserted your best buddy in recent times. Glad I did as you just gave me some interesting and useful information about those 2 flutterbies. At first glance and to my untrained eye I thought maybe Grace had made a booboo but then I slowed down and yes Grace was spot on. Now you have me thinking - those "Monarchs" I saw in Fuerteventura were they Monarchs or Viceroys?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures of this colorful butterfly on the beautiful flowers.

    Ottar

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Good comparison of the two. The difference in size is one of the things I usually notice first before I see the extra line on the wings. I hate to think that the Monarch habitat is being destroyed and their numbers going down. That is so sad.

    ReplyDelete