From early summer into early October I have observed this Meadowhawk I say with a ? to which one!!
I can't imagine being the one who studies to ID these complicated flying objects!!!
My first ID for the one below was a male Eastern Cherry faced Meadowhawk!, but population of this species in the New England states (which includes me) it is called "Janes Meadowhawk", it differing in structure in "Minor"ways and has a tan face, and dark veined wings...hmmm!
Then it goes on to say some authors call them all Cherry faced although the eastern does not have a red face!! Well now how about that!!
When the words although, usually and the " BIG"words like THORAX ,HAMULES, or SUBGENITAL plates come into play ...Okay I am done!!!
Oh forgot there is also one called the Ruby Meadowhawk!! Lovely, I am so not going there!!!!
Well this is the flying object in question????
I think all I need to know is that I enjoyed his company for about 4 months
in an around the garden!!
He even accompanied me on the riding mower, riding on my knee
while I cut the grass!! : )
Even does a good disguise on the deep pink of the Sedum plant!!
I miss these little guy whom I have not seen since mid October!!
my, my....what big "eyes" you have!! perhaps they migrate and will be back next year!!
ReplyDeletei should google that but i'm too tired ;)
Thanks Debbie... I think they do migrate. so don't tire yourself lol!!
Deleteso very pretty! what a nice 'pet' you have there. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa... : )
DeleteWhat a lovely color! Wonderful image.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lois ... : )
DeleteThanks Lois.... : )
DeleteI've come to realize lately that knowing the name of what I am looking at, be it bird, insect or plant doesn't make me feel any better in my appreciation of the moment so I don't bother. Nice dragonfly!
ReplyDeleteThanks John...my curiosity drives me crazy though!! : )
Deletewhatever it proves to be, it is charming Grace; fabulous photos
ReplyDeleteThanks Carole ... : )
DeleteHi Great shots of the little guy.
ReplyDeleteI am still seeing them- also saw a bee working some clover yesterday- soon to end, I fear
ReplyDeleteThanks John... Soon!! : )
DeleteBeautiful Dragonfly, and they will be around next year.
ReplyDeleteIt's a beauty Grace... lovely images.
ReplyDeleteThanks Andrew... : )
DeleteBeautiful dragonfly photos!
ReplyDeleteGreetings, RW & SK
Thanks so much .. : )
DeleteI am like you on the ID's of these and some other critters!! I do good to spot them and enjoy like you say.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sondra... : )
DeleteThere are others who might call this an autumn meadow hawk, although I at first thought it could be a red darter, but that seems incorrect too. In any event, it was a colorful yard companion, Grace.
ReplyDeleteThanks B.... The two you mentioned don't have the dark markings on the sides of the tail!!
DeleteYou got some great shots of these little guys! We have them here too, maybe not the "exact" one, but Cherry-faced Meadowhawks. That really is a close enough ID. We had a bunch of them this year.
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine... Ya there where a lot here too!! I think the ID is right!! : )
DeleteI can never capture dragon flies! Good job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Reena... : )
DeleteMeadowhawks are very difficult to ID, as you've stated. Usually, they must be handled and very carefully scrutinized to tell them apart. I'm pretty satisfied just referring to them as Meadowhawks and leaving it at that. Great shots!
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen... lol... ya good idea!!
Delete