During a walk around the yard last week (with the camera of course you never know) I could hear the sound of the "Yellow-bellied Sap Sucker", a member of the woodpecker family!!
I finally located him in the Sugar Maple tree on the front lawn !
He was into one of his may stashes of holes he has drilled to feed on!!
Although they feed on some insects the sap of,especially the sugar maple is there main food source!!
The color of the leave where so brilliant and the sun so bright it was hard to get good photo's
I don't use Photoshop, or the like so I toned them down some so as not to blind you from the leaves!! : )
Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday
I finally located him in the Sugar Maple tree on the front lawn !
He was into one of his may stashes of holes he has drilled to feed on!!
Although they feed on some insects the sap of,especially the sugar maple is there main food source!!
The color of the leave where so brilliant and the sun so bright it was hard to get good photo's
I don't use Photoshop, or the like so I toned them down some so as not to blind you from the leaves!! : )
I am sure this is a juvenile, because it doesn't have a
full bright red feathers on its head yet !!
Male or female not sure??
Here he is opening one of the capped over holes probably made earlier this summer!!
There are a series of holes that have capped over he just opens some up and has lunch!!
The Sap Sucker is the only one of the woodpecker family
that we have here that migrates in winter!!
This is a somewhat blurry, but I wanted you to see where he had been into one !!
In the upper right you can see foamy bubbles where it had just sucked sap out!
When it dries over it will look like the bottom half looks with white and brown sealed caps!!
In a post a week or so ago I had the Mourning Cloak butterfly ,who also
feeds on sap only too!
He was giving the Sap Sucker some grief, and trying to get into the stash too
but the Sap Sucker kept making a move toward the butterfly!!
I tried to get a shot of this, but with no success!!
Finally the butterfly sat behind this branch
waiting for an opportunity !!
Fascinating the world of nature, and how it all works together!!
It certainly is fascinating Grace.
ReplyDeleteA clever and beautiful bird.
Thanks Keith... I should have added they can be noisy to : ) !!
DeleteHow cool to see one this close!
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen... Ya sure is!! : )
DeleteBeautiful Sapsucker Grace.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bob... : )
DeleteNice shots ! Yes the world of nature is full of beauty and wonder and that's why I love it so ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good week !
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine.... : )
DeleteReally interesting information, Grace. I love the top photo.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jean .... : )
Deletevery cool you got some shots of him! i see them only rarely and even then, tough to get photos!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa... : )
DeleteLovely bird, and yes its creating the effects that contribute to the wonderful world of nature
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave,,.. : )
DeleteHI Grace I love to see Woodpeacker shots.
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret.. : )
DeleteI think the bright leaves in the background add to the beauty of these pictures.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ruth.... they sure where bright !! : )
DeleteI Really enjoyed this post. The bird is beautiful but to see the sap running out of the holes and the butterfly wanting sap as well - that's very special!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mick... So glad you enjoyed!! : )
DeleteIt is fascinating grace!! I enjoyed this series and the gorgeous background colors!! Are you that smart?? ;) or did you use google??
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for the kind and oh so sweet comment that you left for me today!! I always enjoy when you stop by!!
Thanks Debbie... no that sugar maple in the front yard is usually pretty bright ...glad you enjoyed : )
Deletewonderful to see this stunning bird in your garden Grace, and also admire the way nature works with the interaction birds and butterflies etc.
ReplyDeleteThanks Carole... Things that some people miss seeing huh!! : )
DeleteWhat an interesting post Grace and loved the photos. Clever little things aren't they?
ReplyDeleteThanks Denise... : )
DeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteThe Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker is my favorite woodpecker. I love the patters in their feathers and the nice colors also. I think I never succeded in taking a nice picture of one of them. Your's are great especially with the beautiful colors in the background!
You are right, there is always something to see in nature!
Have a great rest of the week,
Louise :)
Thanks So much Louise... They do have great markings!! : )
DeleteLove that first photo. Interesting post as we don't get the sapsuckers this far North.
ReplyDeleteIf man could only mesh as harmoniously as nature does. Stunning photos.
ReplyDeleteLovely photos here...
ReplyDeleteThank You for your comment and coming by my blog!!
DeleteFascinating post! Just full of information with great photos to illustrate the text. Well done!! This summer, I was hiking in the woods and came across a hummingbird. All the spring ephemerals had gone by, so there weren't any more flowers in the forest, so I couldn't imagine what it was doing there. Further along the trail, we came across a sapsucker lunching on a yellow birch. As I sat and watched, didn't that little hummer come along and grab a tasty snack of sap, too!! That was a first for me!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen... appreciated !! I have also seen the Hummingbird do that, and at first I wonder what it was doing but put it together!! : )
DeleteIt's a little beauty... thanks for the info Grace.
ReplyDeleteHugs Drew xx
Thanks Andrew... my pleasure !!
Deleteits been a while since Ive seen one of these guys! I bet that sap is sweet!!!! Love your great photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sondra... Sweet bird!! : )
DeleteSplendid looking bird - and the background colours are just autumn!
ReplyDeleteThe red wattles in my bird do get a little bigger - but I know what you mean about small details being used to name the bird.
Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne
Lovely images, Grace! I love the Sapsucker and the Mourning Clock. Great sighting. Have a happy week ahead!
ReplyDeleteLearn something new from reading blogs. I had never seen a sap sucker up close before, Grace. Thank for the photos and info.
ReplyDeleteI just adore sapsuckers! What a great visitor to your place. :)
ReplyDeleteHi grammie, I have a couple of woodpeckers that come around but, seem to like pecking at my cabin.
ReplyDeleteLove the sapsucker!
ReplyDelete