"Still in denial " I have had no frost right in my little area, flowers in my gardens and on the deck are still blooming, Clouded Sulphur butterflies are flitting about in the fields, dragon flies about, and the past two days it has been in the mid to high 70's (shorts and bare feet weather I love it)
Ya I know I am in for a big surprise!! The calendar says Fall, the Hummingbird has not been seen since last Monday, leaves are starting to turn into yellows and reds , birds are migrating , some people are dressed like they are expecting snow any minute. days are shorter and nights are cooler *sigh !!
This post is the first butterfly I see in the spring, and I see then as late as this past week, but not in the last couple of days!!
The Mourning Cloak winters over usually in the area it is,protecting itself under loose bark on trees our wherever it can tuck itself in from the cold, and goes into some sort of hibernation so it doesn't freeze!! ( Maybe a few sips of anti-freeze : )) HaHa
They can life span of up to 10 months!!
In early spring it emerges. mates, the female lay's the eggs and the adults dies!
By late summer there is the new hatch !!
Ya I know I am in for a big surprise!! The calendar says Fall, the Hummingbird has not been seen since last Monday, leaves are starting to turn into yellows and reds , birds are migrating , some people are dressed like they are expecting snow any minute. days are shorter and nights are cooler *sigh !!
This post is the first butterfly I see in the spring, and I see then as late as this past week, but not in the last couple of days!!
The Mourning Cloak winters over usually in the area it is,protecting itself under loose bark on trees our wherever it can tuck itself in from the cold, and goes into some sort of hibernation so it doesn't freeze!! ( Maybe a few sips of anti-freeze : )) HaHa
They can life span of up to 10 months!!
In early spring it emerges. mates, the female lay's the eggs and the adults dies!
By late summer there is the new hatch !!
The Mourning Cloak a real beauty!!
They feed mainly on tree sap, thus the reason they may be seen as early as March
on a warm Spring day !
The trees start to warm, and the sap runs!!
I usually see them basking in the sun around the house !!
Butterflies are cold blooded (like some people I know : )
thus the reason for the basking to get energy!
They fly best on sunny days
In disguise sometimes hard to spot with the under colors blending
well especially on bark!!
I tried to find the reasoning for the name , but it seems to be mostly about the idea of the
of attire worn in years past,that of the black brown cloak in mourning of death!!
In England it's common name is the
Camberwell Beauty (correct me if I am wrong)!!
I came cross this what I would call a poem, but was written as a song by an
Professor of English !
It was written over 10 year ago and was recorded in the early 2000's
as a Ballard !!
You can stop reading here, but I am going to include it anyway : )
I do like some of the early poets work, and this reads like it could have been in that era!!
It also made me giggle a bit!!
One fair morning late in June
The sun shone on the daisies bright
When a messenger of of sorrow deep
Came into my garden bright
Came into my garden bright
Wings of deepest velvet black
Bound with gold and sapphires rare
A butterfly, a Mourning Cloak
Like one a wealthy widow'd ware
He promised me a golden ring
But he gave it to a rich man's child
He craved the ease wealth would bring
Above a love both true and wild
So I called him to our trysting place
"Since there is no hope, lets kiss and part"
He took me in a sweet embrace
And he felt a penknife in his heart
He looked at me with fading eyes
I left him as he left me
The dawn next morning brought the news
That he'd been set upon by thief's
Oh butterfly, why do you haunt ?
Know you the secret in my breast?
I pierced his heart as he pierced mine
I slew the one I loved the best!
Lovely shots of a super butterfly GG.
ReplyDeleteThanks Roy... they sure are !!
DeleteIt is a Camberwell Beauty though i have never seen one.
ReplyDeleteGrand it is.
Thanks Adrian... : )
DeleteWhat a beauty. I've never seen one, but it's now on my bucket list!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jean... You could see them on the side of your house or steps etc like I do, probably not until spring now!!
Deletei love these beauties. i only get to see them a few times a year if i'm lucky.
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa.. : )
DeleteWe have had very little of any breed of butterfly this year . Last year we had so many different ones and I was out getting snap happy with them . Lovely photos and post . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day 1
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine... We have had very few to!! : )
DeleteLovely butterfly and your images are wonderful. I enjoyed the poem! Thanks for sharing. We are having some nice weather too. I hope it last longer. Enjoy your Sunday and week ahead!
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen... Glad you liked the poem and post! :))
DeleteThe MCs are lovely and we get a good number of them here.
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine...Yes your in one of there most popular areas for sighting them!! : )
Deletebeautiful butterflies as you merge into fall ... and here is springing into spring
ReplyDeleteThanks Carole... Wish we where springing into spring here ... : )
DeleteBeautiful shots! We have them here too--amazing to me that they can survive the cold winter.
ReplyDeleteThanks Elaine.. Yes they seem to be in the colder climates don't they!! : )
DeleteStunning shots of this beautiful butterfly.
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret... : )
DeleteFantastic photos Grace! Beautiful butterflies. I always look forward to seeing them each year.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Denise... : )
DeleteIsn't it great- tomorrow will be October and, like you, no frost, flowers, insects, and still some veggies in the garden.
ReplyDeleteHi Grace,
ReplyDeleteI'm not 100% sure but I think this is the one I've seen early spring this year. I'm too tired right now to check in my spring posts but I will. Very interesting informations about this beautiful butterfly and great pictures, the last one is gorgeous.
You are describing the same weather we are having since last week, beautiful!
Have a nice week!
Louise
Hi Grace, What a beautiful butterfly? And what a coincidence? I spent the weekend at a birthday party in London ( it was recovery day yesterday!!!) close to Camberwell the area where this butterfly got it's (British) name when it was first seen there in 1748! It's a rare vagrant to this country from continental Europe so I guess I'll be extremely lucky to ever see one, I'll keep looking...lol!...[;o)
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures of this colorful butterfly, enjoyed the whole series.
ReplyDeleteOttar
I seek sunshine just like the mourning cloak. :) We're really working hard this year to embrace each season and not long for summer... Anyways, thinking of you as the seasons transition and wishing you well!
ReplyDeleteLovely...I never see those at any time of the year. I'm all for the sunshine, but am enjoying the slightly cooler temperatures.
ReplyDeleteFantastic shots- I did not know they could survive that long! I've been seeing folks around here wearing longer sleeves and pants and I am still waiting for that fall temp to arrive. I do not call 85 degrees with 92% humidity a fall day..LOL!
ReplyDelete