Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Bird's In A Blizzard" (part one Bluebirds)

Honestly one big concern I had when the blizzard of last Friday (8th) started was how my Bluebirds where going to make it through the storm!!
They are a tough little group of seven that are rarities (or at least eBird say's they are) for wintering in my area !!  Knowing that the mealy-worms would blow away in the open pan I have been feeding them in, I came up with a quick solution!!   I had a empty cat litter container I had kept, so with a wash up and a sharp knife,a bungee cord to tie it to the railing we where in business!!

As you can see it didn't take long for them to take to it, even if it had 
something to do with a Cat ; }

With the cutout flipped up to make a awning it gave them some cover from the snow!!
"So cute"!!

It worked for the day!!


Saturday morning was a whole different situation,when I found that I could just
 open the door enough to throw out a handful for them  ..the wind
was wild and had blown snow against the door!!

Poor little guys where probably thinking "we should have gone south"!! 





I love these guys ....I step out every morning and say where are my babies,shake the bag 
of  mealy worms, and they come, but most mornings they are waiting for me !! 


If you all have wondered what happened to me , it had nothing to do with the storm, no power or internet!!

I have just one thing to say about my disappearances ....don't screw up changing a password!!!
It took an act of congress proving that I am not a "robot"!!  A long wait to be able to log in again : (

23 comments:

  1. Very ingenious solution, Grace, and the blue birds certainly thought so too - in numbers. I know these little ones are in this area, but I have never seen a single one so glad you provide such great close-ups...and mealy worms too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, bless you 1) for feeding those sweet bluebirds in the nasty weather and 2) for suffering thru a password crisis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea for a feeder. Love the bluebirds! We had snow today, but it melted real quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have those Bluebirds well trained. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace,
    I love this story, it's beautiful. When you love birds you'd do anything for them. And you did something and I think it was a great idea. To see them under that plastic bottle is something!
    You were there for them and I think they will always remember that.
    Beautiful story! Have a great day, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and I love the photos. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea Grace. They are such sweet little birds, I love the photo where they are peeping out from their shelter at the snow. We had more snow here on Wednesday but it turned to rain during the night. Sorry to read of your password woes...what a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea to protect the bluebirds! Glad you weathered the storm okay, and sorry about your password nightmare. I have had similar events happen and know how frustrating it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Bluebirds know they are treated to lots of yummies at your place. Neat idea giving them a place to eat and have cover. They are beautiful birds! Loved the post and the photos. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Grace, What an ingenious and thoughtful idea and it looks like your 'babies' appreciated it too! Glad to hear that you all managed to weather the storm.

    For some time now I've been pondering about adding a summerhouse/gazebo to my garden. Now, given your proven design and architectural skills I'm wondering if it might be possible for you to put in a quote for the project, nothing too fancy mind, I've already made a start and saved a couple of cardboard boxes!!...just one more thing, I won't need to use a password to get in!!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever idea indeed. Glad to see you posting again- I was wondering about you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those birds are so lucky to have you loving them! Great job Grace. :) So glad you made it through just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Beatrice...: )

    Thanks Teresa...made it through both : )

    Thanks Mary...: )

    Thanks Ruth...No they have me trained lol : )

    Thank You Louise...They give back so much pleasure!! : )

    Thanks Teri... : )

    Thank Jan..aren't they sweet : )
    Password thing was nuts!!


    Thanks Elaine : )

    Thanks Eileen : )

    Thanks Trevor... Sure..I will put together a plan for the gazebo ..I have a few more of those cat litter containers, and enough odds and ends of junk in the garage and my woodworking shop that I'm sure I could throw something
    together ; ) lol!!


    Thanks John....Ya still around : ), been wanting to email you, but never get to it!!


    Thanks J&S...got to take care of those feathered friends! : )


    ReplyDelete
  14. You ain't no Robot GG.
    Lovely images and a super little invention of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gracie and apologies the bunch of roses didn’t reach you but it seems the delivery man couldn’t get to your house because of a “wall of snow” across your driveway. So those Valentines roses just ended up in the back of the truck after costing me all of 3 dollars. I’m sorry about your password nightmare but it’s just something that happens as we get old and absent minded - try to forget about it. I thought maybe I hadn’t heard from you due to the snowstorm - the big areas of blue over the map of North America which Sky kept showing us, all the time when we had a couple of inches here too and the whole country seemed to come to a standstill. I like your bird feeder, it’s very inventive and maybe you should patent it with the addition of a heating system to keep those lovely Bluebirds from getting too cold. By the way I can do something about the cat - give me a call. From your old (and crazy) buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea with that shelter Grace. They certainly approved. Lovely shot of them peering out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are just so clever!! I'm going to store that idea away in my little brain! Thanks for sharing! I haven't seen a bluebird in years. They are oh, so sweet. Love your header!! Great capture! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea Grace! You should patent it and make yourself a fortune! Hopefully, with the help that you are giving them, these little chaps will make it through the harsher weather.
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an ingenious idea. Poor little bluebirds in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are so cute...That was a great IDEA....we have a family that stays here yr round they keep us entertained at the bird bath...glad you got your password thing straight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is such a cleaver idea. Those birds are so cute, I can see why you want to keep them around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Grace, those Maine Bluebirds are some tough little buggers. What a terrific series photos. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful Yankee Ingenuity there Grace! too bad it didn't help with the password! LOL! I'm so glad you are back in business!

    ReplyDelete