Tuesday, February 5, 2013

~~The Suet Argument~~~

Yesterday a  argument between two Hairy Woodpeckers became very vocal, and got my attention, over who was going to hog the suet feeder!

This is the Male Hairy Woodpecker, the winner of the argument !!
They are very similar to the Downy Woodpecker, but are a larger bird
averaging  9-13 inches where as the Downy is 6-8 inches long!!


This is the Female Hairy Woodpecker !!
She still has a bit of suet on her long chisel like bill ,which is one way to tell
them from the Downy Woodpecker which has a shorter daintier bill!! 

"Hey " I was here first .....
She is sitting on the rail of the deck, something I have never seen one 
do before, and looking like her feet are a little out of place  , 
since they always seem to be in a vertical position !!

Look at those feet , they need something to cling to  : )
She got here change at the suet, but she was willing to share with a Nuthatch!

42 comments:

  1. they sure are cute. again, would be a great link up to wild bird wednesday today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really nice looking woodpeckers. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  3. (you should add a note that you are linking to Wild Bird Wednesday and include the link to Stewart's blog if you can. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos ! We have a few of both breeds here and they often argue over the three suet's I have for them ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. (when you filled in the blanks, you must have filled in your actual name instead of grammie g or whatever you'd like. you can go back and delete it by clicking on the 'x' below your entry and try again if you like.)

    i don't have your email address or i'd be emailing you back. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice serie of photos of this cute bird!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice captures- you certainly get variety in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute birds, and a cute story to go with it!!! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant close-up shots Grace. I guess you got those by sitting on your porch again eh? Who needs a vacation when they have all those fabulous birds at the back door huh? Keep snapping and have fun Grace, I'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely photos Grace. I love the female, sooo sweet :-) You have some wonderful close views of them, how did you get so close, do you have a very long lens?

    I loved that little Black-eyed Junco on the last post too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They definitely look more graceful sitting on a branch. Those feet look like they don't know which direction to go .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos. Bird arguments are such fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What sweet little birds. :) Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible close ups of the Hairy Woodpeckers Grammie! They sure are cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Hairy! We don't see that many in my area, so I get a bit excited when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots of the Hairy, Grace! I see the Downy at my feeders more than the Hairy. Cool visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is a cute thing but I agree her feet are in a very awkward position....I guess she's like all women having to wait her turn..hahahaha

    Really great shots....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here we have a female feeding on the suet everyday...she has to share with chickadees, nuthatches and even a cardinal was having a go at it this morning. Excellent shots of your birdies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post - I am very jealous of people who have woodpeckers in their gardens - but I suppose you feel the same way about parrots!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  21. they're simply adorable; beautiful photographs Grace

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Teresa...: )

    Thanks Findlay : )


    Thanks Elaine : )

    Thanks Gary : )


    Thanks HanHB : )


    Thank you John.. : )


    Thanks You Muffy : )


    Thanks Phil.yup I did! : )


    Thanks Jan..yes I do, shoot hand held right through the windows : ) I have a 75-300 lens ..I am Canon girls ; )


    Thanks Ruth.. they do look out of place : )


    Thanks Mick for coming by for WBW
    Yes great entertainment: )


    Thanks Lois : )


    Thanks Larry...They are wonderful to watch! : )

    Thanks Angie : )


    Thanks Steve...They are quite striking I can see why you
    would : )


    Thank you Eileen...: )


    Thank You Nancy...yup your
    right : )


    Thanks you so much Sondra..Keep then fed : )!!


    Thanks so much Stewart for hosting and coming by my WBW post..ya we all have our envies : )


    Thank you Carol..: )


    Thank you Roy..I've tried to pick up some pointers from a friend ; )

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. High Grace...Super post and cracking images. The female looks a little bewildered sitting on that hand rail, a bit like a fish out of water!...or should that be a bird out of a tree?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Trevor...Ya one of the other haha ; )

    ReplyDelete
  26. so cute, these are really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am definitely following Grammie's blog. I have been chasing woodpeckers for the last couple of weeks.

    These are great shots. I love the little guys.

    I haven't posted shots of mine yet. I am hoping to get some better shots than I have.

    They seem to be playing hide and seek with me. I can hear them but as soon as they see me they dart behind the tree.

    You got some great shots and I have enjoyed them immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Hairy photos! My suet dispute this morning was between 5 Northern Flickers and 1 Downy! That little Downy held his own for a good while! Then a big Black-billed Magpie flew in and spoil the fun for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow...great photos of the Hairy woodpeckers! The female looks very cute sitting there. I have several downys that get very territorial over the suet, even though I have at least 3 suet cages hanging up. Lately I have had a male Hairy stopping by. I don't see them very often and haven't gotten shots as good as these.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful pictures of the woodpeckers. I love watching them and get the same kind out back but have never gotten a photo up close like these.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice photos of those super cool birds! I love the bird feed image. It really shows what they are made for!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great series interesting looking feet.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely pictures!
    Thank you for sharing) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love these, such sweet little one and great images!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't think I've ever seen one on my deck wall. Unusual for her to sit there. But great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ahhh, Hairys! They are always so cute! I love woodpeckers. I don't see either species here in AZ unless I go far north to the Mountains!

    Stay safe and warm in that blizzard tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The show from outdoors is always better than anything indoors on a screen as you always show us, Grace. Great closeups of these good looking birds. Hope you are safe and warm and waiting to see snow shots soon!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are cute pictures, good to know the difference. Now when they come here for feeding I will know.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Grace, great story and pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  40. Fabulous photos Grace. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete