Sunday, November 18, 2012

~~Pine Siskins~~


I had heard that there might be an influx of Pine Siskins this fall and winter, but still  was very surprised one afternoon the last week of October when I heard a lot of bird talk coming from the back deck!
There was so many of these little guy's that you could hardly see the deck!!  The feeders where alive with them all jostling for a position to get at the seeds!!
I did a count as best I could from photo's and by eye 42, to have a count to report on my eBird list, and that was far less them there where !!  Very busy they are !!

These are just a few of the shot's I got.  The sun was very strong and I had to shot through he window..that's always a "bummer" !!



The yellow on the tail and wing, is the way to identify the male, but they also do resemble
 other finches, especially the female who lacks the yellow!! 



Male !!


Any position to get the seed!!







Is there any left???

They cleansed up ever seed there was, and quickly as they came they where gone!!



22 comments:

  1. What a great company of birds. They occasionally stop here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are so cute! we got to see them a couple of winters ago. wonder if they'll come this far south again this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are such cute birds, Grace! And fun to watch at the feeders. They can get a bit feisty with each other. I am glad they stopped by your yard and your had a count for ebird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! that's a lot of birds!!
    such cute little ones. i don't think we have them down here!
    maybe they'll be back...after they make the rounds of the neighborhood & empty all the feeders! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I was going to say that if you have too many,just send them my way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace these guys will eat you out of house and home and entertain you for hours to boot! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now realize I don't know a pine Siskin from a standard goldfinch. Shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had 20-30 here before Sandy. It was such a treat to watch these little birds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos ! I sit , watch and take photos of the birds here for hours they can be quite comical ! Have a good evening !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Piggies they are, Pine Siskins!! One year I had an influx and they surely do eat one out of house and home. I couldn't keep up ... especially as I wanted some of the other birds to get some too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've certainly got a busy place there Grace. Lovely little birds, and great captures of the activity.
    They look very similar to the Siskins we get here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very entertaining. just as well with them eating Niger seed. One needs ones moneys worth.
    Great to see the wee mites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Grace, you've captured a great series of images and I can just imagine the noise and commotion as they cleared out your feeders!!
    And I can also imagine how the counting went...1..2..3..er..1..2..er..1..2..3..4....lol....[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Susan...: )

    Thank you Teresa...hope they do : )


    Thanks Eileen ...Yes you had your fun watching then when you got invaded too!! : )


    Thanks Laura..I would love to have them back again!! : )


    Thanks You Ruth...I will see what I can do : )


    Thanks Sondra...true statement : )


    Thanks Jean...You are funny ...Siskins have stripped chest and Goldfinches don't!! : )


    Thanks J&S...Hopefully they will pay you another visit!! : )


    Thanks Elaine...best entertainment there is right? : )


    Thanks Elaine...Ya some places see them a lot, but those of us who don't get excited ..maybe we wouldn't if the little "Piggies" where eating us out of house and home!! : )


    Thanks Keith...I think they may be the same, no matter they are a fun group to watch : )


    Thanks Adrian..It is a bit pricey feeding, but I don't buy Niger seeds!! I find black oil sunflower seed a favorite of just about any winter birds !!: )

    Thanks Trevor...haha..ya it is a chore trying to count without recounting : ) I just keep moving the camera bits at a time and keep my finger on the trigger!! By eye
    ya 1..2..3..crap : ))


    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a bit worried about your maths Grace. The most I can see is 4 or 5 Pine Siskins - er not quite 42 is it? I might have to contact those folks at Ebird and get them to check you out. Anyway what's with the shooting through glass bit? I know winter is on the way but if you open one just a liitle you can stick your lens out but still stay nice and warm in the house. That's what our bedroom window is for anyway, or it would be if there were any garden birds around - zero at the moment until the dreaded snow arrives. Actually I'm quite jealous of your siskin photos, and I'll be trying hard to get some as good soon, but with the window open.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In a moment they came looking for some food, and went away when it was all gone, miserable scumbags. Love the treasury that you have there, the Pine Siskins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty good sharpness in spite of the window. How dou keep the squirrels away?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those shots through the window turned out great, Grace. I especially liked the first one. We have put the feeders out and already had some of the unwelcome visitors visit them, also lots of house finches, couple of blue jays and pair of cardinals.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice! They're very similar to our redpolls, who also come in herds. They come every day though, several times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You were truly inundated! I love that you have become an eBirder! Good job! P.S. they do have tips on counting large flocks in their frequently asked questions link I think.

    ReplyDelete