Monday, November 12, 2012

~~~Enjoying the Deer~~~ Part 1


It is deer hunting season here in Maine right now, and we are about half way through it!!  It began the 27th of Oct.and ends Nov. 24th !  Then of course there is also Bow hunting season in there somewhere!!
It is bucks only unless your name was drawn to have a doe permit !!
I goggled  Pro's,and  Con's of deer hunting ...it is quite the subject as you might imagine!!  It runs the gambit of radical to reasonable, pro and con !!  For me ...it is the way it is , but it doesn't mean I have to like it!!

There is always deer in the woods in back ,I see them and signs of them all the year round , and it is always a delight when I see these majestic animals appear in the open!!  This does concern me though, would not want anything to happen to them!!
On the Sunday morning before deer season opened it was very misty and foggy!!  I was sitting with my coffee talking on the phone with my daughter (she calls me every Saturday and Sunday morning at 8:00) ; )
when I looked out to the back yard and there was a buck, doe, and spring twin lambs,  coming through the mist toward the house!!  I just said "DEER"... "hang on" ,I need to try for some shot's!! Window to window I went ( this is the way to shoot a deer ; }) !!
Through the window, fog and mist these are the best of the worst !! ; )


Six point White Tailed Buck !! It is breeding season , most likely why the buck is present!! 
He is enjoying the leaves of my Comfrey plant!!

Notice that this area is pretty well trimmed down ..it's like a gourmet  table to them  !!
Phlox and Comfrey they really love, especially the Comfrey ,and that doesn't break my heart
because if you have ever grown Comfrey you know it spreads like wildfire,and stands at least 
4ft tall...that is before the deer discovered it !

This made me laugh.. sneaking up he thinks!! 


Ears back on the big fella saying "I know your there" !!


Then the "Get out of there", and 
of goes  the  active one of the twins : ) !!


 Of looking for more trouble!!
The one facing seemed to be the active one( probably male ; ) )
and the other quiet ,and behaved!!

Here is Mom ,who has  moved down nearer to the house !!


By winter spring lambs would have lost there spots, but these guys 
seem to be still quite spotted !!

The active guy has moved even closer to the house ...further than Mom !!
Very curious!!

I will leave the rest for tomorrow, (part 2) getting on overload here!!

20 comments:

  1. Wow ganz grossartige Fotografien! Kompliment...

    Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz

    Hans-Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, I like the way you shoot deer. I would be the same way. There is bow hunting in the woods next to my house and it runs from Sept thru Jan. I am always glad to see hunting season come to an end. I loved your deer photos, especially the cute twins. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always sorry to see hunting season arrive and relieved to see it end. I make sure I wear my bright orange hat and vest when I go for a walk. I wouldn't want to become a hunter's target.

    These photos of the family of four are excellent, Grace. But is your daughter still waiting for you to come back to the phone!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grace. Great shooting, in my opinion the only kind where these beautiful animals are concerned. I hope they survive the next couple of weeks and come back to dine at your place again and again (they obviously know a good eatery when they see one!!)...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!I now have some deer visit my yard every night.I love to have them there now,but hope they will leave come springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those photos were brilliant!!! What beautiful animals they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos Grace! I would much rather 'hunt' deer with a camera than a gun any day!
    J
    Visit my new blog 'Fragments of the Past'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic photos ! The guns are going off here in the area . I to don't really like the idea as nature to me is a photo shoot not a gun shot but on the other hand I get it as well , my dad was a hunter . The circle of life ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely images GG and a great new header as well.
    In UK deer are only culled that are old and infirm purely to keep the numbers down so that there is sufficient food for the rest. In many areas there are plenty of deer now. The little muntjacs are everywhere. I also get to see the occasional Roe and more often than not Fallow deer. Lovely animals. Do wear something bright when you go out, watch out for the trigger happy types.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i just love those babies and their spots!!

    i am not sure how anyone could hunt them, i just couldn't do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Teresa : )


    Thank you Hans-Peter : }


    Thanks Eileen...I like my way best to! That's a long Bow season, I wouldn't like that either! : }


    Thanks Jean..No she isn't lol she hung up on me : )

    Thanks Trevor...I an hoping so to...I hate it when I hear gun shoots!! : )

    Thanks Ruth ...I get what you mean!! : )


    Thanks Denise.. : )


    Thanks John : )


    Thanks Elaine...My Dad hunted to, yes true : )


    Thank you Roy....Hunters orange is not my color, but for my safety I shall do so ; )


    Thanks Debbie..I just love those
    spot's too! : )


    ReplyDelete
  12. AWW they are so cute...I dont like deer hunting or any kind really, Animals have family and feelings and emotions as do all living things...when one is killed a hole is left in that family unit! I blow my horn as loud as possible when I see the hunters sitting by the edge of the woods... in hopes it will give the deer a heads UP to move away from that area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun series of photos. I photographed a deer this weekend walking in Garden of the Gods!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fawns! I have mixed feelings about deer hunting. I know it is necessary. The deer population here is getting out of control. But like you....I have trouble liking it. Once you look at their faces or watch them like this....how can you shoot one? I know I couldn't. But hunters help pay for a lot of the places I like to go to see birds with their licenses and fees.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely series of shots! I love it when wildlife comes to me and I can shoot out my window. Of course, I prefer it when I am able to get out in the yard to take the photos because they never seem to be quite as good through the pane of glass. My visitor today was a little red fox. I kept wanting to run outside, but they move through the yard so quickly I was afraid I wouldn't get any shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wonderful post and nice pictures. A pity we do not have too many mammals over here ;-) But then I enjoyed your post better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photos Grace. How amazing to have them visit your garden, I would love that. Like Sondra I strongly disagree with hunting or killing of any creatures. Just because we are not clever enough to understand their language we think they are inferior to us when in fact their intellect far exceeds ours in many ways.

    Was your daughter still hanging at the end of the phone after your photo shoot? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH lovely deer!!!! so beautiful!

    i hate it when i hear that early morning gun shot. =(

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know Grace about the saying "You learn something everyday" (even as old as we both are), well today I learned that deer like Comfrey. I'll ring you Sunday morning at 8am and we will discuss the pros and cons of deer (and bird) hunting.

    ReplyDelete